friends ive made because of HD

This forum is for posting announcements for upcoming meetings or events.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Forum rules
Members need to be aware that as all meetings and events are beyond the control of the administration team here and as such homedistiller and it administration and moderators are not responsible for any action and or occurrence at any meeting or event. Members choose to participate at their own risk and responsibility
For security reasons do not post personal information including names exact addresses,phone numbers and detailed itineraries, this sort of information can be communicated via private message, emails or by phone call
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Re: friends ive made because of HD

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

rager wrote:
Hank Reardon wrote: Not sure who has funnier comments...Butch or ShineonCrazyDiamond.
both are extremely knowledgeable ( sp i know is wack)

id be more than happy to post up to them at a watering hole and spend a few/ many hours shootin the shit ( SONCD) i really need get meet up with you in the jersey area and get some of that fantastic cured meat you brought to randys,. unfucking believable good . can only get that kind stuff up here in the NE
Hey brother, you know anytime my home is yours. :wave:

I'm off this week. :ebiggrin:. If that's too short notice, I hear ya. You need somewhere for turkey day, you know I bring the southern fest to the north!

Hank, no worries. He's referring to the fact that here in the NE, we live in a very diverse culture. The smoked prosciutto and sharp aged provolone I brought to Randy's was flown in straight from Italy, and I went to Arthur Avenue in the Bronx to pick it up in the way. Very delicious, but not homemade.

I wish I could smoke meat, Hank. Someday when in have a 3 year supply saved up, and I can take on another hobby, I will venture. Until then, send us some meat! :thumbup:
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote: I wish I could smoke meat, Hank. Someday when in have a 3 year supply saved up, and I can take on another hobby, I will venture. Until then, send us some meat! :thumbup:

ive been eyeing an electric smoker for a while now. then i started doing a little reading. holy smokes does it get involved, then the added salted cured meat its becomes a whole thing. ive never made beer really before and a link you posted up a while ago about brewing beer and its as involved as this hobby. so one hobby at time for me......
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

rager wrote:
ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote: I wish I could smoke meat, Hank. Someday when in have a 3 year supply saved up, and I can take on another hobby, I will venture. Until then, send us some meat! :thumbup:

ive been eyeing an electric smoker for a while now. then i started doing a little reading. holy smokes does it get involved, then the added salted cured meat its becomes a whole thing. ive never made beer really before and a link you posted up a while ago about brewing beer and its as involved as this hobby. so one hobby at time for me......
Yeah, I started reading about smoking and it made my head spin as hard as when I was reading about reflux columns.

Decided to go pot still, and pick up beer.

The good thing is that if you do all grain whiskey, you already know most of it. Almost easier once you get to it. I took 6 months off of stillin to get all grain beer going. So glad I did. Now I can brew up a 9% or 10% ipa or stout from grain, AND be doing a stripping run. Drink beer while the whiskey is aging :thumbup:
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

I've jumped into the smoke! This is just like distilling......lots of reserch and great results! Check out the food recipes and branch out from there! :thumbup:
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Anybody that came to S3 16 find fault with the cured/smoked meats we served ?
You guys are overthinking the process because of all the "pundits" in the internet that complicate a simple process .
Get some Morton TenderQuik or Sugar Cure . Get it online direct from Morton . Less than 1 week delivery to your home for pennies on the dollar as opposed to local retailers .
Start with small pieces ; whole pork loin (Canadian bacon) , whole sirloin tip (dried beef for chipped beef gravy or dips). Just follow Morton's instructions for application and stick the treated meat in the fridge for the allotted cure time . You can smoke cured meat in something as simple as a plywood box . Big $ don't have to be spent to get good eats .
Beef and pork prices are dropping drasticly right now . My nephew , the BBQ cook , bought finished 300 # hogs yesterday for $0.20 to 0.28 per# on the hoof yesterday . A 700# cow sold for $50 .
I'll be glad to elaborate details on curing and smoking on the cheap for any interested . We have a thread running on that to go to rather than highjack this one .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

Truckinbutch wrote:Anybody that came to S3 16 find fault with the cured/smoked meats we served ?
You guys are overthinking the process because of all the "pundits" in the internet that complicate a simple process .
Get some Morton TenderQuik or Sugar Cure . Get it online direct from Morton . Less than 1 week delivery to your home for pennies on the dollar as opposed to local retailers .
Start with small pieces ; whole pork loin (Canadian bacon) , whole sirloin tip (dried beef for chipped beef gravy or dips). Just follow Morton's instructions for application and stick the treated meat in the fridge for the allotted cure time . You can smoke cured meat in something as simple as a plywood box . Big $ don't have to be spent to get good eats .
Beef and pork prices are dropping drasticly right now . My nephew , the BBQ cook , bought finished 300 # hogs yesterday for $0.20 to 0.28 per# on the hoof yesterday . A 700# cow sold for $50 .
I'll be glad to elaborate details on curing and smoking on the cheap for any interested . We have a thread running on that to go to rather than highjack this one .
im very interested butch! I cant beleive the prices of pork and beef in your area. not like that here for sure. dont be worried about the hi jacking. its a thread of friends just shootin the shit ( sometimes a thumper as well)

