parts for my new still

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

bama
Novice

parts for my new still

Post by bama »

i have had most of the parts lying around for a long time, but cant figure out a way to attach the lyne arm to the boiler. i looked for a copper flange at lowes but couldnt find one. are brass fittings okay? i read somewhere on the site that brass reacts somehow w/ tha alc and i wouldnt even think of using anything galvanized. i also tried silver solder but it just flaked off th ss turkey pot and i burned th hell out of my finger :x
Moonshine still? What moonshine still?
The Chemist
Trainee

Post by The Chemist »

Hey, Bama--I used to live in LA, too, twenty years ago. Dothan. Just as hot here in Shreveport, but we don't get the nice afternoon showers every day! Can't help with the actual question, I'm but a lowly chemist!
Purposeful motion, for one so insane...
bama
Novice

Post by bama »

Ah the great city of Dothan. thats actually where i live! :D Chemist, do you know if brass would react with alc? if i could use brass fittings, how would i attach it to the pot?
DBM

Brass

Post by DBM »

Bama;
I live in SWGA and i use brass fittings.
The Chemist
Trainee

Post by The Chemist »

From a chemistry standpoint, I don't see anything wrong with using brass. I'll defer to other, more knowlegable people as to whether it's a good thing. I see your neighbor, DBM, uses it.

Know of the Dothan Bubbett's--I'm related to them--Mary and the late Vic. He used to be the editor of the Eagle, and she worked a Wallace for years.
Purposeful motion, for one so insane...

Post by Guest »

the beer brewers have written extensively on brass and the general thrust is that in contact with sweet wort brass is aceptable BUT most brass has some surface traces of lead from the manufacture which is not. they have published works on the net as to a process called passivating which is suposed to remove any traces of lead from the surface. I do not know if this relates to what you are asking but just giving it as potential methods to search further. brass is a bronze alloy and so several blends are probaly used by differant casters yellow red etc.
Virginia Gentleman
Rumrunner

Post by Virginia Gentleman »

Yup, there are posts in these forums on how to treat brass to remove lead using vinegar and hydrogen peroxide. Here's a snip from one from boozer:
Brass is OK to use. In the home disttiller book you will find reference to treating brass with a 2:1 mix of white vinegar and 3% hydrogen peroxide. Soak for about 10 minutes. It removes any surface lead. If you leave it longer the brass goes black and you need to start again.
Search on brass and vinegar in the forums for more info.
Lord preserve and protect us, we've been drinkin' whiskey 'fore breakfast.

Post by Guest »

If you have the time to build one for a nice instruction and cut layout on fabricating a copper flange from a short length of tubing look at the article tittled "build a practical eco friendly home still" the flange building instructions are in the middle of the article
it is on this page: http://distillers.tastylime.net/library ... 20Listings" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Virginia Gentleman
Rumrunner

Wait Guest, I thought copper was unsafe. You are clearly doing nothing but trolling with your posts about copper and plastic.

And why the hell don't you register a username?

Post by Guest »

I am curious as to why the swedes have any reason to avoid copper is that a crime? They did not give any reason. If you want to avoid brass and pasivating i have given a link to a method of fabricating a copper flange. Did that incite you? calm down brother i know you are a gentleman by your handle!
Virginia Gentleman
Rumrunner

Yup, I'm a gentleman (to a point). That's why I'll refrain from responding to any more of your posts. I've said my peace, and it's just gotten silly now. I just hope that others will warn neophytes against the bad advice you give. If I read your posts when I first started out I sure would have made some bad decisions.
boozer

Post by boozer »

Guys,

From all my reading Copper is the preferred material for distilling. It removes sulfides from the product.
It has been the material used scince adam was a boy and if there was any problem with it some one would have blown the whistle by now.

Bottoms up; Boozer
pangea

Post by pangea »

Solder a copper pipe cap; that is the right size for your column, upside down onto the top of your boiler lid. Drill a shitload of holes through it and the lid. You can completely remove the inside or leave a thin mesh of the holes to hold marbles, scrubbers, etc in your column.

Post by Guest »

do take a look at the flange fabrication mentioned above i think you will find it a solid desighn although a bit of time and labor to fabricate it should serve very well compared to many of the alternatives.
bama
Novice

Post by bama »

are u sure that brass fittings for home water systems contain lead? i wouldnt think so. that would be against the law wouldnt it?
bama
Novice

Post by bama »

problem solved. i bolted a piece of 3/4 in. plywood to the top and used that as my flange. :D