Discussions of fruits, veggies and grains other then just mashing

Moderator: Site Moderator

skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: SRD and I

Post by skow69 »

>>OFF TOPIC<<

I know that SRD is spirit run dave but, for some reason, whenever I see this thread it hits my brain as Some Random Distiller and I. I don't know why, but it cracks me up.

Feel free to ignore me and continue.
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

skow69 wrote:>>OFF TOPIC<<

I know that SRD is spirit run dave but, for some reason, whenever I see this thread it hits my brain as Some Random Distiller and I. I don't know why, but it cracks me up.

Feel free to ignore me and continue.
:lol: Why would we ignore you ? You got a right to talk too . He met the group at S3 16 and was posting as StripRunDave because he had just started stilling .
When he posted about his first spirit run I suggested that he be rechristened and it magicaly happened .
In the cold light of day aren't we all Some Random Distiller ?
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

Truckinbutch wrote:Coalminer is almost finished with his build and is working brutal hours when he has to work .
He has found is a source of ground , locally grown , corn meal for $11 /100# .
Now that's good value, 5.50$ per #50 and no need to grind it, that man deserves a sip of your finest.
Don't be a dick
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

having trouble working out where coalminer fits in read back musta missed it
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Truckinbutch wrote: I got to still harder to get ahead .
+1
I recently tried something I made 2 years ago and was amazed!
It wasn't very remarkable at 1 year, or even 18 months, but then something sure happened.
If I hadn't built up a stock that bottle never would have seen 2 years. (It won't see 3)
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
japsinok
Bootlegger

Post by japsinok »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:
+1
It wasn't very remarkable at 1 year, or even 18 months, but then something sure happened.
If I hadn't built up a stock that bottle never would have seen 2 years. (It won't see 3)
Do you mean bottled 2 years, or aging on oak two years? I'm still new enough to believe what I read, that the character of distilled spirits doesn't change much after bottling. But two years for a small volume on oak seems like a strong chance at over-oaking. My 5 gal barrels of UJSSM have finished in 4~5 months at most when it seems they were beginning to get too "oaky". I will be happy to learn that the character can change (for the better) after bottling, if that's what you meant, but also that 2 years on oak may not be to much.

But this also brings up other questions. Like, can you get past "overoaking" so that there is a window of too muck oakiness for the new spirit, where it gets better up to that point, but then once you are past that window it begins to get even better while still in contact with wood. Sorry this seems like stream of consciousness writing, but I have several used 5 and 2.5 gal barrels that are not much good for extracting the vanillins that I so love, but might make for good long-term storage to oxidize the spirit without making it too woody.
Just another pot stiller
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

+1
Yup and the same thing happens at 4 years over the 2 year stuff. Even when its 2 years on oak and 2 years sitting quietly on the shelf in a jar.

Stillin harder is one way, altho damned exhausting. An easier way to achieve the same thing (stash) is to double or quadruple the batch size. Fermenting 70 lbs of grain on 30 gal water in a 55 gal barrel was the epiphany moment for me. The slightly higher than 2lbs/gal ration gets me closer to 10% than 8% but when fermented low and slow with a good clean yeast I cannot tell the difference. This batch <-- gives 2 13 gal runs. 2 batches like this will fill a 5 gal barrel at 62% after cuts, with a conservative 65% yield on the cuts. 2 50 lbs sacks of corn meal and 1 50 lb sack of wheat malt. :) With enough wheat malt left over to make a hefeweizen. Life is good.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

japsinok wrote:
+1
Do you mean bottled 2 years, or aging on oak two years? I'm still new enough to believe what I read, that the character of distilled spirits doesn't change much after bottling. But two years for a small volume on oak seems like a strong chance at over-oaking. My 5 gal barrels of UJSSM have finished in 4~5 months at most when it seems they were beginning to get too "oaky". I will be happy to learn that the character can change (for the better) after bottling, if that's what you meant, but also that 2 years on oak may not be to much.

But this also brings up other questions. Like, can you get past "overoaking" so that there is a window of too muck oakiness for the new spirit, where it gets better up to that point, but then once you are past that window it begins to get even better while still in contact with wood. Sorry this seems like stream of consciousness writing, but I have several used 5 and 2.5 gal barrels that are not much good for extracting the vanillins that I so love, but might make for good long-term storage to oxidize the spirit without making it too woody.
1 year seems to be about the limit for a new 5 gal barrel. Else you risk making oak tea. Check it at 8 months. I went 14 months once and its nice, but I like oak. And its still way less oaky than a 20 year pappy. 2 years on a once used barrel is nice. And yes these things keep aging in the jar for the first few years. Aging in this sense being more about harmonizing of the molecules, esterification.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
japsinok
Bootlegger

