Proof 2017

This forum is for posting announcements for upcoming meetings or events.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Forum rules
Members need to be aware that as all meetings and events are beyond the control of the administration team here and as such homedistiller and it administration and moderators are not responsible for any action and or occurrence at any meeting or event. Members choose to participate at their own risk and responsibility
For security reasons do not post personal information including names exact addresses,phone numbers and detailed itineraries, this sort of information can be communicated via private message, emails or by phone call
Bushman
Admin

Proof 2017

Post by Bushman »

Time to start thinking about this years Proof group meeting. Below is a link to this years Proof meeting that will be held July 8, 2017:
Proof 2017

In the past Bearriver has hosted the BBQ the day after but he hasn't been on the forum for a while. Oldvinzin had mentioned that maybe at his warehouse we could host it. I live 1.5 hours away and have a great setting for it but think it is probably too far to travel for most. Now is the time we should start organizing it to make it as successful as in the past.
Bushman
Admin

Re: Proof 2017

Post by Bushman »

Tickets go on sale this spring but I thought maybe they would sell us a block of tickets at a discount so this morning I emailed the question about a group rate. If I can get a discount on tickets I will coordinate the purchase but I will need to know from members how many would commit and if possible would you want the regular admission or the VIP?
Euphoria
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Euphoria »

I'd prefer the VIP tickets (2) if it pans out.
"Government doesn't have the answer to the problem, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

You can put me in for 1 vip.
Thanks for trying to put this together Bushman :thumbup:

OVZ
Snackson
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Snackson »

How much are tickets usually? My brothers are up in Silverdale for the rest of this year so I might have to make a trip up.
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Snackson wrote:How much are tickets usually? My brothers are up in Silverdale for the rest of this year so I might have to make a trip up.
From what I can find last year GA was $50 and VIP was $70.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Here is the response I got back from the executives:
Hi! Thanks for reaching out regarding PROOF. We don’t have a group rate for the event, however we offer an early ticket price once tickets go on sale (mid-May) through June 25.

Have a great weekend!
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I don't know if I will make it :( I work weekends and June, July and most of Aug are locked up solid for time off. So getting a weekend for proof will be difficult but I will see what I can do. One thing I will say is as soon as tickets go on sale buy the VIP ones, they are totally worth it. As it approaches do research on the distilleries and make a list of the ones you want to try and which of their products you would like to try. The one I went to a couple years ago as soon as you walked in the door they gave us a VIP bag with tasting glass and more importantly a map of the event. Check that map, find the ones on your list and go to them before the crowd gets there, it gets very crowded once they open the door to general admission and a lot of people camp out at booths with the intention of trying as many things as they can just to get drunk and it gets very difficult to get to them. Make notes about what you taste because it is very difficult to remember what was what when it is over.
Hank Reardon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hank Reardon »

Im in for a VIP ticket at a group rate.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Hank Reardon wrote:Im in for a VIP ticket at a group rate.
Unfortunately they do not offer a group rate. I checked into it and posted their response above. Seems like a pretty expensive venue especially since they give venders a great exposure and I am sure the venders pay a lot for their booth.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Hey folks. Would you all mind if I came up and joined you for this? Would love to meet some of you.

I just attended a small distillers tasting at Edgfield yesterday. Was a beautiful setting and it was a blast. They only sold 120 tics in advance, so not crowded. Got plenty of time to talk to each distiller. Some weird stuff, but informative.
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

No problem, I haven't heard from any of the others. I am not sure of my schedule as I may have a conflict.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Today is the last day to get discounted tickets for Proof 2017, 70$ vip is the way to go.

See you all there

OVZ
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Thanks OVZ. Just bought mine today to save some $$$. See you there.
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Sorry to say I will not make it this year, been crazy busy and it just wasn't in the cards.
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Thinking about putting on a low key get together BBQ for the day after Proof, unless bear river surfaces and invites us over to his place.

OVZ
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Sorry, I thought the BBQ had already been planned out.

Somebody has to have the annual BBQ, that's the best part, even if some of us can't make it.

Sorry to hear you can't make it this year Bigbob but I know how things can happen.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Proof 2017 is in 4 days, if we were having a bbq it would be 5. I haven't heard any interest except from 1 member for an after proof get together, I'm willing to host one if there is more interest. Going out of town rock climbing for a few days, will check in to see if anyone wants to get together after proof.

hope to see some of you at proof
OVZ
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

I survived another week of rafting and am ready for Proof tomorrow. :-).

