Is mash suppose to smell bad?

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Guy

Is mash suppose to smell bad?

Post by Guy »

I've had my simple sugar mash going for a couple of days now. When I open it up a bit and put my nose over it the stuff smells pretty bad. Granted I have never had much of a taste for alcohol but is it suppose to smell nasty like this?
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

well

Post by Uncle Jesse »

never made a sugar mash...but no mash smells good in my opinion. i've sort of acquired an appreciation for a sour corn mash, but i'm sure it's just my weird affectations.
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.

Post by Guest »

yeah, i got mine going on sence monday and it doesnt smell too bad. Right now it doesnt really stink, it only smells like the molasses i put in but with an alocholic tent to it, i think it smells pretty good.

Re: well

Post by Guest »

Uncle Jesse wrote:never made a sugar mash...but no mash smells good in my opinion. i've sort of acquired an appreciation for a sour corn mash, but i'm sure it's just my weird affectations.
Thanks, I was afraid I had messed something up
AkCoyote
Swill Maker

Post by AkCoyote »

I love the smell of about any wash but rice. It stinks. Tastes sour and generally makes you want to just toss it. But damn if it isn't GOOD when double distilled in a pot still! :D

AkCoyote
pangea

Post by pangea »

If it doesn't smell like sour stinky feet, you've messed up.
linw
Swill Maker

Post by linw »

I don't know what you class as a bad smell but a sugar mash doesn't smell 'bad' or 'off' to me. It doesn't have much of a smell at all, actually. Just a bit of a sour alcohol smell that is not offensive.
Cheers,
Lindsay.
Backwoods
Novice

Post by Backwoods »

I usually like the smell of my mashes, but I have had 2 now that smelled down right funky. But they stilled out to some good sippin stuff. :wink:
"Shot who in the what now?" -Jasper