New Zealand south island meet and greet

This forum is for posting announcements for upcoming meetings or events.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Forum rules
Members need to be aware that as all meetings and events are beyond the control of the administration team here and as such homedistiller and it administration and moderators are not responsible for any action and or occurrence at any meeting or event. Members choose to participate at their own risk and responsibility
For security reasons do not post personal information including names exact addresses,phone numbers and detailed itineraries, this sort of information can be communicated via private message, emails or by phone call
pounsfos
Distiller

New Zealand south island meet and greet

Post by pounsfos »

Howdy Ya'll

I've been meaning to do this for a while now, I know most distillers in nz are in the north Island (maybe someone can organise something up there)

I'm just putting feelers out there to see how many are down here (I'l be making flyers for the local brew shops) and was thinking why not do a meet and greet/swap thingamajig

Since it's legal over here, I feel we should be doing this sort of thing.

No dates, no time s yet, just seeing what interest is, otherwise I'm thinking maybe we can do a nz version of posting bottles to each other.

sorry admins really didnt know where to put this so I just guessed....

Regards

Scott
45South
Novice

Re: New Zealand south island meet and greet

Post by 45South »

Hi Pounsfos, I'm at Purakaunui, coastal Otago, or Danseys Pass, have only met 1 other stiller. Would be interested, cheers, Norm.
Kiwikeg
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kiwikeg »

Not wanting to rain on your parade. But if your planning on sharing your product with other distillers you would be liable for excise tax.
Its only legal to distill in your own home FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY!
Swap a bottle events or even gifting a bottle to a mate is not "legal"

It's not a legal/illegal issue so much as a excise tax issue

You cannot supply your homemade alcohol to any person outside of your immediate household ie anyone who does not live in the same private home as you. This means bartering it, swapping it or even gifting it to a mate is subject to excise tax and you will need to become licensed.

From NZ Customs Website

'' If you grow tobacco or make alcohol in your private home for your own consumption and personal use, and not for reselling or supplying to any other person, then you do not have to be licensed as a manufacturing area and will not be liable for excise duty.

If at any time you start selling or supplying your goods then you will need to become licensed and will be liable for excise duty"

http://www.customs.govt.nz/manufacturin ... fault.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Last edited by Kiwikeg on Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Kiwikeg wrote:Not wanting to rain on your parade. But if your planning on sharing your product with other distillers you would be liable for excise tax.
We don't share. We don't swap likker. We only drink our own. Anyone who suggests we do otherwise probably also has fairies at the bottom of their garden.
pounsfos
Distiller

Post by pounsfos »

thank you for your concern kiwikeg, I do not want to get into a debate with you, but I have rang the local police and have gotten them to give me a better definition of what this means.

in short, you can "trade and gift" your product as long as no money is being exchanged, and it is not regulalry
(A.K.A weekly), also, a meeting or "swapmeet" is fine, as long as the lovely "money word" is not used or exchanged as the swapmeets

and yes 4sschris I would love to see your rig or meetup with you
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Unfortunately, I'm at the northern end of the country.

That was an interesting take on the rules by the police. Common sense prevailing.
Madmead
Novice

Post by Madmead »

NZChris wrote:
Kiwikeg wrote:Not wanting to rain on your parade. But if your planning on sharing your product with other distillers you would be liable for excise tax.
We don't share. We don't swap likker. We only drink our own. Anyone who suggests we do otherwise probably also has fairies at the bottom of their garden.
Next they will be saying cannabis is illegal lol