CANCELLING A MEETING

This forum is for posting announcements for upcoming meetings or events.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Forum rules
Members need to be aware that as all meetings and events are beyond the control of the administration team here and as such homedistiller and it administration and moderators are not responsible for any action and or occurrence at any meeting or event. Members choose to participate at their own risk and responsibility
For security reasons do not post personal information including names exact addresses,phone numbers and detailed itineraries, this sort of information can be communicated via private message, emails or by phone call
thecroweater
retired

CANCELLING A MEETING

Post by thecroweater »

Hi guys, When it comes to organizing a meet up sometimes life can get in the way or unforeseen events can pop up. I have had this very thing myself and had to cancel a distillers meeting a few years back but should this happen as the organizer you really need to post your intention to cancel in your respective thread as soon as you become aware it is unlikely to go ahead regardless of the reason. If this doesn't happen people will make plans concerning work, family, sport ect. and will likely feel let down by last minute cancellations or worse still travel to events they are unaware have been cancelled. Cancelling can be quite embarrassing but sometimes shit happens and you deal with it, I had guys that made adjustments to come and felt I needed to ring them personally as well as a public announcement. just keep in mind once you organize these things it not just the "Internet" its people just like you with family and commitments just like you :thumbup:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: CANCELLING A MEETING

Post by Truckinbutch »

My deal is still in the works for next summer . No details yet . You make a very valid point . Considering the distance for you , Odin and others a last minute cancellation would be a right cock up .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

2nd annual summer BBQ at my place is still on the day after Proof. I'll either be in the hospital or at home having drinks with you fine folks.

Stay safe out there everyone and enjoy your encounters. :wave:
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Has anyone ever thought about a rotating basis. My thought is Jedfest is on the east coast, SS3 is in the Southwest and two trips that far apart is a bit of a stretch for most but if we had one a year on a rotating basis you might get a larger turnout as some would make it there vacation. Just a thought I see pro's and con's tothis suggestion.
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

I think it's possible to have too many people at events like this. After all, most of us are still felons-at-large. :problem:

tp
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Almost 30,000 members, many on the North American continent from Panama to Hudson Bay,clashes shouldnt be a big issue. Two meetingds close together in the same state or district how ever would not be sensible. Its never been a issue here as the distilling comunity are pretty tight in Oz and generally only have one or two per state a year. They just had a big one in northern NSW, kills me i had to pull out last minute for family reasons. They had a great show, spewing with jealousy :lolno:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

Great post croweater. S3 was vacation time for a few who came. We all know things happen. Letting people know the meeting is cancelled asap is important.

I like the way the meetings played out this year. The timing between them seemed natural and perfect.
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

T-Pee wrote:I think it's possible to have too many people at events like this. After all, most of us are still felons-at-large. :problem:

tp
Eggspecally when somebody shows up with a box of 18 bottle of different likker.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

jedneck wrote:
T-Pee wrote:I think it's possible to have too many people at events like this. After all, most of us are still felons-at-large. :problem:

tp
Eggspecally when somebody shows up with a box of 18 bottle of different likker.
Amen Jed. Not to mention that even one or two bottles from each person is a hell of a lot of booze when 12 to 20 people show up. Maybe what's needed to accomodate larger groups is some categories for consideration, maybe along the lines of a " White Whiskey table", "Vodka and/or Gin table", "Rums table", "Brandy Table", "2 year Plus Bourbon table", and "Quickly aged Whiskey" table.

Candidly, after about 6 hours of sampling at Jed's last year, I was lucky to tell the difference, and could have used a sign to tell me what I was pulling out next. And that was mostly before the crowd showed up.

I'm just suggesting, larger groups pose different problems for the host, and the guest.
“…Let’s do this one more time....”
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

It was just a suggestion but listening to others comments makes sense to keep it small!