Truckorama

This forum is for posting announcements for upcoming meetings or events.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Forum rules
Members need to be aware that as all meetings and events are beyond the control of the administration team here and as such homedistiller and it administration and moderators are not responsible for any action and or occurrence at any meeting or event. Members choose to participate at their own risk and responsibility
For security reasons do not post personal information including names exact addresses,phone numbers and detailed itineraries, this sort of information can be communicated via private message, emails or by phone call
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Truckorama

Post by Bigbob »

Thanks again to Mr and Mrs. TruckingButch, I'm here at my hotel for the night to get some much needed sleep!!(also much needed shower!) Heading out early tommorow back to reality, I'm going to stress again, if you ever get a chance to go to one of these meets,DO IT!!! I have had so much fun and learned new things at these partys. You could not ask for friendlier people. The food and spirits are always top notch and this was certainly not an exception. Thanks to Butch for getting this going!
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
panikry83
Swill Maker

Post by panikry83 »

Whew, what a weekend! Thursday night/Friday morning was rough dealing with a pretty bad hangover - I'm blaming the Bundy, Crow. But, as I shook off the cobwebs and got into the spirit of things, the rest of the weekend was fantastic! Butch and his Mrs. are wonder hosts and great people - I'd stop by anytime to shoot the shit. It was great seeing everyone again and meeting some new folks. We all thought the table was looking pretty good… until MCH showed up and doubled what was there. I'm inclined to say that I tasted everyones offerings and they were all spectacular. The food, drink, and conversation were all a step above and the cuts sessions helped me see that I'm right in the ballpark of where everyone else is; I now feel like I've made some improvements over the last year. All in all, a great experience. If you haven't gotten to be a part of an S3 meet-up, do it! It's well worth it. Can't wait to do it all again next time.
panikry83
Swill Maker

Post by panikry83 »

A HUGE thank you to Truckinbutch and his wife for putting the whole shindig together. He's said that hospitality is the language spoken at his place and I can attest that they are quite fluent.
JayD
Novice

Post by JayD »

Unfortunately i could not meet Crow whilst he was in America as I was on the other side of the country when he arrived...but I must say a big thank you for all making him and his lady feel welcome. It makes me feel happy you all had a great time.
J.
I run a 6" 4 x sieve plate bubbler (flute), all hand made by myself, Custom Copper Fabricator mounted on my 100ltr boiler...my approach to Hobby distillation is safety 1st, quality a close 2nd and making good friends with similar hobby's as myself.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

A truley loving and amazing family gathering. Everyone was glad to have the next person beside them. I had a moment where I just looked around, and watched everyone laughing and enjoying conversation with someone else. A group of 30 people, not wanting to be anywhere but where they were. That is probably why this thread was so quiet during the event. None was really reaching for their phones. We missed a chance to take a table picture, and even a group pic. But what was not missed was one moment with a friend. We got all those.

Funny. When we first started these meetings, it was focused on the spirits, comparing them, talking about how we do them. The times with each other were the beautiful by product, and an opportunity. But as I continue to go to these meetings, it becomes less about the spirits (but those continue to get more and more, and better! ), and the reason to get together is to spend time with each other, and maybe share a drink if we get to it. Not so much "how do you do this", but "did you get to do that thing we talked about last time?". And not "Hey, you make good spirits..", but "Hey, your spirts have come along way (and stories, too)! "

Mrs. Butch is an amazing host. I so enjoyed having her around, she feed the troops well. She opened her home and arms, and I am better in this life having known her. Thank you, Mrs. Butch.

MCH, rager, Randy, Mrs. Randy, panickry, BigBob, FMH, varocketry, thanks for being there. It is awesome to be around you all, I feel in the right place along side you all. You are beautiful people, and make beautiful spirits. Jeff, you might be missing your Roasty Whiskey. But I wouldn't know anything about that. Damn shame, one of my favorites. It will be enjoyed, I mean missed. Not that you can keep up with them all, anyways.

Loki, you crazy Bastard. It was a pleasure. Crow, lady Crow. Thanks for the time. You are amazing fun to be around, and give the aussies a fine name. Striprundave, you are damn fine company, and have a good soul. Thanks.

And butch, what can I say. Thanks for putting all of us together. Wouldn't have happened without you. You are good person, and you took us all in with gratitude in your heart and eyes. I was looking at both. Thank you. Anything you ever need, you tell me.

