SRD and I

Discussions of fruits, veggies and grains other then just mashing

Moderator: Site Moderator

goose eye
Master of Distillation

Re: SRD and I

Post by goose eye »

Now all you need to do now is string some wire bout knee high
and if at all possible if you is flushed that the way to skidaddel.
It'll slow em down just enough to get gone.

So I'm tole
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

TB SRD,

been following your adventure. man 1.08 is a fantastic conversion! a few more striping runs and youll be able for a really nice spirit run

have you snuck a sample from the middle of the striping runs for a small taste?

once youve complete a spirit run are you going to move on to malted barley or other malted grains for conversion? nothing wrong with using the liquid enzymes with malted grains. its what i do, especially with corn

my favorite is 60% corn, 20% malted barley and 20% malted wheat. YUM

keep up the good work. hope i get to taste it

cheers
spirit run dave
Novice

Post by spirit run dave »

Completed my first ag mash today.started with 23 gallon water 50# corn ground fine. All my test were good except my ph was a little high before adding my low temp enzymes.pitched some acid in there waited about 15 min retested around 4.8 - 5 I was happy. Did my smell,taste,feel test.yep sweet corn OG came out to b 1.07. I was ok with that so I pitch the yeast Everything just fell into place and ran smooth.love it when a plan comes together. seems like I got a good conversion.Thanks to everyone here
All things can be worked on...but you can't fix stupid!
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

rager , we be eatin the apple one bite at a time . Get good at one thing before we step up to another level .
SRD , that sounds great for both conversion and quantity . I think we are getting there .
Srd got a second burner and I am going to , too . That way I can mash without tearing down my still . If I can find a 30 gallon BOP to replace my 15 gallon I'll be able to cook 1 fermenter charge in 5 or so hours instead of double that .
Stick with us . You want the easiest way to get a job done , you put the laziest man you got in charge . THAT BE ME !
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

You want the easiest way to get a job done , you put the laziest man you got in charge
I feel inspired!
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

bilgriss wrote:
You want the easiest way to get a job done , you put the laziest man you got in charge
I feel inspired!
I feel a laze-off coming on, if i could only be arsed to partake I think I could have it won
Don't be a dick
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

Truckinbutch wrote:rager , we be eatin the apple one bite at a time . Get good at one thing before we step up to another level .
SRD , that sounds great for both conversion and quantity . I think we are getting there .
Srd got a second burner and I am going to , too . That way I can mash without tearing down my still . If I can find a 30 gallon BOP to replace my 15 gallon I'll be able to cook 1 fermenter charge in 5 or so hours instead of double that .
Stick with us . You want the easiest way to get a job done , you put the laziest man you got in charge . THAT BE ME !
Well ,TB , get you a sheet of stainless and cut out a bottom and roll yourself a cylinder and make you a big ol pot for mashin in. If you was close I would do it for you but I think you are a far piece from Ca.
Blarney Stoned
Swill Maker

Post by Blarney Stoned »

Quick Google search found 30 gallon/120 quart BOP's @ around $110 bux/ up.

Not too awful bad.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Blarney Stoned wrote:Quick Google search found 30 gallon/120 quart BOP's @ around $110 bux/ up.

Not too awful bad.
Be better if I score one for free . I'm long on patience . I got one BOP that holds 132 gallon that I've had for over 45 years . It's just too big for this project .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

corene1 wrote:
Truckinbutch wrote:rager , we be eatin the apple one bite at a time . Get good at one thing before we step up to another level .
Well ,TB , get you a sheet of stainless and cut out a bottom and roll yourself a cylinder and make you a big ol pot for mashin in. If you was close I would do it for you but I think you are a far piece from Ca.
Have faith , gal . If my poor uncle gets out of the rich house we might come visitin .
In the mean time ; I got this commercial table top (ss) that might be repurposed into a BOP . Shop rates around here are what's killer .
Dont discount that visit wish . Deep gas is coming alive since the election . Soon as they turn a pound of dirt on my place SOH and I can afford to come visit .
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Truckinbutch wrote:
Blarney Stoned wrote:Quick Google search found 30 gallon/120 quart BOP's @ around $110 bux/ up.

Not too awful bad.
Be better if I score one for free . I'm long on patience . I got one BOP that holds 132 gallon that I've had for over 45 years . It's just too big for this project .
I should have phrased my reply to you better . I'm not looking for a handout . Around here folks get things 'free where they work' . They may not need that particular item so it becomes trading material for what they do desire that someone else got 'free where they work'. Lot of that sort of barter happens in my area .
bronctoad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bronctoad »

I found on "bid on equipment" a 30 gal tank for 100 bucks....... but shippin to my place $457.00 uhhh. they can keep their pot. still lookin for the free or closer too option myself.
p.s. corene1 it is located in ca might be worth a look?
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

bronctoad wrote:I found on "bid on equipment" a 30 gal tank for 100 bucks....... but shippin to my place $457.00 uhhh. they can keep their pot. still lookin for the free or closer too option myself.
p.s. corene1 it is located in ca might be worth a look?
Pal , like I told her . This gas money eagle shits our way , we goin travlin .
I can think of no finer honor than to have some of her metal work gracing my shop .
In the meantime I'll just keep pedaling my little bike .
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

I will keep my eye open for a pot for you. We get all the stainless scrap from the local Frito Lays factory in Buttonwillow and there can be some pretty good finds occasionally. I am guessing a 20 inch pot about 24 inches tall , this would be 32 gallons, a little bigger wouldn't be a problem , I am guessing. We do this about once every six months so patience is a virtue. I would love to find a 55 gall stainless steel drum but am still looking . I have found a 15 and a 20 gallon one though.
Medstiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Medstiller »

You may want to look for a old liquid CO2 dewer. I got a small one from a scrap yard, It came out of a McDonalds. They go out of date and have to be scrapped. In mine There is an outer stainless jacket that is 29 gallons and a inner container that is 19 gallons. I am going to make a mash tun out of the jacket and a fermentor out of the inner container.
[img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201701 ... 48a397.jpg[/img][img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201701 ... 46048a.jpg[/img]

MedStiller

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

I've got a commercial stainless counter top in my 'might need it' bin . I think it would make what I need . I'd forgotten about it until we started talking about this .Also have a length of 1/4" ss tubing that would make a rim stiffener . Might cure my problem with stock in hand .
Could that be mig welded or would you tig it ?
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

Truckinbutch wrote:I've got a commercial stainless counter top in my 'might need it' bin . I think it would make what I need . I'd forgotten about it until we started talking about this .Also have a length of 1/4" ss tubing that would make a rim stiffener . Might cure my problem with stock in hand .
Could that be mig welded or would you tig it ?
Mig might be a little tough depends on the gauge of the material and the size wire you would be using. .030 on thin stainless works pretty good . 035 might be a bit touchy but doable. I did one like that a while ago. I took the tubing and used a slitter wheel in my hand grinder and cut a slit the full length of the tube after I rolled it into shape. Then slipped it over the edge of the boiler and did a little skip weld around the perimeter of the pot. You don't put near as much heat into the pot and you don't have to worry about those little gaps that will be there if you just set the tube on top of the edge of the pot. The pot was rolled from 16 gauge 304 stainless. Some counter tops are quite thin but a commercial one may be thicker , 16 or even 14 gauge would be nice.
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

OH, one more thing If you aren't real particular on looks cut you bottom plate a little over sized and and set the cylinder on it, then do a fillet weld around the perimeter then sand a nice edge on it. That is a bunch easier than trying make an edge weld with thin plate.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

corene1 wrote:OH, one more thing If you aren't real particular on looks cut you bottom plate a little over sized and and set the cylinder on it, then do a fillet weld around the perimeter then sand a nice edge on it. That is a bunch easier than trying make an edge weld with thin plate.
Performance beats a pretty face hands down . Your construction suggestions mirrored my thoughts to a T .
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Not a lot to report on in the last couple days . SRD got a mash started at his place . We been honing our skills in my shop .
The mash in a clear industrial strength trash bag in a Brute can immersed in a larger Brute can for a water jacket is working great . Rack and di
p a finished mash , install a fresh bag and it's ready to fill with a fresh mash .
New 60k burner arrived today . We can now mash grains without breaking down our stills .(SRD had already gotten a second burner for his shop)
AG mash #2 is racked and settling .#3 is cold crashing as of today . #4 might get mashed tomorrow or the day after .
Haven't built a straining rig like MCH is using , yet . Fine as we are grinding before mashing I'm not sure that it would benefit us . Paint strainer bag in a mop bucket followed by a run through the filter cloth I got from Flatwoods is doing a great job in prepping for final settling .
We got word yesterday of a feed mill in an adjoining county that will mill corn to what ever fineness we desire for $6/50# . Whole corn is approx $9/50# at TSC right now . We'll be checking this out in the next coupe weeks .
Mebbie they can get us some barley , oats , and rye as well .
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

