San Jose Bay Area Ca.

This forum is for posting announcements for upcoming meetings or events.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Forum rules
Members need to be aware that as all meetings and events are beyond the control of the administration team here and as such homedistiller and it administration and moderators are not responsible for any action and or occurrence at any meeting or event. Members choose to participate at their own risk and responsibility
For security reasons do not post personal information including names exact addresses,phone numbers and detailed itineraries, this sort of information can be communicated via private message, emails or by phone call
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: San Jose Bay Area Ca.

Post by Truckinbutch »

This is great that we are seeing more collusion between members . 2or 3 folks get together and the info expands by mega digits . Big help for the hobby .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by JellybeanCorncob »

You know Truckingbutch I cut my teeth here at HD. But that's virtual. Having another human to to mull things over with in person is invaluable. Our hobby is talked about in a whisper with a wink and a understanding that we can't come out (so to speak) in public.
When I met with Big Bob, then Redwood Hillbilly I had no idea what to expect. We all took took a chance it has worked out well for me at least. It's nice to have a sounding board, a taste tester, and some new friends.
It's sad that we have to take a chance just to talk about something that we're so passionate about without a vetting process.
JBC
JBC
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

JellybeanCorncob wrote:You know Truckingbutch I cut my teeth here at HD. But that's virtual. Having another human to to mull things over with in person is invaluable. Our hobby is talked about in a whisper with a wink and a understanding that we can't come out (so to speak) in public.
When I met with Big Bob, then Redwood Hillbilly I had no idea what to expect. We all took took a chance it has worked out well for me at least. It's nice to have a sounding board, a taste tester, and some new friends.
It's sad that we have to take a chance just to talk about something that we're so passionate about without a vetting process.
JBC
I hear ya :clap: The hobby grows as more of us get together and share . I seem to see more of that all over the country . A small group in Michigan , another in the Northeast , another in the Redneck regions .
We are one . We are each other ...........
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Well boys it's been awhile, just got back from the mountains of wild California and ready to rock and roll!! JellyBean, we need to get together again and, I've met somebody else right near me who makes a decent drop! He is also interested in meeting with you and redwood. I should be hanging out more now, hope to see you soon!
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hey BB: welcome home! Yes we should get together soon. So after trying some of your ginger mix I made my own and shared some with Redwood. He seems to like it. I may never have tried the ginger liqueur if I didn't try it first. That is is what you don't get online. I also wanted to say that Redwood is a wealth of information. He knows his stills and is a go to person with electric. I wish he had some aged spirits I could have tasted. :lol: I did have some of his young heart's cut white dog that was so smooth it was dangerous.
Take care guys.
JBC
JBC
okie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by okie »

JBCC, we have to compare notes on scotch. I'm AG American 2 row malted and peat smoked, aged over used American Oak and a finish in used French Oak.
Never try to argue or reason with idiots and morons, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hey Okie: scotch style is something I really want to perfect. I'm no expert but I'm pleased with what I've made, and what I have on oak now. I have 3 barley whiskies that have been aging for 6 months. A 50/50 simpsons peated- golden promise malt, a cherrywood smoked, and a special B malt mix. Each one is distinctly different at this point but they are undeniably barley malt based. I'm trying to let these age for a year or more, but each time I taste it gets harder to resist bottling it. Around November it will be about a year and I'll have to make some decisions then.
I'm sure your interested in more than just an overview of what I have done.
Please feel free to pm me with any questions you have, but be forwarded: I may have more questions for you than you to me. :lol:
JBC
JBC
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

It's been a while but I just wanted to thank Redwood Hillbilly for his help yesterday and to give a review of the bottle the rye bourbon he gave me.
Redwood has given me lots of sound advice referring to distilling and hardware builds. Yesterday he put in a 4" hole and silver soldered a ferrule to the top of my thumper. Thanks Redwood. As for the bottle of Booze I sat down last night and poured me a shot with an ice cube. Never really liked young whiskey till now. He makes a smooth drop. The most pronounced flavor was corn with a slight rye kick in the afterburn. I still prefer the oak flavors in a aged bourbon but this is a good young whiskey. Redwood's going to have some very fine bourbon a year from now if he can keep his freeken pie hole out of it! Hahaha! :twisted:
Now I have to get started smoking grains and learning how to use my new thumper.
JBC
JBC
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

Thanks JBC, glad you liked the rye bourbon. It ain't bad for 5 weeks old (I think). If I can keep enough to age for a year, I think that it should be pretty good. Let me know how the mash tun / fermenter / thumper works out for you. That is my goto way of doing it, it makes working with AG so easy. No straining/pressing etc.

Also, thanks for the assistant chimney sweep help, the wood stove runs like it should now.
Jimy Dee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Jimy Dee »

JBC and Redwood - just discovered this thread and wouldn't I love to meet you all and BigBob and the others. I am a bit far away being at the other side of the world but it is good to be let into your secret meetings via this thread. More power to ye all. Enjoy, discover and make great likker. Jimy Dee
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Jimy:
Getting to meet a few people in person who are members of this secret society has been nearly as exciting as watching the first drops of alcohol come off my still, on my first, ever run. I believe that’s why some of the meet ups people organize on this site generate so much buzz. Look at the S3:18 thread. Nearly 3,000 views! I think how cool it would be to meet the people who I’ve learned from in these pages. And to compare notes, and sample each others spirits. I’m sure there are more people near me that distill but aren’t comfortable meeting in person. It is still illegal here in the States. Some day I’ll get back to the Emerald island and hope to visit you and maybe try some of the Irishman’s poteen.
sláinte mhaith
JBC
JBC