Department of Redundancy Department

Steam powered cooking and distillation devices.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Hank Reardon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Department of Redundancy Department

Post by Hank Reardon »

A newer person than me can watch the progression with each of the members that starts down the steam journey:

1. wow, steam is something I can do?
2. Cool. I'm going to Mash.
3. Shit. Mash is a mess.
4. Hmm, steam in the mess might just eliminate the mess and keep the livestock slightly happier.

I'm no different, hence the title.

A 2 boiler setup for steaming AG on the grain, and into a 3 plate column in order to only do it once is my approach. How I'm doing it is using my original boiler, and a craigslist bonus find to link two together through a 4x4x2 TEE, and the 2" tee section will have a nipple through a tri clamp plate (soldered) that will connect to the injector on its way over from boiler 1. The TEE will also serve as the outbound path for ethanol vapor.

The entire thing will be an open system, much like a thumper, although in this case, the "thumper" will be doing all the work. The idea is to heat the mash through the grain mixture and carry over even more taste than Odin's thread inidicates is possible in a tower setup.

1st run of this particular thing is in 4 days. I will keep you posted.
Hank Reardon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Department of Redundancy Department

Post by Hank Reardon »

Hank Reardon wrote:A newer person than me can watch the progression with each of the members that starts down the steam journey:

3. Shit. Mash is a mess.
4. Hmm, steam in the mess might just eliminate the mess and keep the livestock slightly happier.

A 2 boiler setup for steaming AG on the grain, and into a 3 plate column in order to only do it once is my approach. How I'm doing it is using my original boiler, and a craigslist bonus find to link two together through a 4x4x2 TEE, and the 2" tee section will have a nipple through a tri clamp plate (soldered) that will connect to the injector on its way over from boiler 1. The TEE will also serve as the outbound path for ethanol vapor.

The entire thing will be an open system, much like a thumper, although in this case, the "thumper" will be doing all the work. The idea is to heat the mash through the grain mixture and carry over even more taste than Odin's thread inidicates is possible in a tower setup.

Run is delayed another week. Mr. parts supplier who i use for work for sanitary fittings was unable to get me a key ingredient. I will post some pictures as I'm running some vinegar through. :)
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

Hank Reardon wrote:A newer person than me can watch the progression with each of the members that starts down the steam journey:

3. Shit. Mash is a mess.

I have no idea what you're saying.... but I do love me some steam! :mrgreen:
PS: Is quoting yourself part of the redundant redundancy?
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
Hank Reardon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hank Reardon »

rgreen2002 wrote:[
I have no idea what you're saying.... but I do love me some steam! :mrgreen:
PS: Is quoting yourself part of the redundant redundancy?
It must be. :)

No, the redundant theme is that it seems like people continue to evolve to using steam to distill once they discover mashing with steam. I was just admitting that my personal evolution is on the same path, and that my path has taken me more time than many.

If you look at Moonshiner's setup, or MCH's setup, you will see what I'm doing. Only difference for me is that the steam fired boiler (with the grain in it) will have some number of bubble plates on top of it. Hoping to get it run this weekend.
Hank Reardon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hank Reardon »

Some overdue photos:

Rig Overall: Have a couple more connections to make....Steam sourced from the right side boiler, through and into/through the steam injector heating the goop, and pulling all that grain with it.

Can't wait to run it.
Last edited by Hank Reardon on Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hank Reardon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hank Reardon »

The steam connection to the 2nd boiler. It is a 3/4" SS nipple tig'd to a 2" tri clamp plate.
Hank Reardon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hank Reardon »

Steam injector for on grain activity. Yes, 1/2" lopsided...for those who are from NYC. :)
Hank Reardon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hank Reardon »

Inside the boiler. Note the tee is the inlet for steam, and output for EtOH to the bubble plate.
Last edited by Hank Reardon on Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hank Reardon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hank Reardon »

The idea is that beer will be on one side providing a heat source for the 2nd side with all the goop in it. Definitely not a yield play, but moreso a full taste play. Also of note, this system will still double as a mash rig.

Let me know your thoughts.
Brutal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Brutal »

Hank, BRUTAL LIKES IT! But seriously.. brutal likes it.

Remember when running a reflux on the thumper the thumper will fill the longer you go. Account for that and you're GOLDEN!
Steam injection rig http://tinyurl.com/kxmz8hy
All grain corn mash with steam injection and enzymes http://tinyurl.com/mp6zdt5
Inner tube condenser http://tinyurl.com/zkp3ps6