Thanks to all, and to that fine nephew that smoked that meal for us. I have missed that for a long time.

Thank you all, and I better see you all again very soon. Best group of people, and artist of spiritual nature, I have ever put my name beside.

The Bench
img20160807_190440.jpg
img20160807_190512.jpg
Last edited by ShineonCrazyDiamond on Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Thank's for the accolades . Shineon , I'll mail your bean seeds to you . Anyone forget some camp chairs ? We seem to have a couple extras .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
DSM Loki
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DSM Loki »

I'm nowhere as eloquent as the rest of these fine people but their words ring true. I wouldn't trade this weekend for anything.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

The bench is brilliant! Wish I coulda been there guys, just wasnt in the cards for me this year, we played an annual bash we do every year called Pondstock, I brought a bottle of bourbon and cheered you guys during the night. Sounds like a great time was had! Very awesome.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

bentstick wrote:...give them some Mich grown grain and let them taste our country
thecroweater wrote:I have positively come to the conclusion that excellent spirits can and are made in both hemispheres
Mission accomplished. :thumbup:
ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:When we first started these meetings, it was focused on the spirits, comparing them, talking about how we do them. The times with each other were the beautiful by product, and an opportunity. But as I continue to go to these meetings, it becomes less about the spirits (but those continue to get more and more, and better! ), and the reason to get together is to spend time with each other, and maybe share a drink if we get to it. Not so much "how do you do this", but "did you get to do that thing we talked about last time?". And not "Hey, you make good spirits..", but "Hey, your spirts have come along way (and stories, too)! "
That is exactly what I was thinking on the drive home. The meetings feel less like a gathering of clandestine hooch makers and much more like a family reunion, but only with the family you like hanging out with!

Thank you to all attendees, and especially large Thanks to Mr. & Mrs. TB for opening their home to us and hosting such a wonderful weekend. Great food, great spirits, great people.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FreeMountainHermit »

MichiganCornhusker wrote: That is exactly what I was thinking on the drive home. The meetings feel less like a gathering of clandestine hooch makers and much more like a family reunion, but only with the family you like hanging out with!

Thank you to all attendees, and especially large Thanks to Mr. & Mrs. TB for opening their home to us and hosting such a wonderful weekend. Great food, great spirits, great people.
Spot on MCH.

Working on a method to teleport potato salad from casa de la TB to my twenty will be my next project. :thumbup: :wave:
Blah, blah, blah,........
varocketry
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by varocketry »

Ditto that FMH, That potato salad even beat out those great day-long simmered, homemade from scratch, baked beans ... or maybe not ... but I loved both.

It did feel like a gathering of brethren and friends which is what I tried to explain to my wife when I got home ... "What'd you do for two days?"

It was such a great idea to time the gathering with Croweater's trip. They kept us enthralled with stories and insight from stilling to king crab sized Australian spiders that trap birds (complete with pics from the Internet). It was a hoot to hear then recount their wonder at Washington, DC and its museums and brash New York bicyclists. A joy to meet both Crows.

RandyMarsh and Beanie said they might be up for hosting S3:18 for a clam roast. I think we ought to keep that rumor alive! Right!
-Just need something else to build. -
varocketry
Site Donor
Site Donor

How to Make CUTS training at Truckorama

Post by varocketry »

CUTS-truckorama-sm1-sm1 1.jpg

CUTS training table and utensils at Truckorama.
-Just need something else to build. -
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

varocketry wrote:Ditto that FMH, That potato salad even beat out those great day-long simmered, homemade from scratch, baked beans ... or maybe not ... but I loved both.

It did feel like a gathering of brethren and friends which is what I tried to explain to my wife when I got home ... "What'd you do for two days?"

It was such a great idea to time the gathering with Croweater's trip. They kept us enthralled with stories and insight from stilling to king crab sized Australian spiders that trap birds (complete with pics from the Internet). It was a hoot to hear then recount their wonder at Washington, DC and its museums and brash New York bicyclists. A joy to meet both Crows.

