Yaks steam cook rig.

Steam powered cooking and distillation devices.

Moderator: Site Moderator

yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Yaks steam cook rig.

Post by yakattack »

So this is long overdue. I've promised a few times to get this up here and have put it off for one reason or another. So here ya go. Detailed process of my steam cooks. Making ag available for anyone with a pot still and some extra copper.

The pictures are warped due to resizing. I'll figure out how to fix it on the computer later. All I have atm is my.phone.
20160201_090923.jpg
This attachment connects to my condenser via a union.
Half inch copper. 1/8 inch holes around the base top and bottom of the steam head.
20160201_090947.jpg
I fill boiler with about 10 gallons of 140f water.

Attach steam head to condenser (while in the barrel)

Add grains and hot water. This will bring water and grain to 110f
Only need to bring up the mash to 190.
20160201_091356.jpg
20160201_091608.jpg
To be continued...
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Yaks steam cook rig.

Post by yakattack »

At this point while the boiler is bringing the water to a boil I have added my high temp enzymes. These denature above 190f so I will have to be careful not to heat to quickly or it will denature the enzimes to early.

I have a ball valve on the bypass pipe (top of steam wand,offset away from the barrel ) this is open until it starts to generate steam. At which point I close it and give the mash a good agitation to ensure that there are no clogs. I've never had one clog yet and there are lots of little 1/8 holes in the head so there should be no pressure build up.

This will sound like a thumper coming online as the steam will be collapsing in the barrel causing a thumping or small explosion type sound. This is normal.

Steam should be coming shortly.

To be continued...
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

10 28 am reached steam generation. Closed valve and agitated. Now for the waiting game.stir every few minute,note to self. Need an mash paddle system for continual stiring.
Brutal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Brutal »

Hell yea buddy! You're having a better Monday than me!

Those pics remind me of the old kung fu movies I used to watch as a kid. I bet this is how Bruce Lee made likker lol.
Steam injection rig http://tinyurl.com/kxmz8hy
All grain corn mash with steam injection and enzymes http://tinyurl.com/mp6zdt5
Inner tube condenser http://tinyurl.com/zkp3ps6
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

Haha yah. I'll update pics later today.

I'd rather be working. Been laid off for a bit. But hay. I'm cooking so all good.

Yak
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Its a good day...when you can fire up the kettle or boiler.

Cheers.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

still_stirrin wrote:Its a good day...when you can fire up the kettle or boiler.

Cheers.
ss
Can I get an AMEN?!?!?
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

Amen brother!

Mash is sitting at 154f climbing slowly. I'm not pushing this full throttle as I want a nice even cook as its a 1/3 corn bill.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Awesome! Love it!

B
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

3pm yesterday cook was finished. Allowed to rest till 9 when I could get back to it. Was at 185. Wort chiller is apparently broken so I figured I'd let it drop on its own over night.

This morning there was a nice dark layer of cleared mash on top. Already pretty sweet. That's just from the hight temp enzimes which is step one for breaking the starch.

After mixing temp was 135. To low as far as I know for conversion with malt but because I am using liquid Enzime they won't care. It will just take a little while longer to fully convert.

Added in the honey malt and enzymes and gave it a good stir and covered and insulated again. This afternoon I will check temp and conversion and pitch yeast. After separating barrels. This is going to be a very active ferment.

Yak