Discussions of fruits, veggies and grains other then just mashing

Moderator: Site Moderator

Fredistiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Lets get carried away with fruity goodness

Post by Fredistiller »

Thanks for the repies!
NZChris wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:42 pm Can you treat them like grapes, tread and ferment on the pulp?
Have you got a thumper so that you don't need to press?
Press to extract the juice of my elderberries + grapes as good as I can without a press. And see how it goes. If the result seems okay I'll mix the 2 pomaces and ferment like you would for a "grappa" in a second fermentation bucket? Is this what you mean?
Yes I have a thumper, but I don't see the link with the need of pressing. Besides to avoid scorching obviously. I run a double boiler so I don't have scorching issues.

NZChris wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:42 pm I sometimes do a sugar wash using all of the leftovers from a fruit ferment and it's distillations, fermenting the lees, backset and pressings with sugar and water to no more than the original volume and Brix, then stripping with the feints from the spirit run added.
Do you use all the amount of backset? Do you use warm backset and pitch again or do you a 2nd generation?
Good idea to use the feints. Do you use all the feints or rather the heads or tails part?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Fredistiller wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:48 am
NZChris wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:42 pm I sometimes do a sugar wash using all of the leftovers from a fruit ferment and it's distillations, fermenting the lees, backset and pressings with sugar and water to no more than the original volume and Brix, then stripping with the feints from the spirit run added.
Do you use all the amount of backset? Do you use warm backset and pitch again or do you a 2nd generation?
Good idea to use the feints. Do you use all the feints or rather the heads or tails part?
All means all.
I don't kill my yeast with hot backset.
Aerate well.
I do sometimes use the foreshots, no general rule, just smell and decide on the day.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

stillanoob wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:49 am Cranky, great write up. I think that should be somewhere more easily found than buried in this lengthy thread.
OK I posted it in the wine and beer section
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=80162
That should make it easy to find
stillanoob wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:49 amIt was good to read it and see that I didn't wind up too far off the mark. I rinsed my fruit in iodophor water then pitted and mashed it. Then I poured boiling water over it. Then I checked the gravity and added sugar water to bring it up to a projected 12%ABV. I have been punching it down once daily.
I'm sure once a day is fine.
stillanoob wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:49 amI see now with your full write up what you meant by "topping off". You mentioned it in regards to my regular wine as well as your desert wine. So with my "regular" wine you would add sugar water when racking monthly?
It's important to keep air space to a minimum. I lose probably 1/4 to 1/2 a gallon every time I rack and often top off with extra wine or sugar water or just plain water depending on my mood. I like my wine sweet so if I don't make more than 5 gallons the sugar water is often the best choice for me.
stillanoob wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:49 amThanks for taking the time to keep up with this thread. Your efforts are appreciated.
Your welcome, this thread is one of the places I go to just talk about my fruit addiction :D
Last edited by cranky on Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Bushman wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:06 am I will be back out to the island in a week or two and will load up on more plums. My wife made a spice plum jam out of what I picked last week.
We need to get around to making our annual jelly and jams, Mrs. Cranky has already eaten most of the plums I picked the other day, they never made it very far :roll:
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

cranky wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:20 pm We need to get around to making our annual jelly and jams, Mrs. Cranky has already eaten most of the plums I picked the other day, they never made it very far :roll:
We have done peach and raspberry jam so far this year. Need to get pacheco (Mexican gooseberry) and huckleberry done yet. I am going to be running some apple brandy on Friday, I have 5 gallons of 10% ABV (fortified with honey) and 10 gallons of 5-6% that I made last year for drinking. With the virus deal we haven't had all of our usual BBQ's and parties so we have some left over. I still have 10 gallons or so in kegs to tide me over until this year's is ready.

This thread is aptly titled. I love getting carried away with fruity goodness. :crazy:

Speaking of fruity goodness, I want to make some raspberry liqueur. I have any amount of frozen raspberries. I can get maybe a 1/4 pound of fresh ones every few days. Would it be better to use frozen or to add fresh ones every few days until I get enough? I hate to admit it but I am going to (shudder) buy some 100 proof vodka to use and add 1.5 pounds or so to the bottle. What say the fruit masters here?
Fredistiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fredistiller »

NZChris wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:11 pm
Fredistiller wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:48 am
All means all.
I don't kill my yeast with hot backset.
Aerate well.
I do sometimes use the foreshots, no general rule, just smell and decide on the day.
Thank for the advices!
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

stillanoob wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:36 pm Speaking of fruity goodness, I want to make some raspberry liqueur. I have any amount of frozen raspberries. I can get maybe a 1/4 pound of fresh ones every few days. Would it be better to use frozen or to add fresh ones every few days until I get enough? I hate to admit it but I am going to (shudder) buy some 100 proof vodka to use and add 1.5 pounds or so to the bottle. What say the fruit masters here?
I think frozen works better.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I have taken a Mason jar half filled with likker to the berry patch and picked straight into it, used frozen berries and used partially dehydrated berries. They all worked.

