Coffee

This forum is for posting announcements for upcoming meetings or events.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Forum rules
Members need to be aware that as all meetings and events are beyond the control of the administration team here and as such homedistiller and it administration and moderators are not responsible for any action and or occurrence at any meeting or event. Members choose to participate at their own risk and responsibility
For security reasons do not post personal information including names exact addresses,phone numbers and detailed itineraries, this sort of information can be communicated via private message, emails or by phone call
Bushman
Admin

Coffee

Post by Bushman »

Had a chance to meet Baxter Dad at a Starbucks for a cup of coffee today. Very interesting man with a variety of professional experiences. I am hoping to get to know him better as I think we can compliment each other and improve the products we produce. He as one of his background professions is owner of a micro brewery, I figure with his fermentation experience and my distilling experience together we might come up with great products. But even if we don't share experiences I believe he is a person I would like to get to know better like many in the HD family.
firewater69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Coffee

Post by firewater69 »

It's very cool to meet other like minded folks, I had the pleasure of meeting mashmaker back in September at a bike rally, a very nice guy and we have a lot in common. we never got the opportunity to sample each others product, but did spend a day riding around northwest Arkansas.
Moonshine.... American as apple pie & it's part of our heritage, history & culture.
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

That is very cool Bushman. A chance to meet a fellow hobbyist, very cool indeed.
Getting hung up all day on smiles
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

kiwi Bruce wrote:That is very cool Bushman. A chance to meet a fellow hobbyist, very cool indeed.

it is cool. after being on the site for more than 2 years, this summer i was able to make 2 gatherings on the east coast. im very happy to be able to make both. for all that i met, it has brought me closer to the forum. its been able to put a face and a person to their screen name. i hope to meet more memers in the future.

cheers everyone.
BaxtersDad
Swill Maker

Post by BaxtersDad »

It was my pleasure as well to meet Bushman in person! Looking forward to getting better acquainted in the upcoming months!
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

You have to be careful, though.

I once met that woodshed guy, he blacked my eye and he kicked my dog.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

raketemensch wrote:You have to be careful, though.

:esurprised: That's why I'm afraid to meet that Woodshed guy. I don't have a dog tho and if you kicked my cat one of the two would probably rip your leg off, He's not called "Fluffy The conqueror" for no reason.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

rager wrote:
kiwi Bruce wrote:That is very cool Bushman. A chance to meet a fellow hobbyist, very cool indeed.

it is cool. after being on the site for more than 2 years, this summer i was able to make 2 gatherings on the east coast. im very happy to be able to make both. for all that i met, it has brought me closer to the forum. its been able to put a face and a person to their screen name. i hope to meet more memers in the future.

cheers everyone.
The pleasure was mutual . :thumbup:
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

raketemensch wrote:You have to be careful, though.

Yeah. Met him too. Locked me in an upstairs bedroom and only let me out to eat, drink, cook dinner, compare notes on his wife's marbles collection (some of which he must have lost btw), drink some more, cook breakfast, sing, drink even more, dance and make fun of Windy City while he's holding forth on the back porch.

Evil man, I tell ya. My kinda guy. :moresarcasm:

tp
Grappa-Gringo
Swill Maker

Post by Grappa-Gringo »

Bushman.... and Baxtersdad.... I'll make my way south over the next few weeks, when I'm on holidays.... hopefully meet up with both of you since you're so close...
gg
They say, "you are what you eat"... Then I'm fast, easy and cheap!
BaxtersDad
Swill Maker

Post by BaxtersDad »

Look forward to seeing you again, GG!
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Grappa-Gringo wrote:Bushman.... and Baxtersdad.... I'll make my way south over the next few weeks, when I'm on holidays.... hopefully meet up with both of you since you're so close...
gg
I am still interested in the Blackstrap molasses GG. Baxterdad referring to my earlier post all my AG mashes have been done with malted grain, I have not yet used enzymes that is where I am hoping you can advise me.
BaxtersDad
Swill Maker

Post by BaxtersDad »

Bushman, I am far from an expert on enzymes, but I have used them a few times with what I think are pretty amazing results. Basically, the high temp enzyment (around 180 dF) thins out the cornstarch soup, this happens pretty quickly and you can see the thick glop becoming more liquid right before your eyes. I am not a chemist, so I can't say what else the high temp enzyme might be doing, but it seems to be making the cornstarch more soluable in water. The low temp enzyme (around 150 dF) does pretty much what malted barley would do, it converts the cornstarch to fermentable sugars. On my all corns, I used both high and low temp enzymes. I didn't use enzymes on my first bourbon, but when I next do a bourbon, I will probably use the high temp on the corn and let the malted barley do the low temp conversion, adding the malted barley in when the corn drops to 145 dF or so. The amount of each used is quite minimal, on the order of 0.3 ml per lb of grain, so for 10 lbs you would use 3 ml, which is barely more that half a teaspoon. A 16 oz bottle of each will last a long, long time!
Last edited by BaxtersDad on Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grappa-Gringo
Swill Maker

Post by Grappa-Gringo »

I looked at liquid enzyme at my supplier's shop but wasn't too sure on how or how much to use. I'm interested in trying it out as the cracked corn up here is really cheap. No worries about the molasses, I'll give you the heads up on when I plan my day trip.
They say, "you are what you eat"... Then I'm fast, easy and cheap!
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Just got my first batch of Alpha-Amylase and Glucoamylase today and will be trying a booners later this week - would love to meet and get together with other North westerners