Secret Stiller Society Day (S3)

This forum is for posting announcements for upcoming meetings or events.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Forum rules
Members need to be aware that as all meetings and events are beyond the control of the administration team here and as such homedistiller and it administration and moderators are not responsible for any action and or occurrence at any meeting or event. Members choose to participate at their own risk and responsibility
For security reasons do not post personal information including names exact addresses,phone numbers and detailed itineraries, this sort of information can be communicated via private message, emails or by phone call
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Secret Stiller Society Day (S3)

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

This is to commence the start of an annual day that the family of distillers get together worldwide to share and embrace this wonderful passion.

The thread comes out of a necessity, because the S3:16 thread is going a different direction. So, I make the below suggestion, because this annual meeting should be a collective of the group, and not dependant on any one member to host.
ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:You know what I think? I think we should make S3 a day, not a location. We could have several people host in different locations, but we all do it the same day. So Odin/Woo could hold one, Jed/Butch/Randy/Me/Boom could hold the northeast one, JBtexas/otherlonestars could hold a Texas one, Bear/and crew hold the PNW one, the boys down under hold one e.t.c..

We could all share experiences across the world on one day/weekend. Hell, with today's resources, you might be able to conference in other locations for a bit. It doesn't have to get that complicated, though, just different 'chapters' doing the same thing at the same time.

That's my vision. :relaxed:
So, my thought is, I'm always partial to the summer soltice, June 21st (realizing this is winter soltice for our southern hemisphere friends). At some point, the day our hobby is signed into legality, I would assume that day would be our day of celebration. But for now, I think this date works. What do you think? Of course, this year it is mid week, so S3:16 could be the 18th.

How does everyone feel about this idea? After the date is set, we just need a host in each region to offer a location.

This is not to limit all the other get togethers throughout the year, just an attempt to bring the S3 celebration to everyone.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
firewater69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Secret Stiller Society Day (S3)

Post by firewater69 »

I think it's a great idea Shine! :clap: :clap:
Moonshine.... American as apple pie & it's part of our heritage, history & culture.
Brutal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Brutal »

Some holidays are not numeric but on a given day of the month. Like Thanksgiving in the US is the last Thursday of November, and Easter is always on Sunday. Doing it that way would take away the cool date but always make sure it's on a weekend.

Also, just to mention, late June in many parts of the world is hot as hell. Other parts of the world they may be too cold. If we make it during the spring in the northern hemisphere that would be the fall for the folks down under. I'm just assuming that most of these are outdoor based parties so weather is always a factor.

Just a couple ideas.
Steam injection rig http://tinyurl.com/kxmz8hy
All grain corn mash with steam injection and enzymes http://tinyurl.com/mp6zdt5
Inner tube condenser http://tinyurl.com/zkp3ps6
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Maybe each region should set a date for each year. I like the concept but like BigBob came up north for our Proof meeting and also attended the S3, by having it on the same date that would be impossible. This year I was hoping that someone close to San Diego (within a day or two drive) would host something prior to the ADI conference so I could attend both. Looks like some of us are going to hook up in the evening after the conference times so all is good.

PS: Those that PM'ed me with their cell number I will be calling you soon.
panikry83
Swill Maker

Post by panikry83 »

I like this idea :thumbup:
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Yeah, my thought with June is that there is no other holiday I can think of to contend with. But I get what you are saying for the weather. I can get down with the weekend thing, too.

Now, I had thought of suggesting October 28th as a possible day... :twisted: . Kind of a tongue in cheek, rebellion finger :twisted: . That is a fall/spring date, but to your point, lose the weekend every year factor. And also, competes with Halloween. Not that I care about Halloween, but the kids do, and it is a factor to those with little ones.

Bush, this isn't supposed to be the ONLY get together. I still plan on attending Jedfest if there is a sequel, Butchfest, when it happens. One of these years I would really really, REALLY like to meet all of the PNW crew - whether that be Proof one year, or maybe one year I attend the PNW S3, instead of the northeast one (I do love our NE crew :lol: ). There's nothing stopping me going to ADI, then proof, then the Chicago S3 meeting all in the same year.

I do love the idea of a huge meet up with everyone in the same place, but I fear that just isn't going to ever happen for some. I had my bags packed for Pagosa Springs, but there is someone else equally excited, that would never be able to make it.

If there is one huge meet up, I will still be there with so much giddy. But we just need to think about the best structure in this time of change.

Edit: Posting with panickry.
Pesty
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pesty »

June is perfect round these parts.
Brutal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Brutal »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:Now, I had thought of suggesting October 28th as a possible day... :twisted: . Kind of a tongue in cheek, rebellion finger :twisted: .
Tax document. Took me a minute lol.
FuelMaker
Swill Maker

Post by FuelMaker »

I'd propose the saturday nearest the fall equinox: For the northern half of the planet the harvest is in, fruits are ripe and hopefully being turned into something tasty, and it won't interfere with summer activities and so I'm much more likely to be able to travel to a regional gathering.

