Birdwatchers sugar wash recipe

Moderator: Site Moderator

rad14701
Master Distiller

Re: Birdwatchers sugar wash recipe

Post by rad14701 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:28 am

The fertilizer I use has the same magnesium sulfate so if I use 20-20-20 I use less or no Epsom Salt... I was hoping to mix up another batch of my tweaked Birdwatchers this week but it might be next week before that happens...

rad14701
Master Distiller

Post by rad14701 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:50 am

seaguy wrote:Hope 1/2 tsp 20-20-20 per bucket isn't too much :roll:
I use 1/2 tsp per gallon...

Bushman
Global moderator

Post by Bushman » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:22 am

yamastill wrote:
seaguy wrote:
patriot469 wrote: sg 1.006
Temp 70F
I will keep you updated.

Thanks Birdwatcher.

You might need to get it a little warmer if you can. 75F better 80F even better
I am using a 60 Watt bulb with one of those metal work cone type lights about 2" away and one of my daughters old winter jackets over it which keeps it at 84-86F. Give it a shake every night and every morning.
Sounds about right however there are mixed reviews about shaking it. Some aerate the first 3 days and then leave it others do a stir at the beginning and then leave it alone. I have tried both and really don't notice a major difference.

Andy Capp
Swill Maker

Post by Andy Capp » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:16 pm

I've tried both ways and found, that for me, stripping the wash before a spirit run gives better results. Other people will have different set-ups and will get different results using the same recipe. Sometimes i get different results with the same recipe. :roll:
A hangover is when you open your eyes in the morning and wish you hadn't.

DFitz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DFitz » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:53 am

This is my first wash and so far so good. I think the lil duck thermometer helps. :lol:

Fastill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fastill » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:13 pm

Odin wrote:Do you guys like this recipe as a very, very neutral? Just to drink it like that? Or as a basis for maceration, infusion, etc.?

I ask this, because it is the most awsome neutral I ever made. Só neutral, I felt like drinking water. And my brain told me something was not right.

Somehow (but maybe just for me) a vodka should have at least some mouth feel or anything distinguishable left.

Just sharing my thoughts.

Odin.
I run this off at 94% and I seem to get some slight brandy tasting notes out of it. I just felt it was because of the tomato paste and sugar combo. Not what I am after in a vodka but it makes for some awsome strawberry p.d. and apple pie.When I want vodka I make rads all bran and add some extra crushed wheat berrys to the mix.
Still Birdwatchers is a great go to when I want more ABV from a neutral.
A.D.D. and HD don't go together. This hobby takes time and dedication to learn and do it right and safe.
Fill the pool before you jump in head first!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975

Bushman
Global moderator

Post by Bushman » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:08 am

Odin, it is very neutral which for me allows me to use it in exactly the manner you suggest (infusion, macerate, or making lemoncillo or apple pie). It is also good for a lot of liqueurs like Kahlua, raspberry liqueur, amaretto, etc. If I use it as a vodka I usually include a vanilla bean or something to add a bit of flavor.

rasher
Novice

Post by rasher » Sun May 20, 2012 8:39 am

I'll throw my hat in the ring now. Ran my first pot-still "strip" run on 45L yesterday.
OG 1.07, Final SG 1.02 (let it cook for 10 days, but I couldn't wait any longer!) - 6.57% ABV
During the strip run, collected:
250mL foreshots
4 pints (heads?) @ 59%, 59%, 56%, 54% (started cloudy and got clearer)
4 quarts (hearts?) @ 49%, 46%, 42%, 36%
5 pints (tails?) @ 30%, 27%, 23%, 20%, 20%

The "heads" had a solvent-y smell while the "tails" had a sour wet-sock smell. The "heart" were DELICIOUS!
I had originally planned to just toss the entire run into a bucket and save up several of these strip runs for a reflux spirit run, but then a bunch of friends and family came over so I cracked into the hearts.

My plan now is to take the hearts of these strip runs, blend 'em and share them with people as "Aguardiente", a Guatemalen cane liquor I'm familiar with. Then I'll save back the tails and heads and when I end up with 40L or so, reflux 'em through a spirit run and call that my "Krystal Klear Party Liquor".

Either way, my first still run was a SMASHING success, the distillate was very drinkable, my friends and family had a great time and nobody so far has waken up with a hangover. This is a GREAT recipe.