RandyMarsh and Beanie said they might be up for hosting S3:18 for a clam roast. I think we ought to keep that rumor alive! Right!
Capital idea for S3 18 .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

i'm really bummed that life got in the way of me makin this shindig. sounds like tb dun did good. all of the attendees are welcome at my house.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
MichiganCornhusker
retired

You were missed, Jed, but I did bring your bottle of "Baconmaker" so you were with us in spirit! :thumbup:
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

well thankee kind sir.
big help
Dunder
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

You where missed for sure Jed, but I understand the problems. Hopefully the clambake at Randy's!! :thumbup:
FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FreeMountainHermit »

Nothing was too good for our host and hostess.
Even dug out the good crystal passed down from generation to generation. :thumbup: :lol:
Attachments
CUTS.jpg
Blah, blah, blah,........
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

jedneck wrote:i'm really bummed that life got in the way of me makin this shindig. sounds like tb dun did good. all of the attendees are welcome at my house.
Oh...Jed , you don't know how much you were missed . We hoisted many in your honor . We all agreed that we would have to make the same bitter choice , given the circumstances . It was the same for Moosemilk . Neither of you were forgotten .
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

i almost said f%%% it and baught 10 gallons of tranny fluid and headed your way saterday.
big help
Dunder
spirit run dave
Novice

Post by spirit run dave »

For being my first time at a gathering of this sort ,I was a little overwhelmed because of being so new.everyone made me feel like I was apart of the family.as was said above the food,drinks and great stories were memorable.after I got home and thought about the weekend, I feel that I brought usefull information home from everybody.the cuts was great gave me a better understanding.Thanks to everyone that was there hope to see u next year
All things can be worked on...but you can't fix stupid!
RandyMarshCT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by RandyMarshCT »

What a hell of a time!

Special thanks to Butch and his wonderful SOH! The food was excellent, I could eat those beans every damn day of my life! I love biscuits and gravy and we got to have them with sausage on Saturday morning and then chipped beef on Sunday morning. What could be better to recover from the haze of drinking hard liquor all night? Speaking of which... did the rest of you all notice how nobody had hangovers? Every time we do one of these events I'm amazed how hammered I can get without the slightest bit of a hangover. Just shows everyone is on point with their cuts.

By the way, Butch, those were my chairs... we completely forgot them. I've had them for a long time and gotten my money's worth out of them for sure. I hope they can be of use to you. Also, I hope you folks enjoy the pickles.

What a great opportunity to meet Mr. and Mrs. Crow, you guys are a blast to party with! The Bundaberg red rum was an interesting drop for sure. It almost had a flavor similar to southern comfort, but not really... I can't really describe it. I wonder if it tastes anything like cane toads? :lol:

Bigbob (smilin' Bob, haha), VARocketry, MCH, ShineOCD, Rager, FMH, & panikry it was great to see all of you again! DSMLoki & strip run dave it was great to meet you guys! It was also great to speak with Jed and Georgia flatwoods by phone.

West Virginia is a beautiful state with it's green rolling hills and 70 mph speed limits. I hope to return in the future. I put that tougher-than-nails picture of Butch up on my bedroom gun safe (yeah, one of my gun safes is in my bedroom... that's the one where I keep my most favorite guns).
Life member, representative, and proud supporter of the Hobby Distiller's Association.

http://www.hobbydistillersassociation.org
RandyMarshCT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by RandyMarshCT »

Oh yeah... and yes, I fully intend on doing a clam bake in the future for an S3 gathering! :thumbup:
Life member, representative, and proud supporter of the Hobby Distiller's Association.

MichiganCornhusker
retired

Sure was a good time, hanging out with HD friends was as much fun as sharing the spirits.
And the spirits were pretty damn good.

SCD brought a couple bourbon style whiskeys that I liked so much I'm gonna try to copy.
TruckinButch had so many cut jars that we were able to put up a nice sized keeper final blend on oak. Looking forward to how that ages out!
Panikry brought a fresh take on the walnut likker, Dio Palinka, and it was delicious. I'll definitely be doing another batch of that next spring to stay ahead of the aging on my walnut stock.

FreeMountainHermit showed up with a very nice jar of whiskey on oak chips, among other things, and we commenced to drinking it up right out of the jar, passing it around before he was even seated.
Smilin' Bob's SWEETFEED!, as usual, helped define the event for me. One of my favorite spirits, it was the first thing I sampled when I arrived, and the last thing I took a swig of before leaving.
Rager brought an excellent whiskey with maple syrup, I liked it so much I brought a sample back with me. I've got some sap left over from this spring and I might try to make something like it.

