Use for spent grain

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bushman
Admin

Use for spent grain

Post by Bushman »

I was just reading a thread that was moving from the original topic and speaking of spent grain. This got me to thinking about another thread a while back of uses for fores and the number of ways to reuse it. On that topic we came up with many uses from camping fuel to windshield wiper cleaner. Thus I thought it would be nice to share ideas of how to re-use or dispose of spent grain.

The obvious is to feed them to animals, I did a Google search and some are using the grain to make bread, pizza, French toast, etc. What my hope is not only to list how you use spent grain but also if you have any recipes that you will share them as well.
Bushman
Admin

Re: Use for spent grain

Post by Bushman »

Here are several articles on some of the industrial re-use.
http://www.alcademics.com/2010/06/fun-w ... waste.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

https://www.craftbeer.com/craft-beer-mu ... pent-grain" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Going through the ADI forum I found this comment. If you are feeding spent grain to animals you might want to consider the following.
When feeding spent grains to cattle, you have to tell whoever you give them to they need to watch out for bloat. Make sure you're giving that spent grain to someone who knows about proper diets and protein intake for their livestock (bovines predominately, I think swine are better in dealing with higher protein diets). Dealing with bloat in livestock is an ass-ache, you don't want to be an accident cause.
This was a follow-up response:
Are you sure SPENT grains can cause bloat?

I guess it won't hurt mentioning it to farmer just to cover yourself, but I think distillers spent grain is far less likely than fresh grain to cause bloat because it is already partly "digested", and is also wet.

I feed my spent grain to my sheep and cattle so if you can point me to some literature on the subject I would appreciare it.
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

Compost it. Monitor the pH. You might need to add some lime.
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
Deerhunter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deerhunter »

skow69 wrote:Compost it. Monitor the pH. You might need to add some lime.
:thumbup:
Sky Diving without a parachute is a once in a life time experience!
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

I dump mine and it dissapears.. The Yotes got some the once day and they were not feeling so good LMAO after about 15lbs between 2 lol Never thought a yote would eat grain.....

B
Aussiedownunder01
Bootlegger

Post by Aussiedownunder01 »

The chooks love mine
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I used the walnuts from my walnut brandy and made cookies which turned out great.