Peach moonshine

Distillation methods and improvements.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Virginia Gentleman
Rumrunner

Peach moonshine

Post by Virginia Gentleman »

I want to make peach moonshine like I've had from some old timers. Quart jar of peaches filled with moonshine.

Should I put the sliced peaches in, fill with shine and let it sit?

Cover the peaches in sugar to pull out the juice, then add the shine?

Or soak the peaches in shine, then add some simple syrup?
Lord preserve and protect us, we've been drinkin' whiskey 'fore breakfast.
Uncle Remus
Trainee

Post by Uncle Remus »

Sounds good. How bout using canned peaches, which already have plenty of sugar in them? Then you can add the juice (syrup) they 're packed in according to taste.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer.
Brett
Swill Maker

Post by Brett »

One of the ways iv seen (but not with moonshine) is to prick n cover the peaches in the high proof liquor and leave them to soak for a week, strain the liquid of and fill the jar with the peaches full of sugar (this as u know pulls out the juice) when all the sugar is turned to juice strain of keep it sepperate and repeat with more sugar the recipes iv seen say to keep doing it till no more juice comes out, then take all the strainings and mix them together to taste.
Virginia Gentleman
Rumrunner

That could work Remus, but I'd like the fresh peach flavor in there.

Brett, what you're describing is much like the recipes I looked at. It sounds close, but I want to keep the peaches in the likker I guess I could do the straining thing, and then add the final mix back on top of the peaches.

Maybe covering the peaches in sugar, then adding likker after most sugar is pulled from the fruit is the way.
DBM

Peach Brandy

Post by DBM »

1-1 1/2 cups peaches(homemade or canned)
1/2 cinnamon stick
4 whole cloves, 4 whole corinader seeds , 4 pepper corns.
add to a quart jar and fill the jar with high proof.
store 2 weeks, strain or drink as is.

I buy the gal cans of peaches at Sam's Club & fill the qt jar with peaches, add the spices, add the high proof to fill jar 1/2 full, add peach juice to finish filling jar.
I invert the jars every day for the first week then whenever I think about it. After two weeks strain and put strained liquid into gal jug. Peaches can be used twice then throw away.
From your gal. jug fill your brandy bottle. The second time around with the peaches will not be as sweet as the first, also the jar (second time) is filled with highproof and no peach juice, the spices can be reused one time also. Since it is all mixed togather the weak will mix with the strong in the gal jug and give you a common flavor that can be adjusted by adding more or less of the first or seconds.
Be carefull with the cinnamon, some people like to use a whole stick, a littlebit go's a long way.
The Chemist
Trainee

Post by The Chemist »

:lol: Maybe you could try that "pear-in-the-bottle" trick with peaches.
Purposeful motion, for one so insane...
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Make some peach likker and pour over ripe peaches in cannin jars is way old timers did it that i ever saw.My grand pa would some times charr the peaches before soaking them. Figure that fruit is gonna take up about half the volum of quart jar so use untempered likker and let soak a while. 8)
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Virginia Gentleman
Rumrunner

@ DMB, t hat sounds pretty close. Though I'm hoping to use fresh peaches. Guess I could sugar them if I do that, or get some canned.

@ Chemist, that is one of the coolest marketing tricks ever. Seen video of them putting the bottles on when the pears are young.

@ tater, that's probably closer to what I've tasted, though I'm not sure they used peach shine. Hard to tell will all the peach flavor in there. It could also be aged a good while (one jar said "Old Peach" on the top). I like the charring idea, what's it taste like?
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Hard to explain char taste but I do think it adds to flavor I think.When I make liquers I soak fruit in likker for 3 to 6 months remove fruit and cover it with sugar and make syurp to add back to taste.Have seen it where that was done and syurp and fruit was put back in likker.When I dont use same likker as fruit I use a mollasses sugar wash. Rum seems to do well with fruit but not as well as the fruit does.Nothing taste better to me then making blueberry likker and soakin blueberrys in it and them using berrys to make syurp.Adding back to taste and ageing a bit .
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Virginia Gentleman
Rumrunner

Thanks tater. All I've got right now is some corn whiskey, so guess I'm gonna see how it likes peaches, and try rum or a fruit mash next time. I'll probably make 2 quart jars, each a different way.
DBM

Peaches

Post by DBM »

Corn whiskey is what I use to make peach brandy.
Be advised that elderberry season is upon us. Make elderberry wine using standard winemaking procedures. Store your wine till next winter and run it through your reflux still with NO packing. Makes a most excellent brandy for the christmas season.
Virginia Gentleman
Rumrunner

Have to say it tastes pretty good after a couple days sitting. I could see how run or peach likker would be better though. This will do just fine for now.
KatoFong
Swill Maker

Post by KatoFong »

VG Let it age a bit. It'll get even better.
Virginia Gentleman
Rumrunner

yeah, I intend to let it set at least a few weeks, maybe more. but I can't resist giving it a taste every now and then!
Rocky_Creek
Rumrunner

Post by Rocky_Creek »

A Baptist preacher went to see a member of the community and invited him to come to Church on Sunday morning. The man was a producer of fine peach brandy and told the preacher he would love to attend his Church IF the Pastor would drink some of his brandy and admit doing so in front of the congregation. The preacher agreed and drank up.

