Modular Thumper / Steamer Build

Any steam Cooking /Distilling Device

Moderator: Site Moderator

Re: Modular Thumper / Steamer Build

Postby rad14701 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:53 pm

Hillbilly Popstar wrote:Well I want to build a still that would do this. I have an 8 gallon milk can boiler now, I'd like to use it as the thumper and get the 26 gallon milk can for the boiler. I think that would be a good ratio.
But they don't give those 26 gallon milk cans away...

Maybe I should start a new thread about this and try and word the process a bit better.

You meant to say 25 gallons... :ewink:
rad14701
Master Distiller

Postby Hillbilly Popstar » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:57 pm

Well I surely wouldn't overfill it.

So make that 20 gallons and we're square right?
"insert something profound and meaningful here"
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby rad14701 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:07 pm

Hillbilly Popstar wrote:Well I surely wouldn't overfill it.

So make that 20 gallons and we're square right?

Just making sure you're adhering to Rule #10... :ewink: So it's a 25 gallon boiler unless you're a legal distillery... :eugeek:
rad14701
Master Distiller

Postby Hillbilly Popstar » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:33 pm

10-4
"insert something profound and meaningful here"
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby ShineRunner » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:22 pm

Where did you get your corks? What size are they?

I got some size 30 from widgetco but they're a touch small and sit in too far for me to be comfortable with them. They're also layered, which I thought was a no-no for glue? I had a hard time getting them to seal on the cleaning run.

I ordered size 32 from home derpot and the picture showed solid but it's conglomerate cork. Pretty sure that's a no go. Guess I'll order size 32 from widget?

Thanks

SR
HD Google search: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=50259
ShineRunner
Swill Maker

Postby MichiganCornhusker » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:04 pm

I don't remember where I got the corks.
I know I just found them online, maybe searching "natural cork"?

They are solid, real cork, no laminating or composites. They work great as they swell a bit when hit with hot vapor.

I've noticed a little wear and tear on them do I might be wanting to get another pair soon. If I can find out where I got these I'll let you know.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
MichiganCornhusker
Site Mod

Postby ShineRunner » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:45 pm

Thanks. I found these: https://www.onlinesciencemall.com/produ ... nches-each

They mention that they're pressed and no glue. I emailed widgetco to see if theirs are the same. Problem with the widgetco ones is that there are some gaps in the cork right at the level that I need them to seal. I think if they were a little bigger, I'd have more room to push them in, if necessary, and still have room to grab onto them and pull them easily.

I'll also update when I hear back..

I'm excited to run this thing and glad you came up with a modular design!

SR
ShineRunner
Swill Maker

Postby MichiganCornhusker » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:53 pm

These look just like the ones I have:

http://www.corkstore.com/Products/Bark-Top-Stoppers
image.jpeg
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
MichiganCornhusker
Site Mod

Postby shadylane » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:01 pm

Just a thought
Where there's only water vapor, and no alcohol vapor on the material
Most food grade material, that can take boiling water, probably would be acceptable for seals.
shadylane
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby ShineRunner » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:38 pm

Shady, the corks will be exposed to alcohol vapor as it plugs both the boiler and thumper pipes. The cork is also present on all regular still runs as well.

I got a response form widgetco about their layered corks. "The process uses a food grade polyurethane…it should withstand heat above steam temps" obviously, food grade or not, not sure I want polyurethane in my drink. One of the layers of my cork has already delaminated and fallen off. I've only done vinegar and sacrificial runs to this point. I didn't see any signs of glue on the piece that peeled off, but it must be there..

I reached out to the link I provided- onlinesciencemall. They repeated their description that there is no glue, and that the cork is held together by the pressure of being formed together. I ordered some and will check them out. We'll see. I'll let you all know what it looks like when I get them.

SR
ShineRunner
Swill Maker

Postby rad14701 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:51 am

ShineRunner wrote:Shady, the corks will be exposed to alcohol vapor as it plugs both the boiler and thumper pipes. The cork is also present on all regular still runs as well.

I got a response form widgetco about their layered corks. "The process uses a food grade polyurethane…it should withstand heat above steam temps" obviously, food grade or not, not sure I want polyurethane in my drink. One of the layers of my cork has already delaminated and fallen off. I've only done vinegar and sacrificial runs to this point. I didn't see any signs of glue on the piece that peeled off, but it must be there..

I reached out to the link I provided- onlinesciencemall. They repeated their description that there is no glue, and that the cork is held together by the pressure of being formed together. I ordered some and will check them out. We'll see. I'll let you all know what it looks like when I get them.

SR

"Food Grade" does not equate to "alcohol safe", especially high proof alcohol... Only solid cork will withstand high proof alcohol liquid or vapor, heated or otherwise... Any cork made from compressed granules will have the same problem in that they will fail in short order...
rad14701
Master Distiller

Previous

Return to Steam Mashing and Distilling