Oh yeah... I poured all the backset back into my fermenters, recharged with more sugar, nutrients and water and then pitched some more yeast this morning.

rad14701
Master Distiller

Post by rad14701 » Sun May 20, 2012 2:53 pm

It would have paid to remain patient and let the wash ferment to dry... :think: You gave away ~4% ABV... :thumbdown: You need to learn to sit on your hands and wait... :thumbup:

mash rookie
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by mash rookie » Sun May 20, 2012 3:30 pm

rasher wrote: Oh yeah... I poured all the backset back into my fermenters, recharged with more sugar, nutrients and water and then pitched some more yeast this morning.
Your backset from the still or your lees from the fermenter? The lees will have live yeast ready to rock and roll. Good for neutral birdwatchers.

Backset or dunder is typically only used for whiskey or rum to enhance flavor. Not such a good idea for vodka.
MR

jimmycrackedcorn
Novice

Post by jimmycrackedcorn » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:59 pm

Soooo excited. Started my first batch of bw and it is already workin away. after 15 minutes it has a 1/2 inch krausen.

5 gal water
1 lemon
11 lbs sugar
3/4 tsp epson
6 oz tom paste
70 grams yeast
SG 1.85

pitched yeast 10:30 pm
91F
10:45 bubbling away

will keep you all posted
Attachments
bw.jpg
bw.jpg (7.04 KiB) Viewed 5001 times

jimmycrackedcorn
Novice

Post by jimmycrackedcorn » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:54 am

12 hours later. this recipe rocks :D
Attachments
bw2.jpg
bw2.jpg (10.72 KiB) Viewed 4994 times

oakback
Novice

Post by oakback » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:01 am

mash rookie wrote:
rasher wrote: Oh yeah... I poured all the backset back into my fermenters, recharged with more sugar, nutrients and water and then pitched some more yeast this morning.
Your backset from the still or your lees from the fermenter? The lees will have live yeast ready to rock and roll. Good for neutral birdwatchers.

Backset or dunder is typically only used for whiskey or rum to enhance flavor. Not such a good idea for vodka.
MR
I must use hot water to dissolve the sugar, will this "hurt" the yeast?

rad14701
Master Distiller

Post by rad14701 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:51 am

oakback wrote:
mash rookie wrote:

MR
I must use hot water to dissolve the sugar, will this "hurt" the yeast?
The dissolved sugar mix needs to be cooled before pitching yeast... Don't get your terms confused...
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30062
Back Set
What is left in your still after distillation. Referred to as ”Dunder” when Rum has been distilled

rad14701
Master Distiller

Post by rad14701 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:37 am

youraussiemate wrote:nah no airlock, for some reason the foaming has started up and its going crazy again.
Yeast like a consistent temperature as opposed to fluctuations... If you can keep the temperature stable the yeast colony will be less stressed and will do their job more efficiently...

SIXFOOTER
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by SIXFOOTER » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:56 pm

OK, so I did 2 stripping runs sat and netted some 2.5 gallons of 138 proof or better. Ran pretty fast, steady output from about 176* or so down to 200* and the output started trickling off. I isolated the first 100ml as foreshots both runs. Then collected all the output and cut it to 40% and ran it pretty slow, slow dribble, took 5 or 6 hours and collected 13 pints 178* up to 195* or so.
1 158 proof
2 159
3 160
4 160
5 161
6 160
7 160
8 158
9 158
10 156
11 140
12 114
13 100
So, its pretty clear that number 11 to 13 are in the tails, so that can go in the feints collection.
What say you on the heads? Hearts?
No real color difference other than the last 1 or 2 are just a touch hazy. No real change in smell either on 1 thru 9 or 10.
Had a little taste of #3 cut to 40% when it was running, pretty nice, got a little mouth feel.
Opinions?

