Jedfest sourmashed

This forum is for posting announcements for upcoming meetings or events.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Forum rules
Members need to be aware that as all meetings and events are beyond the control of the administration team here and as such homedistiller and it administration and moderators are not responsible for any action and or occurrence at any meeting or event. Members choose to participate at their own risk and responsibility
For security reasons do not post personal information including names exact addresses,phone numbers and detailed itineraries, this sort of information can be communicated via private message, emails or by phone call
thecroweater
retired

Re: Jedfest sourmashed

Post by thecroweater »

Yeah at our little meet the other night I met one guy I had known through the forums for yrs. He couldn't have been further from how I imagined him to be, not that that is bad just interesting
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

Bigbob wrote:Hey Boom, just to let you know, Uncle Lums bumper stickers are being spread around my town quickly! So you better find that distributor! :wave: :thumbup:
Thanks Big Bob!
“…Let’s do this one more time....”
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

BoomTown wrote:
Bigbob wrote:Hey Boom, just to let you know, Uncle Lums bumper stickers are being spread around my town quickly! So you better find that distributor! :wave: :thumbup:
Thanks Big Bob!
Hey BB, Thanks! and BTW, some of you folks may have noticed I am a bit single channelled...but.... I did taste that White Whiskey, and thought,....humm wonder what ours tastes like if bottled at 80 Proof....

well, I'm here to tell you, we grabbed the hearts (@ 130 p) on this last run....cut those puppies back to 80 p...was aiming for 90 p, but what the hey? Am sipping my second Glen Cairen glass right now...and wondering.... wow, why oak this stuff at all? Not saying it's good, you'll have to wait for Jedfest next to decide that for yourselves, but, I aint gonna be drinking nothing else for a while!
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

Boom
I still have a small bit of last years dirty bastard in the white. It is one of my favourite drops ever now.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
ranger_ric
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ranger_ric »

Awe BT,

The sweet smell (taste) of victory....
congrats...
Amazing what the delete button on the heads will do for ya' !!!
If you are not willing to learn
No One Can Help You...
If you are Determined to Learn
No One can STOP you!!
We want you to be safe and succeed so start here
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

ranger_ric wrote:Awe BT,

congrats...
I like a little head BUT I love alot of TAIL.
big help
Dunder
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

jedneck wrote:
ranger_ric wrote:Awe BT,

congrats...
I like a little head BUT I love alot of TAIL.
yes sir!
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Randy Marsh , I'm sipping that miniature wheated bourbon you gifted me . You wrote on it that it was 'early'. If that's the case late stuff would cause me to bring back things I never even stole . All of you folks showed me how far behind the curve I fell when I had to take a dive over that daughter .
>I got some high marks to shoot for .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
RandyMarshCT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by RandyMarshCT »

That small sample was from last year's Jedfest and it is the very same bourbon that I gave you in the bigger bottle, but the bigger bottle was finished. The little bottle was taken out of the barrel so I could bring it to sample with everyone... I think it was only 4 months on oak. The big bottle was a full year on oak. If I was patient it would have gone longer, but I have to be honest.... that barrel was half empty by the time it reached 1 year. I couldn't keep my hands off it. After I make a 100% wheat whiskey (inspired by rager) I'm gonna run that bourbon recipe again. I really like it. It's 58% corn, 20% 6-Row, 15% Wheat, and 7% Maris Otter barley. I think I might switch the 6-Row and Wheat percentages next time.
Life member, representative, and proud supporter of the Hobby Distiller's Association.

http://www.hobbydistillersassociation.org
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

Just drove up to the dream house (that's how I'm thinking about our distillery these days) on one of the prettiest mornings I've woken up to in some time. Misty whisps of clouds slipping down the flanks of the multi-colored mountains, drifting past fields gold with standing corn, and grey with ready-for-harvest soybeans. Amash farmers moving machines around with mules hitched 4 wide. Temperature maybe 45 degrees. and skies as blue as a girl friend's eyes. I'm gonna may 4 gallons of whiskey today.