For 2016 that'd put it at Saturday September 24th. At least around here September is perfect weather for an outdoor BBQ with sipping each others products.
"A little bit of oops goes a long way."
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Very cool, ShineOn, I like the idea of a stillers day of celebration. Kinda like others claiming April 20th as theirs.
Meets could still be arranged on weekends around the date, or of course, any other dates.
I'll be watching here for developments, thank you for carrying the S3 banner forward! :thumbup: :wave:
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

FuelMaker wrote:I'd propose the saturday nearest the fall equinox: For the northern half of the planet the harvest is in, fruits are ripe and hopefully being turned into something tasty, and it won't interfere with summer activities and so I'm much more likely to be able to travel to a regional gathering.

For 2016 that'd put it at Saturday September 24th. At least around here September is perfect weather for an outdoor BBQ with sipping each others products.
I'm totally down with this. Fall is my favorite season here and should be nice most places ( spring down under? ), and it signifies apple picking, and the season of corn. That is the weekend I usually pick apples, lol. I think it's relevant to the craft, and it's a beautiful time of year. Can't think of a holiday or anything that will get in the way. Some others will have to chime in about that time of year in their parts, but I love it. Good suggestion, FuelMaker. :clap: :thumbup:
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

For a msg board with world wide membership I believe havi
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

postus interruptus? :wtf:

tp
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

For a msg board with world wide membership I believe having a specific day would be less efficient than perhaps just forming regional or even state chapters of the s3 and setting a day for each to have a get together. Then consider a set day.Maybe have each chapter also host multiple events ,not nesissarily(sp?)A get together as a party,but maybe have workshops for the betterment of the spirits of all...brewclub style. Say have workshop's for all grain mashing, soldering,ageing, and always keep safety in the forefront.
Organize it as an organization so to speak.
Jb-t
Sorry for the double post...swear I wasn't driving :D

Deo Vendice

rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

i like all this and i will travel where ever and when ever. there isnt much that keeps me grounded. lets keep the ball rolling :clap: :thumbup: :wave:
pythonshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pythonshine »

As some of you may have noticed Yak and I have been working on a meet. Shall we call it, rather, COULD we call it S3CD? Secret Stiller's Society Canadian Division?
pythonshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pythonshine »

Also, If several of these events happen on the same day we could connect them via Skype or another form of program. I do understand the included implications with that, but it could simply be VoIP..no video? Thoughts?
Brutal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Brutal »

pythonshine wrote:As some of you may have noticed Yak and I have been working on a meet. Shall we call it, rather, COULD we call it S3CD? Secret Stiller's Society Canadian Division?
Personal opinion: The s3 meeting idea was conceived in 2014 and executed in 2015 at a beautiful small town in Colorado. It was a once in a lifetime event. It was something none of us will ever forget. I believe everyone who's got the same secret hobby that I do has some s3 inside them as well. I think it would be a great thing to keep the spirit alive wherever you are and involve like minded people. I personally would love to see the name stay in use and used responsibly at other meetings to carry on into the future.
pythonshine wrote:Also, If several of these events happen on the same day we could connect them via Skype or another form of program. I do understand the included implications with that, but it could simply be VoIP..no video? Thoughts?
If there was two or more meets going on at the same time I think a skype video call would be awesome. I don't see any problem with it and anyone who was not comfortable could easily put on their monkey mask and still participate.

Did I forget to mention the monkey masks?
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

In the new stillin' room. :esmile:
On watch
On watch
tp
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Im diggin the spirit of this thread. I think its time to wear our colors proudly with some biker vests to show our affiliation and region...
VestSm.JPG
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
RandyMarshCT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by RandyMarshCT »

Count me in.

Heck... I'm not even sure what's going on around here, I've been off the board for about a month and a half.

However.... whatever is going on, count me in! :thumbup:
Life member, representative, and proud supporter of the Hobby Distiller's Association.

http://www.hobbydistillersassociation.org
pythonshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pythonshine »

Well than its official, the mid/southwestern Ontario meet is now S3CD! I like the vest.
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Jimbo wrote:Im diggin the spirit of this thread. I think its time to wear our colors proudly with some biker vests to show our affiliation and region...
VestSm.JPG
I'm digging it!
Mine may need some of those fata$$ chains that go from snap to snap....

Deo Vendice

thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

I think you guys are keen to put up or suggest an exact date I'd be keeping the location very darn general on the open forum, i doubt the law it to interested in these meets as there is little in it for them but just the same PMs are good to for finer details :thumbup:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
pythonshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pythonshine »

I agree crow. For S3CD the final, date, time, and location will all be in PM.
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Jimbo wrote:Im diggin the spirit of this thread. I think its time to wear our colors proudly with some biker vests to show our affiliation and region...
VestSm.JPG
Add est. Jan 27 1791

Deo Vendice

pythonshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pythonshine »

nice one Jb-t Dont think it would fly in Canada lol. But I like it.
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

True...

Deo Vendice

pythonshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pythonshine »

Could the organizers of this event let me know(P.M.) of a date when it's fingered out? Might be able to set S3CD up on the same date if there are no schedule conflicts.
Haus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Haus »

VestSm.JPG
What would a 1%'er have done??? :thumbup:
you can lead a horse to water but it's hard as hell to drown it