Post by japsinok »

Jimbo wrote:
japsinok wrote:
+1

1 year seems to be about the limit for a new 5 gal barrel. Else you risk making oak tea. Check it at 8 months. I went 14 months once and its nice, but I like oak. And its still way less oaky than a 20 year pappy. 2 years on a once used barrel is nice. And yes these things keep aging in the jar for the first few years. Aging in this sense being more about harmonizing of the molecules, esterification.
It's good to hear the character can change in the bottle. To date, nothing I have bottled has made it past a year so I'll have to hold back a secret stash in reserve to compare (though the only comparison is to memories of what it was like after a year or less, so it's not exactly a scientific comparison). This discussion does bring to mind that I have noticed the condensation that others have mentioned in other threads inside newly filled bottles so it stands to reason that volatiles are still emerging from the new spirit, with no way to escape, so on second thought, not so surprising that changes continue in the bottle.

Haven't ever had 20 year old Pappy. My wallet (and wife) would not tolerate that, even if it were available. Actually, I haven't bought ANY bourbon in ages and my shelf is full of partial bottles that no longer see the mouth of a glass since I truly like what I make better than most everything I have purchased.
Just another pot stiller
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

thecroweater wrote:having trouble working out where coalminer fits in read back musta missed it
SRD and I are staying in direct contact with him as he does his build . He is giving quid pro quo .
He has access to a plasma cutter , told us of a legal source for kegs at $31 @ , and $11/100 cornmeal .
Good fella and handy to know .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

$11/100 cornmeal?? :shock: Put me down for 5 bags :D Thats a helluva deal. Im payin $15/50 at the restaurant supply store. Which I guess is still damn cheap considering a couple sacks and 1 bag of wheat malt will fill a 5g barrel :)

Cheers
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Jimbo wrote:$11/100 cornmeal?? :shock: Put me down for 5 bags :D Thats a helluva deal. Im payin $15/50 at the restaurant supply store. Which I guess is still damn cheap considering a couple sacks and 1 bag of wheat malt will fill a 5g barrel :)

Cheers
Ummm ..... You gonna pick that up ? Shipping is going to be a bitch .
SRD and I have been paying over $9/50 whole or cracked . This is going to be a hellofa deal for us even if we have to mill it one more time .
DSM Loki
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DSM Loki »

Did you say legal kegs for $31? Looks like I may have to send some money your way and pick a few up when I visit.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

DSM Loki wrote:Did you say legal kegs for $31? Looks like I may have to send some money your way and pick a few up when I visit.
Be glad to accommodate you . Let me check what is available . Keep your money in your pocket until then .
BayouShine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BayouShine »

S3:17 may turn into a big meet, greet and group buy!
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Just a thought here . You only know a craft as well as you can explain it to a novice so he/she can understand it as well .
In my case it is the brave leading the blind ; or vice versa .
This thread seems to be well received and I'm happy to continue it as we learn as we go .
It isn't just our province .It is for all of us . Feel free to chime in with questions or advice .
Coalminer entered into the fray at an opportune time to add a third dimension to our learning curve . Causes us to rethink what we have learned on account of we got to 'splain it to him .
Lord hope that we get it right .
I don't think he will be long in going AG .
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

BayouShine wrote:S3:17 may turn into a big meet, greet and group buy!

Tater mentioned to me yesterday (and he was absolutely right) that we can't turn this thread into a swapmeet . I brought up some of these $ saving deals we have run into as incentive for the rest of you to look further .
Correspondence on this subject should be confined to PM's , Classifieds , and phone calls ammongst members .
Not incorporated in this thread .
BayouShine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BayouShine »

Yea, that was a bit more tongue in cheek than anything, considering those are some pretty sweet deals.

Back on topic though, have yall been able to make a little more progress this week?
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

BayouShine wrote:Yea, that was a bit more tongue in cheek than anything, considering those are some pretty sweet deals.

Back on topic though, have yall been able to make a little more progress this week?

Not this week . I'm putting SOH on an airplane in a few hours and then I got a whole week to do nothing but still :clap:
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

SRD and Coalminer came over this afternoon . We gave Coalminer the hands on short course on pot stillin and mashing AG .
I needed to do a sac run cleaning up a mod to my riser and lynn arm . Was a good tutorial to familiarize Coalminer with what to expect with a pot and thumper .
Although we collected no drinkable spirits he could still touch , smell , and listen to the still . Showed him how to do leak checks with a mirror , too .
He left with a couple of gallons of cleaning fluid to do his sac run with when he gets his rig finished this week or next .
He also left knowing a lot more of what to expect and what to look out for .
I think he will do 3 or 4 sugarheads and then switch to AG .
I'll let him comment on that .
Little Hank
Novice

Post by Little Hank »

That's awesome that you guys get to help each other out. I wish I had a stiller close to me. I've stated my still design but haven't got to a point to order any parts. I appreciate the info I get on here, thanks.