Does it get any better than that?
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

BoomTown wrote:Just drove up to the dream house (that's how I'm thinking about our distillery these days) on one of the prettiest mornings I've woken up to in some time. Misty whisps of clouds slipping down the flanks of the multi-colored mountains, drifting past fields gold with standing corn, and grey with ready-for-harvest soybeans. Amash farmers moving machines around with mules hitched 4 wide. Temperature maybe 45 degrees. and skies as blue as a girl friend's eyes. I'm gonna may 4 gallons of whiskey today.

Does it get any better than that?
Damn! Sat back and took a reflective pause on that one. Very nice Boom. WINDY!!!! Lets get our stillery going bro! I found a perfect building to start a distillery, but I dont know if its for sale or lease. Someone is in process of fixin it up. 2 garage doors, Lots of power wired to it. An office. Not sure on water, pretty key for a gig like this.

Ive been lusting after it ever since I first saw it.
building.JPG
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
RandyMarshCT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by RandyMarshCT »

Looks like it has a loading dock and gas as well. Floor drains? That would just be begging for a distillery. DO IT GUYS!
Life member, representative, and proud supporter of the Hobby Distiller's Association.

raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

Hey, has TB ever posted his methods for making the UJ that everyone liked so much?
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

raketemensch wrote:Hey, has TB ever posted his methods for making the UJ that everyone liked so much?
I just stumble around and try to salvage what tastes good to me . That was gen 5 UJ stripped then doubled with a bit of water in the thumper on the spirit run . Collected in half pint jelly jars and aired for 36 hours . I do not have a refined palate so I blended on the side of caution . As luck would have it ; MCH stopped for a visit a week or so after I put it in jars . He bragged it so much that I sent a sample with him . I put a half gallon on oak and left the rest white . The white was 120 days old when it went to Jedfest and the other had been on oak for 70 days . It was young .
>Other guys there showed me benchmarks I need to meet to compete with myself . I'm glad they liked what I proffered . I call it ,'Even a blind hog will find an acorn if he roots hard enough .'
> Wish I could give you some magic touch , but I can't . Leave out speed and greed and add a lot of patience . That should put you well on your way :wave:
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
wtfdskin
Swill Maker

Post by wtfdskin »

Boom, if your "dream house" is where I think it is, your about 9 miles from me. I would love to get a tour someday when you are in the area and have the time.
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

i dont know anything about doing sour mashes, yet.. but i think the reason why TBs 5 gen was such a stand out had to have been from the sour mashing process . the nose of the spirit really took you back. but in a good way that made you want to taste. i think i sipped the 120 straight. but only .5 oz or so . its got me inspired to all corn with enzymes and start a multi gen sour mash.

first gen mash is almost done.....
ranger_ric
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ranger_ric »

Wow only 5oz of 120 proof.... Damn gotta be good cause I cant feel my toes...
Thats like a pint of 80 proof..........
Actually TB I salute you on a product well done.. Sure wish I could get a taste of some of your fine white dog!!!

Slainte !!

Carry On
RR
If you are not willing to learn
No One Can Help You...
If you are Determined to Learn
No One can STOP you!!
We want you to be safe and succeed so start here
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Jedfest sourmashed

Post by raketemensch »

Thanks TB, it's actually good to know that it isn't some secret ingredient or crazy flute configuration or something. I've got gen 3 in the keg, and 20 gallons of gen 4 should be finishing up any day now, I can't wait to run it. The thumper's going to have to wait a few weeks, though. I've worked out a way to use the 5-gallon stockpot as a thumper, and still convert it back to a pot still when I need it.
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

ranger_ric wrote:Wow only 5oz of 120 proof.... Damn gotta be good cause I cant feel my toes...
Thats like a pint of 80 proof..........
Actually TB I salute you on a product well done.. Sure wish I could get a taste of some of your fine white dog!!!

Slainte !!

Carry On
RR

lol nonono 1/2 ounce of 120 . couldnt really try anymore than that on any of the 60 bottles of spirits on that table
RandyMarshCT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by RandyMarshCT »

I bet I drank 5 oz of it. Went back to it 3 times after the first taste. And I'm pretty sure it was 130 proof.

MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

RandyMarshCT wrote:I bet I drank 5 oz of it. Went back to it 3 times after the first taste. And I'm pretty sure it was 130 proof.
it is hot out of the bottle. weird. no sugar ==bite. so corny and smooth. TB, this is goood sheet. .
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Stay low, Jed, there's a surveillance blimp headed your way...
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:Stay low, Jed, there's a surveillance blimp headed your way...
For sure and it has 2 armed fighters accompanying it to do the ground work :moresarcasm:
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

I ain't scared, I'm just cooking a corn malt, wheat, and cherry beer.
big help
Dunder
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

Figured I would check in here. As stated earlier we had a fest cuts session and there is amfew jars floating out there in HD never never land. Just wondering what has been done to them. Mine is sitting on a stick from my wild yeast bourbon and a block from my pear brandy. Had to pour amwee sample, guys we did good but I'd like a little more tails (the really late stinky funky frumunda ones)
Happy Hollydays friends.
big help
Dunder
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

img20151224_225422.jpg
Oak 380 degrees, medium to heavy char. In the attic. To the right, I kept a half pint of it white at the same %, 58%. The quarter pint is white, at 45%. This is really just my sipping jar while it ages. :thumbup:
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

wtfdskin wrote:Boom, if your "dream house" is where I think it is, your about 9 miles from me. I would love to get a tour someday when you are in the area and have the time.
Will be at the house after noon today and for the next 8 days. Call 703 593 9056 to be sure I'm not out doing errands when you want to drop by, and I'll gladly give you the tour...such as it is.

Boom
Last edited by thecroweater on Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: I removed what looks like a personal phone number as i believe it poses an unacceptable risk to the poster and on advise replaced it
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

BoomTown wrote:
wtfdskin wrote:Boom, if your "dream house" is where I think it is, your about 9 miles from me. I would love to get a tour someday when you are in the area and have the time.
Will be at the house after noon today and for the next 8 days. Call XXX XXX XXXX to be sure I'm not out doing errands when you want to drop by, and I'll gladly give you the tour...such as it is.
Boom
Guys please! posting numbers and addresses should be left to private messages, you are placing yourself in harms way making such information accessible to either the authorities or the general public, be safe guys
Edit just occurred to me you have recently started a licenced distillery so this warning may or may not apply, if you are happy to have your number posted publicly feel free to change it back :thumbup:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

thecroweater wrote:
BoomTown wrote:
Will be at the house after noon today and for the next 8 days. Call 703 593 9056 to be sure I'm not out doing errands when you want to drop by, and I'll gladly give you the tour...such as it is.
Boom
Guys please! posting numbers and addresses should be left to private messages, you are placing yourself in harms way making such information accessible to either the authorities or the general public, be safe guys
Edit just occurred to me you have recently started a licenced distillery so this warning may or may not apply, if you are happy to have your number posted publicly feel free to change it back :thumbup:
With all due respect, I've been hidden long enough. I'm happy to have the world know that after 50 years of wanting to do this, we are open for business, and welcoming our friends and neighbors to visit or call, even if they carry a badge. We've nothing to hide here, and no reason to not let our friends know who we are, and where we are, and offer them a toddy. Thanks for your concern, and be assured, I will protect the privacy of my friends.
RandyMarshCT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by RandyMarshCT »

jedneck wrote:Figured I would check in here. As stated earlier we had a fest cuts session and there is amfew jars floating out there in HD never never land. Just wondering what has been done to them. Mine is sitting on a stick from my wild yeast bourbon and a block from my pear brandy. Had to pour amwee sample, guys we did good but I'd like a little more tails (the really late stinky funky frumunda ones)
Happy Hollydays friends.

Oh man... I just realized I never shipped the box I have sitting at my shop to get that jar from you! Shit!

Any chance you still have that jar? I'll send the box out this week if you do. I'll throw in an imperial maple porter I made, for your efforts!