ive only started just looking into the curing salts and Randy pointed me in the direction of a nice affordable electric smoker that he actually uses. so be tween the two of you and fantasic smoked beans and your wife with the chipped beef and gravy i feel like smoking meats and stillin really go hand in hand. especially if it can be done in a simple way with great results .
FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FreeMountainHermit »

rager, curing/smoking for preservation and smoking for cooking/flavor as in a "smoked" pork butt are two different things. Could you be confusing the two ?
Blah, blah, blah,........
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

FreeMountainHermit wrote:rager, curing/smoking for preservation and smoking for cooking/flavor are two different things. Could you be confusing the two ?
Valid point . The beans we served here were for immediate consumption . The cured/smoked meat in them and the breakfast gravy were cured to be stand alone without refrigeration . We just slice , vacuum seal and store in the freezer for our own convenience .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

FreeMountainHermit wrote:rager, curing/smoking for preservation and smoking for cooking/flavor as in a "smoked" pork butt are two different things. Could you be confusing the two ?
i know the difference but not much beyond that. smoking meat i get , curing meat with salts i get but im far from knowing how to become good at either. im about to start diggin deep into both same way i did with stillin

not to bring the topic half way around the world off topic, but im giving it my best to make my first batch at kimchi (korean fermented veggies). another form of preservation as well.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Curing and smoking meats is a lot less complicated and labor intensive than stillin .
Gruberment done tole everybody they ought not to do neither for their own "safety". That's bullshit ! It's a control thing .
Highschool boys around here in FFA been curing and smoking their own home grown hog meat for years . Have competitions and rich folks come to the fairs to buy their prize hams and bacons . Might pay $3-4,000 for a ham and $1-2,000 for a bacon . No carpetbagger gonna pay that kind of money for spoilt meat .
You got an hour to weigh the cure and rub it into some whole pork loin and stick in the fridge in a container ? Time to just turn it over every 2-3 days for about 3 weeks ? All ya fot left is cold smokin it at your convenience . Plywood box , galvanized garbage can , I've even made a teepee out of boards wrapped in plastic . Start a smoke and walk away . You are not cooking it . Smoke is for additional flavor and preservation . You cook it when you are ready to eat it .
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

Truckinbutch wrote:. No carpetbagger gonna pay that kind of money for spoilt meat .
You got an hour to weigh the cure and rub it into some whole pork loin and stick in the fridge in a container ? Time to just turn it over every 2-3 days for about 3 weeks ? All ya fot left is cold smokin it at your convenience . Plywood box , galvanized garbage can , I've even made a teepee out of boards wrapped in plastic . Start a smoke and walk away . You are not cooking it . Smoke is for additional flavor and preservation . You cook it when you are ready to eat it .
yes!

ima learnin as we speak. food preservation ive never really learned or been taught by someone so im starting from the begining , but thats find with me. blank slate, just have to start puttin together the peices of the puzzle.

i honestly feel its a fantastic skill know ( same as stillin and growing your own food) . and im eager to learn. never know shit could hit the fan any day. im an optomistic but its good to prepared.

imagine if the internet got shut down and this freely availble info wasnt at our fingure tips? we would be back to libraries and the teaching of our elders. my parents who are great people and raised me right wouldnt know about the first thing about gathering and hunting and surviving . i learn alot from you folks here from all walks of life
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

I'm here to help . Type or call if you get stuck .
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

Truckinbutch wrote:I'm here to help . Type or call if you get stuck .

will do for sure. i should start another thread to document my progress in the food thread. this is going to be fun , i already know it :crazy:
FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FreeMountainHermit »

Here ya go rager. EEEZY PEAZZY !!! The kits are really fun and a great way to get started.

https://www.himtnjerky.com/Buckboard-Bacon-Cure.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
https://www.himtnjerky.com/instructions/Instr_Bacon.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

FMH.
Blah, blah, blah,........
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

rager wrote:
Truckinbutch wrote:I'm here to help . Type or call if you get stuck .

will do for sure. i should start another thread to document my progress in the food thread. this is going to be fun , i already know it :crazy:
There's already a thread that we can pick back up on . I am confident in Morton products . We've used them for 60 years that I am sure of here on the farm . There are pricier products on the market with fancier advertising . I don't buy them .