I plan to be at the Outlander Brewery and Pub, one block from Proof, tomorrow at 2:30 pm until doors open at Proof at 4:30. Anyone interested in meeting up with HD folks before Proof is welcome to join me there. I have my list of distilleries/products printed and will be doing final researching/planning on who I plan to talk to and taste. I'll wear my Beavers baseball hat so you will know who I am (white and black, with an orange OS on the front). Hope to see some of you there.

Will stay around Sunday for a BBQ if there is one.

Otis
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Have to cancel, my mother in law fell and broke 5 ribs puncturing her lung. Currently in the hospital. She is 91 years old.
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Bushman wrote:Have to cancel, my mother in law fell and broke 5 ribs puncturing her lung. Currently in the hospital. She is 91 years old.
Oh Sorry Bushman! Hope she recovers quickly.

Anyone else going to OVZ's for BBQ?
It should be fun, I'll bring some aged Panela rum and maybe some fish for the BBQ.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

Copperhead road
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Copperhead road »

Wish we had this type or thing in Australia :oops:
Never mistake kindness for weakness....
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

not sure about the big BBQ but there might be some good drop to share

OVZ
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Bushman wrote:Have to cancel, my mother in law fell and broke 5 ribs puncturing her lung. Currently in the hospital. She is 91 years old.
Sorry bout the news Bushman. Hope she recovers quickly.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

There will be a small tasting party at the warehouse tomorrow 1 ish if you want to come but don't know where it is please pm me

OVZ
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Proof 2017 was a fun event. The VIP pass was the way to go, as the extra hour gave me enough time to try all I wanted. I found the distillers very patient as things got busy, and they answered a lot of questions fired at them even with the line of people waiting for a tasting. The food was good, and you could pretty much try as much as you wanted, because most did not bother asking for a ticket. :-).

I met OldVineZin at Proof. It was an honor getting to know someone face to face from HD who has helped me out so much as I learn this craft. He even let me park and sleep overnight in his business parking lot near the event. Thanks OVZ.

So like my recent experince at the Edgfield distillery tasting, there were a few standouts along with some out right crap being served. I'll not share some epic fails from the event cauz my parents taught me not to talk poorly of folk, but here are my favorites:

2 bar spirits had the best Bourbon, hands down.
Oola Distilleries also made a descent Bourbon.
Black Heron Spirits made a nice Whiskey.
RUM. I wish I could remember the one good rum I had, because all the others were pure crap. Imho.
Sons of Vancouver make a really delicious Ameretto. :-)
Elixir Inc make some interesting and unique sweet liquors. I liked their IRIS flavored liquor.
Thomas & Sons Distillery make some delicious tea and other spice based liquors. Their primary business is Combucca (sp?) with alcohol being the byproduct.
I am on the fence with Heritage Distilling's brown sugar flavored Bourbon. They had a 30% sweet I did not try. Their 50% used less sweetener and was not offensive to me. I want to like it, but it may have still been a bit too sweet. The 50% was not made by Heratige. They said a customer bought a barrel of 30%, proofed it up with neutrals, and they bought it back for the show.

I can't remember the few others I liked. I did not try any gins, vodkas, aquavits, etc. too much to try so I mainly focused on Whiskey and Rum. Hope you all can make it next year. :-)
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

OtisT wrote: I met OldVineZin at Proof. It was an honor getting to know someone face to face from HD who has helped me out so much as I learn this craft. He even let me park and sleep overnight in his business parking lot near the event. Thanks OVZ.
He is a credit to our hobby, for sure!

Oola is great, I've been to their distillery and bought once used barrels from them.
You can expect to try a couple more half decent rums later today!
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

I had a really great time today with Otis and OVZ, we tasted a lot, told stories, and tasted some more.
Great meeting you Otis and as always OVZ you are a great host, thank you for the peppers and all the really good and interesting things you brought for us to try.
Much fun!
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

It was all good - I hope that we get more people next year, I know that there are a lot of us in the PNW but so many missing this year.

OVZ
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I feel bad that I couldn't make it :( It seems like kind of an off year for everybody, Hopefully next year more people will be able to show up, myself included, I have a barrel of apple brandy that should be something very special by that time, and maybe I can get my hands on a couple hundred pounds of early apples and give a demonstration of the apple chopper :D