maheel
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by maheel » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:12 am

pleasecoverfood wrote:Hay Tater, I'm from & in the south too. Heart of Dixie.
I went to your info page, it has a link to contact you, (PM) but it won't activate.
I got the ingredients for the BSWR, & almost ready to try it. I am mathematically challenged when it comes to metric conversions (well, most any conversions).
I am using 2 gal fermenters, and have one 5 gal. All I can figure out using the Calcs is that 80 L is about 21 gal and 21 divided by 2 (Gal?) is 10.5. No idea what good that does me if any. Does the LBM on the Calcs stand for Lbs? A cooking site said a pound of sugar was roughly 2.25 cups and that is what I've been using so far (3 Lb for 2 Gal).
I have no idea on how to break down the 3 lemons or the paste. I think the paste (using Hunt's) is 24 OZ for what you are using (3 cups)?
I believe on the yeast (using Flieschmans) that the 225 G is one cup, no idea where to go from there. As far as the light bulb is concerned, Lows in 70's F & Highs in lower to mid 90's, inside where I am making the wash it will be average of 85.
Anything you can tell me that might clear things up for me?
Thanks.
try 25L bucket
5kg sugar
fill with water and mix in thew rest
juice of one large lemon
pinch of epsom salt
200grams ot tomato paste

pitch a cup of yeast from say 35deg C or under
ferment at +-28 deg celcius

walk away and leave alone for two weeks then distill :)

rad14701
Master Distiller

Post by rad14701 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:12 am

skydivemd wrote:Add 2.5 tsp Epsom salts.
That might be a bit much Epsom Salt, but it shouldn't cause any major problems... I like to invert my sugar and have found that boiling in the tomato paste speeds ferment times...

Keep us posted on the progress...

rad14701
Master Distiller

Post by rad14701 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:21 am

Gaztops wrote:For my very first attempt at creating a wash i want to copy BW's recipe to the letter apart from volume size(I'm doing a 20l wash) but I am unable to get hold of tomato paste. Here in the UK, the closest thing I can get is double concentrate tomato puree. I've Googled both products and received conflicting reports on whether the puree is the equivelent to the paste. The tomato puree has no preservetives in it, so I was hoping to use that instead of the tomato paste.
I use tomato puree more often than tomato paste and haven't noticed any difference in performance... You just want straight puree, just as you do paste, without any additives... The only real difference is the amount of water removed... I have taken to buying large (1 gallon?) cans of puree from Sam's Club... That's about a years supply if it doesn't go bad before being used...

akrandy
Novice

Post by akrandy » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:18 am

i have done this reipe twice and can not get it to 70 percent. what am i doing wrong?? was hoping for 90% or better. thanks akrandy
Keep shinning

RevSpaminator
Swill Maker

Post by RevSpaminator » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:55 am

akrandy wrote:i have done this reipe twice and can not get it to 70 percent. what am i doing wrong?? was hoping for 90% or better. thanks akrandy
No matter what you are distilling, percent is result of process and equipment, NOT the recipe.... Unless I misread your question and you are talking about percentage of sugar consumption by the yeast.
Snake Oil Whiskey And Miracle Elixir - It'll cure ya or kill ya.

Dnderhead
retired

Post by Dnderhead » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:08 pm

its not the wash its the still.if you want 90% then you need a good reflux still and run it right.
most likely you need to slow it down. do this with the reflux condenser.its a long proses if you want 90% or higher.
its best to do a stripping run or several then a spirits run.

Dnderhead
retired

Post by Dnderhead » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:45 pm

DRIP,,,,,DRIP,,,,,,DRIP.. yes it will take 10-12--or even 20 hours depending on the size and type of still.3in/75mm columns braking point and can start into a small stream.

skydivemd
Novice

Post by skydivemd » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:13 am

Time to update -- See initial post on page 50 (phew... Impressive thread for an impressive recipe!).

So things had slowed down awhile ago and I can hazard a guess that there has been no activity in the airlock for the past week. Initial plan had been to run it on Tuesday 8/7 and that should have been enough time for fermentation to cease and some clearing to occur. But, that SOB Murphy's Law got in the way and I was sick as a dog. Needless to say, they are still "clearing" but will hope to have them run next week.

Checked F.G. today and thought my hydrometer was going on a suicide mission - damn thing sunk like a rock. Results: F.G. = 0.990 or better. The meniscus places the gravity below 0.990 but this is below the scale on the hydrometer. I will go with it being 0.985. That will give us a wash of ~ 13.5% . As far as taste, I found a nice, dry, clean product with no off-flavors that should make some excellent neutral.

---------------------------

MR: Indeed, this was a very active (!) ferment and blew a lot of water out of the airlocks. The lids did manage to stay on...just barely.

Rad: I'm quite interested in speeding up the overall time to ferment to such a fine product. Do you invert simply by boiling water, sugar, lemon juice and tomato paste/puree in a large pot for 30 min or so? Or do you invert with a measured amt of citric acid?
I've looked through the thread to see some of your adjustments and have come up with, "The tweaks I am currently testing per gallon (4 liters) are: 1/2 tsp epsom salt (where I got the 2.5 tsp per 5 gallons measurement), 1/2 tsp baking soda and 1/2 tsp Peters 20-20-20." with the caveat that if you use 20-20-20 then you use less or no Epsom Salt. Have you settled on any regular adjustments that you use every time you can share or confirm? Any input you can provide will be most appreciated.

Thanks all.
Blue Skies,
skydiveMD
jumps out of perfectly good airplanes...

Blue Skies,
skydiveMD

rad14701
Master Distiller

Post by rad14701 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:01 pm

skydivemd wrote:Rad: I'm quite interested in speeding up the overall time to ferment to such a fine product. Do you invert simply by boiling water, sugar, lemon juice and tomato paste/puree in a large pot for 30 min or so? Or do you invert with a measured amt of citric acid?
I've looked through the thread to see some of your adjustments and have come up with, "The tweaks I am currently testing per gallon (4 liters) are: 1/2 tsp epsom salt (where I got the 2.5 tsp per 5 gallons measurement), 1/2 tsp baking soda and 1/2 tsp Peters 20-20-20." with the caveat that if you use 20-20-20 then you use less or no Epsom Salt. Have you settled on any regular adjustments that you use every time you can share or confirm? Any input you can provide will be most appreciated.
That's pretty much my regular Birdwatchers recipe... I invert my sugar using white vinegar at a rate of 1 tablespoon per pound of sugar...

Hawk_
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hawk_ » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:59 am

Bruha wrote:I was wondering how you clear-up the wash before the strip run? Thanks
Just let it sit and clear on its own. The night before I run I transfered to a secondary and then poured it through a tshirt into the still the next morning.

Birdwatchers seems to me to have no trouble clearing once done fermenting.
"You only have power over people so long as you don't take everything from them. Once you've robbed them of everything, they're no longer in your power. They're free again."

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

rad14701
Master Distiller

Post by rad14701 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:49 pm

New to distilling wrote:Hi Folks,
Ballsed up my first birdwatchers by adding to much sugar, sort of scalled down the recipe and didn't calc the sugar right. Started sg 1:100 and has almost come to a stand still at 1:40. should I just burn it off in the still now?
If it were still fermenting albeit very,very slowley and put it through the reflux still would it be a problem.
Would appriciate any help.

Regards
Adding water will dilute the %ABV of the wash down to a point where there is less stress on the yeast colony... Then you can determine whether that is actually part of the problem or not... Could be not enough tomato paste, pH, temperature swings, or any number of other issues...

New to distilling
Novice

Post by New to distilling » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:45 pm

Maybe I should put a camden tablet in and stop the fermentation and distill it?

Dnderhead
retired

Post by Dnderhead » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:55 pm

"camden tablet in and stop the fermentation and distill it?"
i whould not do this. 1.100=13% bakers yeast should do it.
id add more nutrients (tomato or other) and Don'T use baking soda...

RevSpaminator
Swill Maker

Post by RevSpaminator » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:49 pm

New to distilling wrote:Hi Folks,
Ballsed up my first birdwatchers by adding to much sugar, sort of scalled down the recipe and didn't calc the sugar right. Started sg 1:100 and has almost come to a stand still at 1:40. should I just burn it off in the still now?
If it were still fermenting albeit very,very slowley and put it through the reflux still would it be a problem.
Would appriciate any help.

Regards
If it is still fermenting, then the yeast are still alive and doing their job. Let them be and go do something else until the fermentation finishes. Your still will be there a few days from now. There's a lot of sugar in there waiting to be made into alcohol.

That is the number one mistake I've seen by people new to fermentation...lack of patience. New brewers, wine makers and distillers ask all the time "is it stuck?" I've made that mistake before myself, but in those days there weren't internet forums where I could ask anyone. I just had to rely on books and the knowledge of the guy at the homebrew supply.
Snake Oil Whiskey And Miracle Elixir - It'll cure ya or kill ya.