Copper scrubber vs stainless

Forum for the discussion of any material/synthetics.Only posts with info /or links to research info allowed . Any posts recommend the use of any material without copy's or links to show proven research will be deleted

Moderator: Site Moderator

Copper scrubber vs stainless

Post by Guest »

Any one know if these are ok to use in the column?

Wld they wear out faster or rust more?

thanks
Jaeger
Novice

Post by Jaeger »

Go with pure copper scrubbers, or better yet, some structured packing from mile-hi or brewhaus.
The copper helps to catalyze out bad flavors and tastes.
Blueraven
Swill Maker

Post by Blueraven »

I think a call to the mauf wld be in order..right now i know the ss are made in the us and prob wld be inert..Not sure abt the cu..tho

Post by Guest »

Who cares what the SS ones are made of, you don't need them.

Just buy what is the most appropiate, STRUCTURED COPPER MESH.

Do a search on Google for "Copper mesh" or order it through one of the brew shops. I know "amphora" sell it (link from home distiller home page)
Brett
Swill Maker

Post by Brett »

just out if interest if you get true stainless steel scrubbers and not the cheapo stainless coated normal steel scrubbers then they shouldnt rust, this is why stainless steel is used theory is it doesnt rust (iv had some stainless steel knifes that rusted recently tho :()

correct me if im wrong, but i would say the copper scrubbers will deteriate quicker than the stainless. Having said that if u follow the forum u will see that peoples products have improved in flavour (ie no bad flavours) with the use of copper packing. Its to you, you can go for longetivity or u can go for quality of final product.

my choice: Copper

Post by Guest »

I fnd the copper scrubbers for $1.81/ 2 pack and for $1.99/2 pack

and the stainless for $2.29/per 2 pack.

Ill try the Cu and just rinse every time.

thanks for the all the advice.
DBM

Packing

Post by DBM »

Guest; Garbage in, garbage out. You have politely been advised to use copper mesh. If you persist in using cheep stuff, cheep stuff is what you will wind up with.
It was discovered over a thousand years ago that alcohol made with copper was and is better than any than using any other material avalible. Other members of this forum have tried using stainless and copper pot scrubbers, as I have also, and reported unsatisfactory results. If you don't use copper mesh (not copper pot scrubbers) to start with, you will before you make a good quality product. Save yourself some time and agrivation and use good quality stuff to start with.
Uncle Remus
Trainee

Post by Uncle Remus »

I agree with DBM. The structured copper packing from the Brewhaus is dirt cheap anyway. I personally would not use pot scrubbers.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer.
Brett
Swill Maker

Post by Brett »

The thing here is to be sure u get good quality copper scrubbers, wouldnt surprise me if some of the scrubbers available contain all manner of crap, take a magnet to the shops n run it over the copper scrubbers, if it attracts leave em well alone.

Whats the difference between the scrubbers u used n the copper mesh? is it just how tight the copper was meshed together maybe u werent packin enough scrubbers in. at the end of the day copper is copper, whatever type of copper u use it will be better than stainless.
Hillbilly
Novice

Post by Hillbilly »

I have used both s.s scrubbers and structural copper and can tell no difference in the product. I run a Nixon-Stone design that is made entirely of copper, so I guess I have enough copper in the vapor path. The stainless scrubbers are much tougher than the copper packing so I have gone back to using them. My last run was 95%+ with absolutly no off flavors. Also, stainless scrubbers are available almost anywhere and copper packing must be ordered as all that I've seen locally are only copper plated. Only my two coppers worth.
Yttrium
Swill Maker

Post by Yttrium »

Here's how brewhaus describes their copper mesh:
Widely known as "Structured Packing", it is not truly structured packing, but more of a glorified random packing.
That sounds a heck of a lot like a larger version of a copper pot scrubber to me.
The future is not set. There is no fate but what we make for ourselves. --John Conner
Blueraven
Swill Maker

scrubbers

Post by Blueraven »

Well i ordered the packing but after hilbilly's post almost wish i hadnt.

anyway..ill give em both a try over time and will surely be happy either way.

thanks for all the post on this subject..
Yttrium
Swill Maker

Post by Yttrium »

In defense of the structured packing, the price of the packing is roughly comperable to the price of a similiar amount of 100% copper pot scrubbers.
The future is not set. There is no fate but what we make for ourselves. --John Conner
Blueraven
Swill Maker

Post by Blueraven »

Ytt,

Yeah except for the shipping..I can buy the scrubbers locally.

Seems like every endeavor i get into there are always folk, not you, willing to sell ya all kinda stuff you really dont need..

The advice I gave my brothers was wathc out..the con men will do there best
to seperate you form your money..And beware..their everywhere..

Oh well, enough of that.

Thanks for the input..All
six6guy
Novice

Re:

Post by six6guy »

Hillbilly wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:44 am I run a Nixon-Stone design that is made entirely of copper, so I guess I have enough copper in the vapor path.
Interesting. I'm getting into a similar boat, but I plan to run copper mesh anyway. At the cost difference I tend to just use the better stuff...
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Copper scrubber vs stainless

Post by Swedish Pride »

I love a good Necro thread, if this thread was a person they could drink legally in Europe
Don't be a dick
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Re: Copper scrubber vs stainless

Post by Yummyrum »

Swedish Pride wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:46 pm I love a good Necro thread, if this thread was a person they could drink legally in Europe
And Australia . :ebiggrin: