San Jose Bay Area Ca.

This forum is for posting announcements for upcoming meetings or events.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Forum rules
Members need to be aware that as all meetings and events are beyond the control of the administration team here and as such homedistiller and it administration and moderators are not responsible for any action and or occurrence at any meeting or event. Members choose to participate at their own risk and responsibility
For security reasons do not post personal information including names exact addresses,phone numbers and detailed itineraries, this sort of information can be communicated via private message, emails or by phone call
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

San Jose Bay Area Ca.

Post by JellybeanCorncob »

I've been here over a year and a half, and been distilling for about 2 years, and my whiskeys are really coming around. I don't post much because I've found most of my questions have been answered with a simple HD google search, and lots of reading. I feel as though I know many of you seasoned distillers just from reading; and learning from your posts. Man you guys are good. I feel it's time to reach out to people in my area. If anyone is interest in talking distilling with someone local you can pm me.
I hope this is the correct protocol.
With this being a hobby that is illegal in most countries I know this may be a slow process to gain trust.
Thanks
J.C.
JBC
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: San Jose Bay Area Ca.

Post by Bigbob »

I'm interested, I'll send a pm. :thumbup:
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Just got back home after a mini-meet with JellyBeanCorncob. Had a good time discussing stilling and did an exchange of spirits. As it is still early afternoon, I will sample later tonight and try to give a critique. Good time! :thumbup:
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Left to right Odins rye bread whisky,Dio Palinka, Scotch whisky
Left to right Odins rye bread whisky,Dio Palinka, Scotch whisky
Ok! Time for tasteing!
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Well since the Giants are losing, this was a good time to taste test.( happy birthday Jimbo !). So right off the bat JellyBean Corncob was at a disadvantage, I'm not a big fan of either scotch or rye. But..... He hit it out of the park! Both were very smooth with good taste and body. I was surprised by the rye bread whiskey that so much flavor comes through. JBC has got his cuts down and these where both excellent! :thumbup: Now for the Dio Palinka, I've had both MichaganCornhusker's and panikry's versions of this and loved it. JBC's was as good if not better! Very very good. I need to learn to make this stuff.

So all in all, a very fun day! I'm looking forward to more meetings with JellyBeanCorncob and we also talked of a California meet and greet. Great job! :thumbup:

PS: and to think I just gave him some crappy 1 month old sweet feed!!!
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Very nice. I've always wanted to try the rye bread whiskey, and the dio is a great recipe.
Love the blue tape, that's how I keep track of mine too.
Sounds like JC's got it down, and I'll bet he's in for a treat with that Sweetfeed.
Cheers guys! :thumbup:
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

First and foremost it was a pleasure meeting you Big Bob and I'm glad you liked my spirits. Having a compliment from you and especially being associated with HD it makes me confident in my spirit making abilities. I'm sure that future meetings will make me a better distillers. Or at the least make my friends happy that I finally found someone to talk whiskey making with so they don't have to hear about it any more. Ha!
I got home from work so late last night that I could only try your sweet feed whiskey.
Liked! It! I can only imagine how good it would be if it was aged for 6 months or even a year! Not just a month. I'm gonna try your honey shine next. Then the apple brandy.
It's great to have a new friend associated with distilling.
Till next time.
Cheers!
J. C.
JBC
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

MichiganCornhusker wrote: Love the blue tape, that's how I keep track of mine too.
Cheers guys! :thumbup:

"You know youre a stiller when?" lol . seems to be a common theme using blue painters tape to lable jars. got me thinking of lable ideas for my bottles....
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

I'm special........I use green!!

PS: hey JC don't forget to give that honey some time. Maybe do the apple next
CaliShiner
Novice

Post by CaliShiner »

Hi all,
I am in the East Bay and work in San Jose. Have a couple friends who have been running with. If I ever find some free time I'd love to share some samples and chat. Always wonder how my product stacks up.
Last edited by acfixer69 on Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed advertisement
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

JC and I where talking about having a monthly/ semi monthly meeting, we knew there where more Bayarea shiners! Keep tabs here. :wave:
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Apple it is BB.
My wife is a painting contractor so the blue tape was a no-brainer.
You bet CaliShiner. PM's work with me but Big Bob has been here longer than me.
J.C.
JBC
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Finishing off the rye bread whisky tonight. JellyBeanCorncob you sir make excellent spirits! I've never liked rye whisky
Proberly because I've never had any but commercial. This has a great taste,good body and smell, absolutely no heads, just all in all a great sample of home brewed excellence!! Thank you! :thumbup: :wave:
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

If you're ever in Vegas hit me up. I don't travel to the people's republic of California much anymore due to firearm laws and the price of out if state fishing licenses.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

I don't blame you! This state is getting crazier and crazier.
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Thanks Big bob. That is a great recipe Odin came up with. That's why it's in the tried-and-true section. Luckily there is a Dutch- Vietnamese deli that sells the rye bread near me. If you ever want to give it a go I can pick up a few loaves for you. I just put a gallon of it on oak last week. It's gonna be as good or better than the last batch I think. The sweet feed you gave me is gone. Boo-hoo :cry: I'm being good and gonna wait till you say the apple brandy is ready to try. Maybe we can do another meet next month. Got a few things I'd like to bend your ear over.
J. C.
JBC
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Ha-Ha it was the honey shine you where supposed to wait on! Oh well, the Apple is ready, still a teensy headsy. Another meet sounds good, let me know. :thumbup:
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Yes I was suppose to let the honey shine sit, but I did try some it's pretty darn good. The honey flavor comes threw in the finish. But last night I did have a dram of your apple brandy. I've never had apple brandy before and it was great! I can't believe how much the apple flavor comes through.
Did you use cinnamon? Yum. I've had apple pie but it's just too sweet for me. Your brandy has all the flavor I would ever want. Now it's on my list of spirits I want to make.
I'll pm you about a meet.
J. C.
JBC
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

So JellyBean and I are meeting again tomorrow. Looking forward to it, bringing some aged sweet feed, the ginger liquior, and maybe my tea infused neutral. That should keep him busy!
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

what about the apple brandy Big bob, don't be holding out on us , it's sounds like you're on to something there, share with the group :)
Don't be a dick
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hey Swedish pride: Big Bob thinks he's just a cook, not a chef. A chef can do all the fancy dishes but if there is no art to what he does there is no magic to what he creates! But just a cook with art can create amazing great things. Bobs apple brandy was delicious. He may tell you otherwise but I'm here to tell you different. And yes: because of the big guy I have a liter of apple brandy on oak now.
J.C.
JBC
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Had a meet with the JellyBean this morning. Have a sample of rice vodka and wheat whisky to try out. Will post results latter. Great time talking stilling.
Swedish Pride wrote:what about the apple brandy Big bob, don't be holding out on us , it's sounds like you're on to something there, share with the group :)
Swedish Pride, I've have been very selfish with my apple brandy, since I only have 1 bottle left! I will be making more. :thumbup:
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

haha, I meant the recipe, didn't mean to ask you to send samples to 30k members :)
Don't be a dick
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

JellybeanCorncob wrote:Hey Swedish pride: Big Bob thinks he's just a cook, not a chef. A chef can do all the fancy dishes but if there is no art to what he does there is no magic to what he creates! But just a cook with art can create amazing great things. Bobs apple brandy was delicious. He may tell you otherwise but I'm here to tell you different. And yes: because of the big guy I have a liter of apple brandy on oak now.
J.C.
Nothing wrong with being humble, nothing at all.
May have to give apple brandy a whirl
Don't be a dick
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

