Best practices for wiki?

Discussions pertaining to the homedistiller wiki.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Single Malt Yinzer
Trainee

Best practices for wiki?

Post by Single Malt Yinzer »

Questions on "best practices" for the Wiki:

- Are we ok linking out of the Wiki to another place? (e.g. Linking our wiki's article on autolysis to the Wikipedia entry on the same subject, videos on youtube, etc)
- Is it a good idea to link Wiki entries to threads/post on our forums? I'm thinking discussions on starters, backset, grains, etc. Threads and posts are great, but some can get long and involved. If we could update the wiki with a more succinct version and link to the threads for more of the evolving discussion.
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Re: Best practices for wiki?

Post by Uncle Jesse »

Single Malt Yinzer wrote:Questions on "best practices" for the Wiki:

- Are we ok linking out of the Wiki to another place? (e.g. Linking our wiki's article on autolysis to the Wikipedia entry on the same subject, videos on youtube, etc)
- Is it a good idea to link Wiki entries to threads/post on our forums? I'm thinking discussions on starters, backset, grains, etc. Threads and posts are great, but some can get long and involved. If we could update the wiki with a more succinct version and link to the threads for more of the evolving discussion.

I use external links at the bottom of pages. Like this:

[http://homedistiller.org Brief description of page]

As for linking the forums, it's done a lot in some pages. Follow the same guideline. The new distiller's FAQ does it a lot. Some links may need to be cleaned up. I am more concerned with restoring content than making things perfect at the moment.
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.