Sunday morning came and the man came to Church. The preacher recognized him from the pulpit and said: "I see Mr. Johnson is here with us this morning. I want to thank him publicly for his hospitality this week and especially for the peaches he gave me and the spirit in which they were given."
You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, and them's pretty good odds.
Grayson_Stewart
retired

Post by Grayson_Stewart »

About to make my second run on a portion of the peaches I got last month. I picked up 3 bushels of peaches and using a bushel in each batch. Have enough in the freezer for one final run after this to give me a total of 6 gallons of Peach.

After the second run of peaches is finished, I've got 25 gallons of apple to run thats fermenting away right now.....and it's only three or four weeks till the scuppernongs are ripe :D
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Virginia Gentleman
Rumrunner

Good one, Rocky, sounds like a tale Doc Watson used to tell about a Cow and a Baptist. Around here people order a drink called a Presbyterian - whiskey & gingerale. There's also the denomination known as Whiskeypalians;-)

Grayson that's good stuff, do you pit, peel and/or chop/food process the peaches?

Post by Guest »

I am in the process of fermenting a bushel of peaches right now, I added about 20 lbs of sugar in stages and hoping by this weekend that it will be ready to run(there is about 10 or 12 gal of liquid). I am tempting to snatch a gallon to let it ferment out and bottle as wine. I left about 2 dozen of the stone stay with the must, and it gives a bit of extra flavor to it.
I have some reprints of some old distiller books and they make mention of leaving the stone in with the pulp during the fermentation. I will let y'all know how it comes out. One question though, think I should age any of it on chips or a barrel??

Furball
Virginia Gentleman
Rumrunner

Cool, think I read you can get flavor from the stones. Dunno about aging on wood, guess it really couldn't hurt it. I've never made peach shine (only aged my whiskey on them) so I don't know what it tastes like. Since it's kinda a brandy I bet oak would add nice taste. Don't use too much though and maybe test it on a small amount first.
linw
Swill Maker

Post by linw »

Grayson_Stewart wrote:snip.....and it's only three or four weeks till the scuppernongs are ripe :D
Scuppernongs?????
Cheers,
Lindsay.
Grayson_Stewart
retired

Post by Grayson_Stewart »

Scuppernongs are like muscadines, a type of grape. Scuppernongs are bronze and muscadines are purple to red.

Here's a link to Scuppernongs.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post by Guest »

Finished the peach brandy over the weekend, turned out quit good! During the run I collected pretty far into the tails, the distillate was coming out a bit cloudy but this seemed to be where the most "peach flavor" was coming out. I had fermented on the stones and found that the flavor also carried over. Collected 2 gal total out of a 10 gal wash, and when it was all mixed together came out to 68%.
I made a peach syrip by placing 2 sliced up peaches into a mason jar then adding a cup of sugar. Adding the syrip(3 tsp) to a quart give a nice flavor with just a hint of sweetness.
I took the spent wash and added 25lbs of sugar and shooting for another batch, see if I can squeeze out a bit more brandy!

Furball
outlawokie
Novice

Post by outlawokie »

Ok DBM I put up a couple qts. my shine was at 60% I hope that is high enough thanks for the recipe ill check back in a couple weeks
Bring on the twister - I ain't skeered. Hurry put the still in the cellar.
olcarguy
Swill Maker

Post by olcarguy »

My concern is fermenting on the stones...is there any chance of cyanide transferring from the stones into the likker
I don't care if you lick windows,
take the special bus
or occasionally pee on yourself..
You hang in there sunshine, you're friggin' special
TRANSPLANTED HILLBILLY
Rumrunner

Post by TRANSPLANTED HILLBILLY »

If it was easy everybody would do it.

Please join the Partnership For an Idiot Free World.
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

pit em. they will leave a taste. make sure you aint got no green peachs neither. peach is a hard scent to hold.
so im tole
olcarguy
Swill Maker

Post by olcarguy »

Thanks hillbilly: Guess you need a lot of stones to make a lethal concentration.
I don't care if you lick windows,
take the special bus
or occasionally pee on yourself..
You hang in there sunshine, you're friggin' special
Backwoods
Novice

recipe

Post by Backwoods »

My Grandma gave me this recipe, it's for cherries but it can easily be modified to suit your needs.

1 QT cherries, juice and all
4 Cup sugar
1 QT club soda
1 QT brandy
mix and wait 3 months before serving.

I've have not tried it yet but my mom says it worked well when she tried
"Shot who in the what now?" -Jasper