Getting Steamed Up

Steam powered cooking and distillation devices.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bohunk
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Getting Steamed Up

Post by Bohunk »

I’ve read everything here several times, but I seem to be missing the piece I’m looking for. My idea is to cook my grain with steam, let it cool, then pitch the yeast, and cover the pot. With a blow off hose in a bucket of water. When the yeast has finished, fire up the steam generator, and move the blow off hose to a condenser, and run it off. The idea is to cook, ferment, and distill all in one pot. Making bourbon is great, but separating the liquid from the grain is a bitch to say the least. Is it possible to do what I want ??

Thanks for any and all help
The Ole Bohunk
zach
Swill Maker

Re: Getting Steamed Up

Post by zach »

Yes it is possible. The best photo I've seen of a MFT (mash ferment thumper) is in this thread

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 0#p7498720

Redwood uses the electric element to boil water only prior to adding the corn. (No steam is used to cook the corn) After mashing and fermenting, the clear beer is drained into a boiler and a steam pipe is inserted into the mash / slop remaining.
Bohunk
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Bohunk »

Thanks for the reply Zach. I can't imagine more guys not using steam to distill, I've been straining grain and wash for so long got to be a better way. Brutal, and Michigan are you guys just cooking with steam ?? If so, how do you handle the grain left in the cooker ??

Thanks for the help
The Ole Bohunk
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Here's a steam rig I made awhile back, It's used to mash, ferment and distill
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 83&t=59138
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

The trick is having a large enough fermenter made from acceptable material(s) to be able to use it as a boiler also, pretty much stainless or copper.

I ferment in 55 gal trash can and only use my setup for steam stripping. I have 2 kegs, so it takes me 3 runs, clear ferment in boiler and slop in the thumper, to strip a full 50 gallons.
The beauty is no scorching. Only possible drawback to your all in one idea is that you will be stripping with all the yeast and trub in the fermenter/boiler and that might affect the character of the final spirit, for better or worse.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Bohunk
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Bohunk »

Thanks guys, this it the area I want to explore. Shady, I see you and I joined in the same year, hope your not as old as I am. :lol:
Michigan, my idea was to strip the low wines out, and then run them through my pot still, do you think the yeast/trub would carry though that far ?? I make some ass kicking bourbon, but for years have fought how to strain out the grain. I've tried fruit presses, they don't get the grain dry enough, the best way I've found was to put the grain in a bag, and hand squeeze it. Lord knows that's a pain, but the grain is completely dry when I'm done with it. I need all the help I can get !!!

Thanks guys
The Ole Bohunk
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

While I mash in a separate tun, I often just pump everything over to the steam jacketed still and distill the whole works. Need a good agitator because it does not heat evenly if it is not thoroughly stirred while distilling. Strip and spirit I do t think the fla our is adversely effected.
Learned this from deep south...I used to try separating the grain but he convinced me to try this way, it's much less work. After distilling I just let the slops cool and pump them out and take them out to the compost. Maybe check out his build In craft distillers there is lots of good info there.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by JellybeanCorncob »

zach wrote:Yes it is possible. The best photo I've seen of a MFT (mash ferment thumper) is in this thread

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 0#p7498720

Redwood uses the electric element to boil water only prior to adding the corn. (No steam is used to cook the corn) After mashing and fermenting, the clear beer is drained into a boiler and a steam pipe is inserted into the mash / slop remaining.
+1 I’ve seen Redwood’s setup. In fact used part of his design to setup my rig.
Good luck to you. :)
JBC
JBC
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

JellybeanCorncob wrote:
zach wrote:Yes it is possible. The best photo I've seen of a MFT (mash ferment thumper) is in this thread

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 0#p7498720" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

+1 I’ve seen Redwood’s setup. In fact used part of his design to setup my rig.
Good luck to you. :)
JBC
Thanks JBC.
When I get a chance, I plan on documenting my system along with the work flow. With my current hardware (2 55 gal MFTs, a 30 gal stripping boiler and a 15 gal spirit boiler), it is possible to fill a 15 gal barrel with 2 weekends of hard work.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

Bohunk you ever seen this thread from gaflatwoods ? http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 83&t=58545

long time no see.
be water my friend
zach
Swill Maker

Post by zach »

RedwoodHillBilly wrote:With my current hardware (2 55 gal MFTs, a 30 gal stripping boiler and a 15 gal spirit boiler), it is possible to fill a 15 gal barrel with 2 weekends of hard work.
Wow with that kind of production it might be a little easier to get some aged product.

I purchased a 14 gallon ss fermenter last September with the intention of using it as MFT. I've only gone as far as mashing /fermenting and it's been so easy.

I'm already looking at a 28 gallon fusti tank for a MFT on amazon.
Bohunk
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Bohunk »

Boy this is the response I was hoping for. I am wondering about the solids in the bottom, if they will be packed to hard for the steam to go through. Thinking about buying a 30 gallon ss barrel, and using it as boil pot, fermenter, still. Anything has to be easier than squeezing that slop out by hand. I filled a 15 gallon barrel with bourbon, and it was a nightmare. One thing I did notice, how many friends I had, when that barrel got aged about right.

Thanks again guys
The Ole Bohunk