On a crazy rainy Tuesday morning Big Bob and solged threw heavy traffic to meet, exchange spirits and talk spirits. There are two reasons I like face to face. It's more casual than on line, and in most cases what is asked or answered isn't interpreted in the wrong way. Or whatever is said can be explained without animosity. I'm sure I would get along with most members here, mostly because of our common interest. And the other reason is Booze! I don't know how many times I've read a thread on T&T or recipe development that I would like to try but don't have the time to make. When I read Jimbos thread on ginger liquor I wanted to try it. That meant lots of work for something I might not like. But because of Bob I have some to try. He also gave me some tea infused neutral and some of his aged sweet feed. Lucky me.
I won't be able to try any till the weekend. Work really gets in the way of play. He He! :wink:
J.C.
JBC
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

JellybeanCorncob wrote:On a crazy rainy Tuesday morning Big Bob and solged threw heavy traffic to meet, exchange spirits and talk spirits. There are two reasons I like face to face. It's more casual than on line, and in most cases what is asked or answered isn't interpreted in the wrong way. Or whatever is said can be explained without animosity. I'm sure I would get along with most members here, mostly because of our common interest. And the other reason is Booze! I don't know how many times I've read a thread on T&T or recipe development that I would like to try but don't have the time to make. When I read Jimbos thread on ginger liquor I wanted to try it. That meant lots of work for something I might not like. But because of Bob I have some to try. He also gave me some tea infused neutral and some of his aged sweet feed. Lucky me.
I won't be able to try any till the weekend. Work really gets in the way of play. He He! :wink:
J.C.
This is a reason I always say to reach out to people near you, take a chance and you will be rewarded. I have a new friend that likes to do stilling also! JellybeanCorncob is more into the chemistry while I'm more into getting good spirits out of a small rig. We have had a great time comparing spirits(his are excellent by the way),and we are looking into making this into a monthly or semi monthly thing. I have met another stiller who is a friend of a friend who is also interested. Who knows where this will lead!

PS JellyBean, I haven't had a chance to try your samples yet, I've been fighting a cold and will get to them soon!

PPS Swedish Pride you can find the apple brandy thread that I did in "my first". It was stupid simple, and I will do it again!
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Enjoying some of JellybeanCorncob's wheat single malt! Very smooth with a nice malt taste. Thank you.
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Back at you Big Bob
Your sweet feed is rich and full bodied with a mellow finish that has a (Carmel?) Flavor.
Gonna have to make some sweet feed now.
Thank you for sharing Big Bob!
J.C.
JBC
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

I met with Redwood Hillbilly this morning for a few hours. I got to see his setup and he gave me lots of ideas for my thumper build. I did my Research like a good HD member on how to build one and I had a plan in hand. But he gave me ideas that I had not even contemplated. The basic design is similar but some of the specks were different,
(better) than what I had. I'm looking forward to the next time we meat. Thanks Redwood for a very pleasant and informative visit. I would be honored if you let me call you a friend.
JBC
Oh: Congratulations on the new grandchild "grandpa" :ebiggrin: :angel:
JBC
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

JellybeanCorncob wrote:I met with Redwood Hillbilly this morning for a few hours. I got to see his setup and he gave me lots of ideas for my thumper build. I did my Research like a good HD member on how to build one and I had a plan in hand. But he gave me ideas that I had not even contemplated. The basic design is similar but some of the specks were different,
(better) than what I had. I'm looking forward to the next time we meat. Thanks Redwood for a very pleasant and informative visit. I would be honored if you let me call you a friend.
JBC
Oh: Congratulations on the new grandchild "grandpa" :ebiggrin: :angel:
My pleasure, always nice to meet another criminal. BTW, I tried the espresso, excellent. You should be glad that the "Dude" doesn't know where you live, else Lebowski would be camped out in your back yard making white russians.

It helps to have another perspective on equipment, processes and product. After tasting again what I had considered as corn likker low wines (the 45% that was in the carboy), I think that I have another procedure and cut for a one and done through the thumper. I'll find out after the next run. I'll guess that I'll figure it all out after I do a few hundred more gals or so of corn mash. Thanks for the new perspective.

BTW, the ginger is excellent, gonna have to make some more corn "neutral" and try it myself.

Thanks, friend