I've also made gin and essences with berries in the pot and the basket. Raspberry gin made with a quick steep to color half of the neutral for adding back later, then putting the berries in the basket for the gin run with twice the usual amount of botanicals, is more likely to get drunk than the liqueurs now that my parents have gone.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

After my wife's little hospital stay a few years ago we have both cut back greatly on sugar and I seldom make liqueurs any more. Occasionally I will make a quick one with neutral, cherry juice and sugar but only on occasion. I did really like the one I made from fruit based neutral, frozen blackberries and sugar panty dropper style.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I had to give my son a ride to a medical appointment today. When I dropped him off after the appointment I took a look at his fruit trees. Most of the pears had already fallen :( but I managed to get 7 huge pears. Then I turned my attention to the plum tree which produced well this year
PLUMS 04 SEP 20 #2A - C.jpg
PLUMS 04 SEP 20 #4A - C.jpg
I only had some crappy safeway plastic grocery bags with me and one paper back but I probably got about a bucket full of very ripe plums.

After the plums I checked the apple tree and picked a few apples, which are huge and in desperate need of picking.
PLUMS 04 SEP 20 #5A - C.jpg
I am going to try to find the time this weekend to bring them a clothes washer and dryer and hopefully bring some buckets for the remainder of the plums and the apples.

When I got home I checked the sugar level of the plums and it is 24brix, which is much higher than I expected, I don't think they got over 18 last year.
Bph
Novice

Post by Bph »

Anyone ever messed with Kousa Dogwood fruit? I got 3 buckets full today. I usually make sorbet out of them but now that I am into this stilling thing... I figure ill need some sugar just cause I plan to blend the whole fruit up with a little water in the Vita prep and ferment on the skin. But just enough to make it worth while. Maybe 3# or so. But I might just use grape juice concentrate for sugar. I dont know yet. If you have never had the pleasure they taste a lot like mangos but diffrent. Kinda like a paw paw with more acid. Anywho. If you got tips help me out! it was a lot of work to pick 15 gallons cause they are the size of a large cherry. On a side note I picked up a bottle of clavados to try today. I wanted to see where the bar was for all these apples ive been messing with. Pretty good but I belive I can do better. Can certainly taste what I now have come to know as "heads" but its a smooth drink and very apple forward. I hope I can get that apple flavor, but I know I wont have all them heads in my jars.
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

In my limited experience the best apple is mixed in with the heads. Hard to get one without the other. The trick is where do you draw the line and that I am still working on. Try the grape juice and see what you get. I have a ton of pecheco (or Mexican gooseberry) that I am thinking of trying something with.

In my fruit goodness update I ran some apple brandy last Friday. The first carboy I had was 5 gallons of store bought juice mixed with honey to bring the ABV up to 10%. My buddy had bought the juice because we needed the glass jugs and thought he might as well buy them full of juice. I don't know what happened but it was awful. I hoped running it might salvage it but nope, tasted like shit as a low wine so we cut off the run and out it went. Then we ran 10 gallons of ~ 5% that i made last year for drinking. Delicious, almost wished I kept it for drinking. Distilled up nice but we didn't get that much out of it so we threw a gallon of tails we had from our previous run this year into the spirit run. Tasted pretty good off the spout, it is on oak now and we'll see.
Bph
Novice

Post by Bph »

Hmmm. Didnt think about the possibility that the flavor was in the heads. Figured it was just a money grab for them. I know the low wines I have from my apples so far this year is slap full of heads. Took a sip of it last night out of curiosity and it was rough as a cats tongue. I put the dog wood fruits in the freezer till.i fugure out my plan. Plus I know another spot where they grow that I'm gonna check on today if the rain holds. I figure a nursery around here must have got a good deal on them 10 years ago cause they are in a lot of the more industrial landscapes that went up during the growth of my little home town. That and apples😎. Its fun to have an exotic fruit avalible but apples are my first choice. It amazes me how many people stop to ask if what I'm picking is eddible. I mean the dog wood fruit I understand but apples? People dont know you can eat apples that didn't come from a store? Now if I could only find me a paw paw patch.... Happy hunting you fruity bastards😊