Randy's whiskey was every bit as good as I remembered from his Absinthe Fest last summer, would love to travel up to his neck of the woods again next year for a clambake. :thumbup:
It was a treat to sample the Bundaberg rum that the Crow's traveled over here with. I am happy they selected the classier "Red Label" version for us to discover. Hoping to catch up with them again as they work their way up to Michigan.
VARocketry's Oaked UJ continues to be a great example of that drink. When I first had it out at Woodshed's last summer I knew I had done something wrong with mine. :lol:
Also, thanks to VA for the shirts, I believe I've never looked more handsome, intelligent, and wise, wearing that shirt with drink in hand!

Had a great time riding out and back with Loki, we spent some of the time hatching a plan to do a joint effort whiskey this fall, wood fired, out on a creek in the woods.
It was a pleasure to meet Strip Run Dave, very laid back fella that already has a good handle on what he's doin. As he mentioned, the group cuts demo was enlightening. Interesting to hear how others approach those boarderline jars.
I've been lucky enough to enjoy Mrs. TB's cooking before, so I wasn't at all surprised that them biskits & gravy were soooooo dang good. As was everything else, the beans, the tater salad... I have no idea how Butch isn't 3 times his size living with such a good cook!

I am very grateful that I had the opportunity to addend this gathering, it was an honor to burn MCH into the oak next to so many esteemed stillers that were also able to make the journey to WV.

It will be a lifetime memory, thanks to all that made it happen!! :clap:
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Great write up MCH! I tried twice on Sunday night to do a write up but messed it up both times. You did a much better job then I could! This was a great event!
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Thanks for all the good feelings . We just got back from meeting up with JarheadShiner , another fine feller . Left the Crows in his hands for the next leg of their visit . We feel so lonesome now .
>Our home cured Canadian bacon and dried beef went into the beans and chip beef gravy respectively . Be happy to show any/all of you how to do these things up in your home kitchens . Simple , easy process .
DSM Loki
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DSM Loki »

Truckinbutch wrote:Thanks for all the good feelings . We just got back from meeting up with JarheadShiner , another fine feller . Left the Crows in his hands for the next leg of their visit . We feel so lonesome now .
>Our home cured Canadian bacon and dried beef went into the beans and chip beef gravy respectively . Be happy to show any/all of you how to do these things up in your home kitchens . Simple , easy process .
Please do. I love tasty food as much as I love tasty likker.
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

well i finally got a chance to sit down and do a write up for truckorama.

first thing i have to say is thanks to you butch and your wife. if you were to look up southern hospitality in a dictionary , you would find a picture of them.

man what a long weekend and a hell of an adventure. by the time randy , his wife and i showed up friday night the party had already begun. very casual evening sitting around and sipping a few drinks with some new faces and some familur. saturday morning started off with sausage gravy and biscuts. OMG , ive never had anything like it before. what a treat. mid morning turned into the after with everyone outside sipping on a drink talking with one another. as the hours progressed more people started showing up. once the grilled got dropped off (the night before by a front loader) we all knew we were in for something special for dinner. dinner was pulled pork that had been brined for 3 days, 50 chicken thighs, a ton of corn on the cob, roasted veggies , some home made pickles and a bunch of there fixins and i cant forget the smoked baked bean, butch those were amazing!. after we stuffed ourselves we all got comfortable and poured another glass. from what i gather it was mission for most everyone there to sample every bottle that was there. im pretty sure most of us were successfull. if i had to guess there was at least 50 different bottles probably closer to 60. as the night wore down the fire burned, stories were told and everyone seemed always have a smile on their face. night turned to day, and all the guest were greeted with another amazing breakfast of beef gravy and biscuts and fruit. we all got together and did a cuts seminar on butches feints fun. it was amazing the we all came pretty damn close to picking the cuts jar from the heads and tails. as we said our good byes, hand shakes an hugs went around. it was an amazing trip and thank you very much to both butch and his wife for hosting a party and inviting a bunch of crazy stillers over to their house for the weekend.

butch and please tell you wife thank you and also thank her for me for the gravy recipe

cheers everyone

rager
RandyMarshCT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by RandyMarshCT »

MichiganCornhusker wrote: Also, thanks to VA for the shirts, I believe I've never looked more handsome, intelligent, and wise, wearing that shirt with drink in hand!
Ditto, thanks VA! The shirts are awesome!

This description triggered a hilarious memory...

[My wife] Oh, you're from Michigan? Did you and MC come together?
[Loki] Yes, I did. Twice, actually. It was amazing.

:lol: :clap: Still laughing about that one.

MichiganCornhusker
retired

Oh, he's a quick wit that Loki... :roll: