Strategic question

Discussions pertaining to the homedistiller wiki.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Strategic question

Post by Uncle Jesse »

I've been going through this page:

http://homedistiller.org/wiki/index.php/index.php ... w_To_Build

And modifying things a bit. First, I created a page in the wiki for Bokabob's original still/column drawings/diagrams. This is done to remove a link to the home page and instead create a link to a wiki page.

I've been changing the references so that instead of having a statement and then a [1] following, I hyperlink the actual statement.

Does this make sense at all? Please see the page and check the first few hyperlink I changed.

Before I change more, I want to get a consensus as to whether or not this is a good idea.
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
Cu29er
Bootlegger

Re: Strategic question

Post by Cu29er »

Hyperlinking the statement is best as more people will click on _this linked text_ than on a reference point [1] that tends to get skipped during normal reading since it's often more of a citation record than additional information, and the goal is to click on the link to open a second tab and get the information.

On the Boka, up in the top with the original drawing reference, make sure to indicate the additional mods further down. I followed the original drawing and added the second temp tube at the top plate from prior experience not seeing the mod (lol, must be learnin' somethin') but did as the drawing had for soldering the top angle plate to the coil after thinking it should be soldered across like the mod I found later (ah, should have done that after all). Story just to say it would have been best if I saw the original and got into the mods from the beginning.

Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Agreed.
Those blue hyperlinks say "information" to me
whereas [1] screams "uninteresting reference point".
Opdog
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Opdog »

I agree with Still Life. The contextual links are much easier to use. The information is much more digestible that way. For me, the footnotes scream "random citation that I'm not going to read anyway".
I've stopped fighting my inner demons. We are on the same side now.
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Jesse »

Doing a lot of work on this page. Fixed the table of contents, now working on the huge amount of hyperlinks. Feel free to doublecheck my work.
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Jesse »

Done. I think it looks pretty good. Wasn't fun editing almost 60 links.