Edit: my goal this week is to figure out how to get pics on here. Im and analouge man in a digital world but id love to share cause I know I love to see other peoples pics.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I've never even seen Kousa Dogwood fruit but it sounds interesting to give a go. I like finding fruit that nobody knows about. Sounds like you have a situation like I have with strawberry tree fruit, someone planted those as decorative shrubs all over the place here so they are everywhere and I really want to distill them and see what I get.
Bph wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:26 am Didnt think about the possibility that the flavor was in the heads. Figured it was just a money grab for them.
Yes the majority of apple flavor is in the heads, which means you have to be loose with your cuts, but also the worst apples make the best brandy. So the apples can make a difference. Store bought and irrigated apples tend to have less flavor than free range or home grown apples or stressed trees. So do smaller apples.
Bph wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:26 am It amazes me how many people stop to ask if what I'm picking is eddible. I mean the dog wood fruit I understand but apples? People dont know you can eat apples that didn't come from a store?
It's funny how people have been taught that food that doesn't come from a store isn't safe. I was in an alley picking apples one day and a couple walked by and started asking my about them and what they tasted like. I told them and picked up the two biggest and best looking apples in my bucket and handed them to them to try and they said "Oh they'er just like store bought apples only small" :wtf: They were actually the size of apples I had grown up with but now apples in my local stores are gigantic. Although someone has now started marketing an apple that is very small as "Little apple big flavor"
Last edited by cranky on Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

cranky wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:24 am It's funny how people have been taught that food that doesn't come from a store isn't safe.
Reminds me of a time many years ago when I lived in a city. A country buddy of mine brought some home grown hamburger and folks were reluctant to eat it! We are talking hand raised, hand butchered and processed meat all done by my buddy. They were scared of it because it wasn't made from snouts and assholes and didn't come from some filthy factory on a Styrofoam tray, Crazy.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

My son's girlfriend likes Honeycrisp apples, I personally don't but that is another story. So as a result she spends $2-3 a pound for them at the store and I pick the giant apples off the tree in their back yard which are much better than Honeycrisps.
PLUMS 04 SEP 20 #5A - C.jpg
I tested them and they were 14 or 16 brix and have been planning on picking them all when I went back to bring them a washer & dryer but wound up not going so hopefully they are still on the tree when I go over there Friday. Last week I didn't pick them all because I ran out of things to put fruit in with the plums.

This morning we made some dessert pastries out of the pears I picked last week and 2 of the apples so we could see how well they would work for apple pie and they are perfect so now I regret not picking every single one and really hope they haven't all dropped because there would be enough to make and can a years worth of apple pie filling if the tree still has them.
PASTRIES 2A - C.jpg
We made 3 pear and 2 apple pastries but this picture was taken after we ate one to see if the apples were what we were looking for.
Bph
Novice

Post by Bph »

Damn those look tasty! My wife is mad cause I have processed a few hundred pounds of apples and 10 gallons of peaches but all ive made was one pie. She dont understand my need to feed the still. She sees all the low wines building up and cant see what I will ever do with all this booze. Told her that may be the only thing I leave the kids when I die. A still and 200 galloms of hand made likker. Going to head down to lake Charles in GA this weekend put out some jugs for catfish. Just so happen to know an island with wild persimmon that I'll check out. I'm usually there in summer so ive never picked any. Hopefully they are just right for me this time of year. Hard to beat persimmon Jam on a cheese board. Maybe that will make her happy. My birthday is this month. I just ordered myself 3 Arkansas black apple trees😎 if she ask they were 10$ a piece. Dont tell her I dropped 300 on the orchard ready size... I think I am getting a bit of an addiction.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

They didn't last long but are very easy to make so can make another batch any time we want.

I've been wanting a persimmon tree or two...or 4, someone offed to send me seeds a few years ago but never came through. I don't have any room for them anyway. I'd really like to make some persimmon brandy.
Bph wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:16 pm My wife is mad cause I have processed a few hundred pounds of apples and 10 gallons of peaches but all ive made was one pie. She dont understand my need to feed the still. She sees all the low wines building up and cant see what I will ever do with all this booze. Told her that may be the only thing I leave the kids when I die. A still and 200 galloms of hand made likker.
My wife doesn't understand either.
Bph
Novice

Post by Bph »

So I got another 30# of apples. I'm thinking I will buy a gallon or two of cider from a local oarcard I like to take the kids to and use that to blend up the apples I got in the vita prep then ferment on the skin with my champagne yeast. Then I'm gonna add the 3 gallons of low wines ive got to that once its done and do a 1.5 run nice and slow so I can get something to age for next year! I put my clavados in a mason jar and I'm pretending its next year already lol. Little sip here. Little sip there.
Bph
Novice

Post by Bph »

Well they were not ripe. Got a few fruits off each tree but 99% were still hard. Cranky if you want some seeds id be more than happy to mail you 10 or so. I got just enough fruits to eat and have 40 or so seeds. you gave me the bright idea to just grow them out. They truly are special. Nothing like the ones you get in stores. Its like a fig fucked a sugar pumpkin... One of my favorite things to find. I'd love to get enough to try a brandy.