Truckinbutch wrote: We got word yesterday of a feed mill in an adjoining county that will mill corn to what ever fineness we desire for $6/50# . Whole corn is approx $9/50# at TSC right now . We'll be checking this out in the next coupe weeks .
Mebbie they can get us some barley , oats , and rye as well .
man that a hell of a deal especially if it local sourced corn. im paying 17 bucks for a 50 # or fine cracked corn from who knows where

keep up the good work guys :thumbup:
spirit run dave
Novice

TB and I had a productive day. Out of 20 to 21 gallons of mash,we pulled off 3 gals of low wines. First batch we only got two. Getting better and better.
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

spirit run dave wrote:TB and I had a productive day. Out of 20 to 21 gallons of mash,we pulled off 3 gals of low wines. First batch we only got two. Getting better and better.
not bad. how deep are you digging into the tails? whats the final proof of the low wines?

i average about a gallon of low wines out of a 5 gallon strip run with the same OG. just dont want to see you guys leaving good likker behind after all the hard work to make it

carry on...

cheers
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

spirit run dave wrote:TB and I had a productive day. Out of 20 to 21 gallons of mash,we pulled off 3 gals of low wines. First batch we only got two. Getting better and better.
Part of the difference was the fineness of the grind and the other part was the #/gallon charge . 2#/gallon works better than 1.5#/gallon .
Someone on another thread commented on the ordeal of running 50# of corn through a Corona . I have to think that he is hand cranking the mill . That would be an ordeal . SRD and I ran 25# of cracked corn through our Corona , powered with a 1/2" drill in less than 3 minutes .
We are doing 3 grinds . Crack the whole corn . Tighten the burrs and fine crack on the second run . Tighten again to grind to flour . 2 people will be hard pressed to keep a drill powered Corona mill fed after the first crack of whole corn .
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

rager wrote:
not bad. how deep are you digging into the tails? whats the final proof of the low wines?

i average about a gallon of low wines out of a 5 gallon strip run with the same OG. just dont want to see you guys leaving good likker behind after all the hard work to make it

carry on...

cheers
Today SRD ran down to 30% and out of propane at the same time while I was rescuing grandkids from the school bus .
Neither of us felt it worthwhile to bust out a new tank to keep boiling from 30 to 20 . We normally collect down to 20% .
Since these are stripping runs we have been shoving the boiler and collecting in half gallon jars after the fore shot collection .
We will combine equal portions of each jar to determine abv before we dilute for a spirit run .
We have 5 1/4 of low wines ready to spirit run , a new mash we pitched yeast on today and a finished mash to rack and strain tomorrow . And enough ground corn to boil up another mash tomorrow while we are racking the finished one .
SRD has his shop almost a duplicate of mine now so I gotta be helping him , too .
ShineRunner
Swill Maker

Post by ShineRunner »

Truckinbutch wrote: Someone on another thread commented on the ordeal of running 50# of corn through a Corona . I have to think that he is hand cranking the mill . That would be an ordeal . SRD and I ran 25# of cracked corn through our Corona , powered with a 1/2" drill in less than 3 minutes .
We are doing 3 grinds . Crack the whole corn . Tighten the burrs and fine crack on the second run . Tighten again to grind to flour . 2 people will be hard pressed to keep a drill powered Corona mill fed after the first crack of whole corn .
I think you're talking about my thread? I am actually running a 1/2" drill with it, but it gets very hot after about 5 pounds, so I let it cool. I'm going from cracked in the bag to what I would call course meal with some flour and some shells still. I go in 1 step. Perhaps I should try to go more gradually and do 2 runs?

SR
spirit run dave
Novice

We did ours in little steps.overall the finer we ground,the higher og.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

ShineRunner wrote:
Truckinbutch wrote: Someone on another thread commented on the ordeal of running 50# of corn through a Corona . I have to think that he is hand cranking the mill . That would be an ordeal . SRD and I ran 25# of cracked corn through our Corona , powered with a 1/2" drill in less than 3 minutes .
I think you're talking about my thread? I am actually running a 1/2" drill with it, but it gets very hot after about 5 pounds, so I let it cool. I'm going from cracked in the bag to what I would call course meal with some flour and some shells still. I go in 1 step. Perhaps I should try to go more gradually and do 2 runs?

SR
We've tightened our mill to the point that cracked corn stalled the drill and nearly sprained my wrist while the clutches were slipping . You can do 3 easy runs to flour in less time and effort than it takes to go from cracked to flour in one pass .
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

I definitely find multiple passed are better than trying to stress the grinder and drill.
I can do passes fast enough and I tighten the plates in 1/4 turn increments.

A 5 gallon pail makes a fine hopper and holds about 25# grain.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
ShineRunner
Swill Maker

Post by ShineRunner »

Thanks guys. Not sure why I insisted that I needed to clamp the dang thing down and burn my motor out. :wtf:

Just did a quick trial and it's definitely easier to do a couple passes.

Cheers. Carry on!

SR