New to the steam club :)

Steam powered cooking and distillation devices.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Mudturtle
Bootlegger

New to the steam club :)

Post by Mudturtle »

Finished my rig today doing test/cleaning run. I would post a pic but my smart phone is stupid. Copied brutals design
Bushman
Admin

Re: New to the steam club :)

Post by Bushman »

Post when you get a chance, I am currently making a steam set-up on a small scale to make essential oils. Having fun as it has been a few years since I have done any new design projects.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Welcome to the steam club, be careful and safe. :wave:
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

Welcome......come right in! You're going to like it here....
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
Mudturtle
Bootlegger

Post by Mudturtle »

Yea u learn mighty fast not to prop your arm on that pipe when u take a break from stirring
Fart Vader
Swill Maker

Post by Fart Vader »

Mudturtle wrote:Yea u learn mighty fast not to prop your arm on that pipe when u take a break from stirring
Or sometimes not so fast. I burned myself twice :oops:

With steam, you'll never look back.
My double walled boiler build: The Mashimizer. viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64980
Kegg_jam
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kegg_jam »

Them pipes is hot!
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

I bought a pair of these babies on amazon for less than $10
Ye olde Ove Glove or the generic equivalent
Ye olde Ove Glove or the generic equivalent
The work great for hot pipes and kegs...

Word of safety.... they do NOT protect well from steam.... first hand knowledge (pun intended...)
HD Glossary - Open this
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
Hank Reardon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hank Reardon »

rgreen2002 wrote:I bought a pair of these babies on amazon for less than $10
Ove glove.jpg

Word of safety.... they do NOT protect well from steam.... first hand knowledge (pun intended...)
+1. They are great for the heat, but hold water like a screen. :)

Enjoy the steam rig. It is a great option for mashing in my opinion.
Hank Reardon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hank Reardon »

As shady has said, there should be a steam safety sticky.
Last edited by Hank Reardon on Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

rgreen2002 wrote:I bought a pair of these babies on amazon for less than $10
Ove glove.jpg

Yep. But word of caution. Hot pipes, yes. Glowing pipes, like the temp for soldering, no. They will stop the heat, but it might be possible for that blue rubber to melt. Ok, not might. It will. Ask me how I know. :oops:
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

There would be very few things worse than a steam saturated Ove' Glove...!!! Trust me, you can't get a hot glove off your hand fast enough, and with steam your skin tries to come off with the glove... It just insulates the heat in against your skin and keeps on cooking...
Hank Reardon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hank Reardon »

rad14701 wrote:There would be very few things worse than a steam saturated Ove' Glove...!!! Trust me, you can't get a hot glove off your hand fast enough, and with steam your skin tries to come off with the glove... It just insulates the heat in against your skin and keeps on cooking...
Edit: They call it degloving when you go to the burn center for those interested. Your skin will peel off with the flesh attached. Hard to imagine, but Rad has it nailed.

Rad, I agree with you. And, I get the idea that a steam saturated oven glove is a bad idea. Having worked around high pressure steam for most of my life, and having to deal with (in m opinion) large boilers (1000+ HP), and the like, I wear a simple styled oven mitt when I am breaking down my steam injector, as well as the other hot things I may need to touch from time to time. Your point illustrates Shady's broader point that a sticky is a good idea, and proper PPE is essential when one is exposed to an environment where pressure can build and be released unexpectedly. It also further illustrates that the notion that steam is just not very dangerous...because it is. And, the higher the pressure, the worse the outcome in an accident.

Anyway, any type of cloth that abosorbs liquid will amplify a problem whether it is chemical related or heat related. Folks need to understand that point. Thanks for making it.
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

rgreen2002 wrote:
I guess I should have been more clear here but rad, SCD and Hank have eloquently illustrated the point. The gloves are great for when I am breaking down the rig when it is still hot (after I open the system to release the minimal pressure build up), or when I have to touch the hot pipe WITHOUT risk of steam exposure. The steam will penetrate this glove and get to your skin rapidly and yes.... if it is saturated with scalding hot water, it will continue to burn. Please DO NOT wear these gloves and expect to handle direct hot steam as you WILL learn what a burn center looks like firsthand (all puns intended for effect).

I agree with all that has been stated above as well as the need for a steam sticky on safety. Steam is showing up here more and more and a general set of guidelines could be very beneficial and possibly life/limb saving.
HD Glossary - Open this
Brutal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Brutal »

I wear a pair of 35$ Hobart welding gloves. They are thick insulted leather and have nice long wrist/forearm protection. The only "hot" experience I ever had with them was several years ago in one of my first runs. I was heating a keg with gas outside. I went to break everything down a little too fast and grabbed the bottom ring of the keg to pick it up and pour it out. That bottom ring was not 200-205f... I carefully (but very quickly!) set everything down and grabbed the glove off. I had a charged water hose there, and the bottom ring of the keg touched it as I set it down and it burned a hole in it. Water starts spraying all over my work area. I wasn't even mad. I just put my hand in the water stream to cool it off. I was ok, and my water hose became a few feet shorter that day.

Be careful y'all. And always have a plan.
Steam injection rig http://tinyurl.com/kxmz8hy
All grain corn mash with steam injection and enzymes http://tinyurl.com/mp6zdt5
Inner tube condenser http://tinyurl.com/zkp3ps6
Mudturtle
Bootlegger

Post by Mudturtle »

Guess it's not complete yet. It goes thru gas like crazy, guess I'll take it to a fella in town and get a hole cut for heater element, order a switch and run some line for another 220. Hell of a hobby lol
WIski
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WIski »

Here's what a steam leak on a ATV radiator hose did. Complete with the defleshing these other folks have been speaking of. The skin stayed on the sock when I pulled it off. Hurt like hell........ This happened in a matter of seconds. It was over before I knew it started. Steam aint no joke.............
Ankle   Burn.jpg
Kegg_jam
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kegg_jam »

Hot water tanks explode on occasion and they supposedly have safeguards to prevent that.

It's serious business.

still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Dang KJ, that garage is tidy compared to mine. :shock:

Seriously tho, steam is powerful. It contains so much energy...enough to push a train down the tracks. If you under estimate the potential, it can destroy you is the fraction of a second.

Always "Handle with Care".
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K