On a side note I'm doing my homework on choke cherries. I have found a lot in the past but never found any use for them in the kitchen. But in the shed....
Grappa-Gringo
Swill Maker

Post by Grappa-Gringo »

Getting back to the Kousa Dogwood fruit... the city planted 2 of these trees on the boulevard outside my house about 20 years ago... I knew they were edible via an old lady who walked by everyday with her dog...with age come knowledge lol... I always thought they had a "blah" taste and weren't worth eating, none the less distilling... I should take a closer look at doing something with these berries... besides sweeping them into the gutter. Keep the results coming.
They say, "you are what you eat"... Then I'm fast, easy and cheap!
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Grappa-Gringo wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:37 am Getting back to the Kousa Dogwood fruit... the city planted 2 of these trees on the boulevard outside my house about 20 years ago... I knew they were edible via an old lady who walked by everyday with her dog...with age come knowledge lol... I always thought they had a "blah" taste and weren't worth eating, none the less distilling... I should take a closer look at doing something with these berries... besides sweeping them into the gutter. Keep the results coming.
I assume you are the same Grappa-Gringo I remember and haven't seen in a while. Welcome back :wave:

I personally think that whenever possible every fruit that would otherwise go to waste should be made into alcohol :D I should start keeping an eye on the strawberry trees and see if I can get around to that this year.
Grappa-Gringo
Swill Maker

Post by Grappa-Gringo »

Hello there Cranky and all the other old timers...
Yup...It's me.... been a long time...work and kids got in the way. I'm almost retired so I'm getting back to having fun!
I'm glad to be back-- need more time to read!!
thanks for the welcome return!
GG
They say, "you are what you eat"... Then I'm fast, easy and cheap!
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

When I pushed the cap down on my current plum ferment I tasted it and it tastes pretty good :D A bit sweeter than it should be this long into a ferment but it seems to be doing fine. I found another half gallon of blueberry juice and might go ahead and add that. I should be moving it out of the bucket and into a carboy but have been extremely lazy lately but it needs done soon or I will lose the ferment so I guess I should get myself motivated.
Fredistiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fredistiller »

Today on my way home after some holidays I'll visit a distillery in the Calvados, THE region of apple brandy in Europe. I thought that maybe there are specific question you always wanted to ask to a producer of Calvados. I have a lot of questions for them so I can ask for you also... if there are any.
(I'll be there within 6 hours.)
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Fredistiller wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:36 pm Today on my way home after some holidays I'll visit a distillery in the Calvados, THE region of apple brandy in Europe. I thought that maybe there are specific question you always wanted to ask to a producer of Calvados. I have a lot of questions for them so I can ask for you also... if there are any.
(I'll be there within 6 hours.)
Right now I can't think of anything specific but I'm interested in hearing the answers they have to your questions.
Bph
Novice

Post by Bph »

Mmm. Lucky. I recently bought my first bottle and the more I drank of it the more I liked it. The apple flavor they get is unreal. The smell of it is my favorite part. I would hold the cork under my nose whike I sipped it cause the aroma was amazing. Im too green to have any good questions but I'd love to hear about your trip and any info you discover and share would be greatly appreciated.
Farside
Bootlegger

Post by Farside »

My ancestors come from the calvados region of Normandy. My grandmother always used to say the worst apples and the smallest apples made the best calva.

That's basically all I collect. Not particularly juicy a lot if the time but tons of flavor.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

This evening I took Mrs. Cranky out for $300 hamburgers. While we were waiting for our burgers she noticed this on one of the taps at the bar
ON TAP 2 - C.jpg
We were surprised to see perry on tap so decided to give it a try and ordered a glass to share.
I have to say I didn't expect it to taste quite like it did. My perry tastes like the pears it is made from, so pretty much that's what I expected this to taste like but what it tasted like was...well it basically tasted like fruit loops :think: it had a very fake mixed fruit flavor that was nothing like pears and an odd sweetness that just wasn't right, kind of like fruit loops. In fact I think if you made beer out of fruit loops it would taste very similar. Mrs. Cranky said if we were out with people having beer she would be willing to drink it because she doesn't like beer, I don't really care for beer either but not sure I would drink this again, especially if a decent cider were available.

Edit: Looking through the internet I found where someone listed the ingredients as "Fermented Apple Juice, carbonated water, apple concentrate (as a natural sweetener), natural flavors, malic acid, sulfite (perservative)." and no pear juice at all.

So it would seem that fake fruit flavor is coming from "natural flavors" which we all know is advertising speak for Beaver Ass extract which is something I prefer not to be in my food or drinks :?
Last edited by cranky on Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

Must have been a Pappy VanWinkle burger!