Need help with: Grain Flavor Profiles

Discussions pertaining to the homedistiller wiki.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Single Malt Yinzer
Trainee

Need help with: Grain Flavor Profiles

Post by Single Malt Yinzer »

So I opened a huge bucket of worms with this one: http://homedistiller.org/wiki/index.php/index.php ... r_Profiles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

1) Should I list out *ALL* the different barley malts and try to come up with a description?
*OR*
2) Should I list out basic characteristics of grains (lighter means [this], medium means [this], dark means [this])

I tried #1 but I had two issues - it's a HUGE list and I can't say what most will taste like after being distilled. Other than a few posts most people stick to base malts or adding a small amount of specialized grains. I would need other people to test them out and give me tasting notes.

#2 is more generic but make a much more simple entry.

I feel like I should start with #2 then start getting info and moving into a #1 type entry.
RedwoodHillBilly

Re: Need help with: Grain Flavor Profiles

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

Single Malt Yinzer wrote: I feel like I should start with #2 then start getting info and moving into a #1 type entry.
Sounds like a plan. I'm sure others can help to contribute to #1 from their experience.
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Re: Need help with: Grain Flavor Profiles

Post by Uncle Jesse »

As an old boss always said "We start small, or not at all"

Go with the simple first, and then it can be edited/expanded later. That's what I've done with many of the pages I (re)created in the wiki.
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.