LH
LH

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers viewtopic.php?f=15&t=52975
Hd Google Search Is your friend
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

Little Hank wrote:That's awesome that you guys get to help each other out. I wish I had a stiller close to me. I've stated my still design but haven't got to a point to order any parts. I appreciate the info I get on here, thanks.

LH

i felt the same way when i just got started wishing i had a stilling buddy. only thing i had was some friends i would let try my product to see if i was headed in the right direction. all the info is here , just gotta find it and retain it and apply it to the end product.

after 4 years here ive been lucky enough to attend a hand full of gatherings and met some awesome people along the way . stick to it .

back on topic, tb youve had the house to yourself for a week now, since there is no update on the spirit run im assuming its still in the works...

looking forward to updates.

on a side note, the angels got their share this week when i lost a qt of 120p single malt red wheat that had been sitting on oak for 6 months destined for s317 :| :cry: :silent:

gotta buck up and get rocking again.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

No worries. I'm laying down a bourbon this weekend for S317. You're in good company.

Though that red wheat single malt did sound fucking delicious :( . Sorry homie.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
BayouShine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BayouShine »

rager wrote:on a side note, the angels got their share this week when i lost a qt of 120p single malt red wheat that had been sitting on oak for 6 months destined for s317 :| :cry: :silent:

gotta buck up and get rocking again.
I have a red wheat that's going to be 18mo. old in September. It's on the list to make the trip.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Back's not doing so good this week , Rager .
Cooked another batch of ag corn yesterday . Left it set about 7:30 last night at 150 degrees and got back to it today at 3 pm . 94 degrees . Perfect . Og of 1.07 .
Arieated it again as I transferred it to the ferment barrel and pitched yeast .
SRD came over this evening and we racked and started mop bucket squeezing a finished ferment . I'll run that strip Sunday and gear up for another spirit run .
We also studied up on loading copper tube with water to do some wort chiller bends .
Pilfering in one of my 'might need it' stashes I came up with a few hundred feet of various sized soft copper coils . We got a lot of margin for error .
We're still brainstorming a better way to strain an AG mash . Got a couple of ideas that haven't born fruit yet .
SOH is due back Saturday night . Gotta drive them PA goat paths to get her . Sure wish I was going to Jed's instead .
:idea: : Mebbie I could convince her to cab over to Jed's and I could kill 2 birds with one stone ?
Prolly NOT on account of her probably having to drive home from Jed's on account of me being intoxicated . It was a nice thought anyhow .
SRD is now fermenting off grain and I am planning to start sourmashing on the next round and incorporating some rolled oats in the low temp mash bill .
That's about all that's happening on Mt.Idy and I hope all of you are well .
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

[quote="Truckinbutch"
SOH is due back Saturday night . Gotta drive them PA goat paths to get her . Sure wish I was going to Jed's instead .
:idea: : Mebbie I could convince her to cab over to Jed's and I could kill 2 birds with one stone ?
Prolly NOT on account of her probably having to drive home from Jed's on account of me being intoxicated . It was a nice thought anyhow .
SRD is now fermenting off grain and I am planning to start sourmashing on the next round and incorporating some rolled oats in the low temp mash bill .
That's about all that's happening on Mt.Idy and I hope all of you are well .[/quote]

You and the speaker are always welcome here. If ya aint safe to drive we can always rulste up sleepin arrangements. Course i may have ta drag ya to work with me the next day
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

jedneck wrote:

. Course i may have ta drag ya to work with me the next day[/quote]

wouldnt have to drag me in, id sign up for a days worth of work to learn a thing or two
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:

duuuuuude you have no idea!!! probably one of my best bottles. i came to peace with it pretty quick. i can always make more. .... there is a very, very small chance that i actually filled two qts of that malted red wheat from the same run, and one jar might be sitting up in a closet..... for now im going to keep the hope alive and ill find out some day
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

Sieve work for some folks

So I'm tole
Last edited by goose eye on Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

rager wrote:
ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:

duuuuuude you have no idea!!! probably one of my best bottles. i came to peace with it pretty quick. i can always make more. .... there is a very, very small chance that i actually filled two qts of that malted red wheat from the same run, and one jar might be sitting up in a closet..... for now im going to keep the hope alive and ill find out some day
There is always hope . SOH pointed out to me before she left that I got a half gallon of sweetfeed on top of one of her cabinets that will be nearly 4 years old by S3 17 . Don't know how we missed that last year .