Making an alcometer

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Grayson_Stewart
retired

Making an alcometer

Post by Grayson_Stewart »

Brought over from old forum:

Anonymous
(Unregistered)
08/30/04 05:14 PM
Making an alcometer

Is there any way to build your own alcometer? I can't buy them where I live, and building one is my only way of obtaining one. Also, is there anyway to use a normal hydrometer to measure the percentage in high content drinks? Thanks for your time.

Post Extras:

Knuklehead
(enthusiast)
08/30/04 05:39 PM
Re: Making an alcometer [re: Anonymous]

Here is a link to a post in this section pertaining to the same question you have. You can get quick answers to your questions if you do a search for specific words. Just gets you your answers faster. Good luck.

I am Canadian

Post Extras:

Fourway
(addict)
08/30/04 09:58 PM

Anonymous, register on the site, get a username it's free.

How is it possible that you can't buy them where you live?
in this day and age you can buy anything anywhere through the magic of the internet.
I cant get 80 gallon cast iron cauldrons "where I live" but I can order them from Africa.
I mean unless you live in an antarctic research station or a maximum security prison I cannot imagine that you couldn't have an alcometer shipped to you from the nearest civilized country.

Gin was mother's milk to her. - George Bernard Shaw

Post Extras:

AnalWaste
(journeyman)
08/31/04 02:01 PM
Re: Making an alcometer [re: Fourway]

Sometimes it’s about money, I can’t get one either because of shipping price and minimum orders over the internet and they don’t sell them in Ireland.

Post Extras:

Fourway
(addict)
08/31/04 05:29 PM
Re: Making an alcometer [re: AnalWaste]

I don't buy it. I can send a package that size to Ireland via slow post for around $4 US, I can send it airmail for $14.
The devices themselves range from around $4 to $14 also.

I cannot imagine that it would be more expensive to ship to you from Gert Strand in Sweden

someone somewhere must be willing to sell you one and ship it, send out some emails.

Post Extras:

Anonymous
(Unregistered)
08/31/04 06:25 PM

Post Extras:

Yttrium
(member)
09/01/04 03:42 PM

Just for the sake of argument, let's assume that this person is distilling in a devoutly religious country where the penalty for making alcohol is death or dismemberment. In that case, I wouldn't risk having an alcohometer shipped to me.

Post Extras:

theholymackerel
(enthusiast)
09/01/04 07:32 PM
Re: Making an alcometer [re: Yttrium]

Just for arguement, if that were the case then distillin' would be a pretty foolish operation, eh?

Post Extras:

Yttrium
(member)
09/02/04 07:11 AM
Re: Making an alcometer [re: theholymackerel]

There's a big difference between having a secret hobby you do in the privacy of your own home and having a package sent to you that may have tell tale markings or labeling on it.

Post Extras:

theholymackerel
(enthusiast)
09/02/04 07:52 AM
Re: Making an alcometer [re: Yttrium]

I've told this story before, so I'll give the abridged version:

I have an uncle that got busted with a large still operation here in the states about 20 years ago... he got a pissant fine and served 18 days of a 30 day sentance.

I have a cousin that died in prison in a muslim country... all he was caught with was one gallon of homemade beer... no still, no nada.

If yer in a a country that outlaws alcohol for religious reasons, then makin' alcohol is the height of stupidity.

Post Extras:

Fourway
(addict)
09/02/04 08:10 AM

yes... but Ireland isn't one of those countries.

In fact illegal moonshiners in Ireland advertise their products on the internet and ship them internationally.

Post Extras:

theholymackerel
(enthusiast)
09/02/04 09:42 AM

How did Ireland come into this?

I was simply respondin' to Yttrium's post about distillin' in religious countries that kill offenders.

Yer comment really came outta leftfield Fourway...hehe... I have no idea what yer talkin' 'bout.

Post Extras:

Fourway
(addict)
09/02/04 12:47 PM

I'm off on a tear responding to AnalWaste who said "I can’t get one either because of shipping price and minimum orders over the internet and they don’t sell them in Ireland."
the original unregistered poster hasn't returned as far as I can tell so I'm still on the last person with an "I can't get those here" sob story.

Post Extras:

theholymackerel
(enthusiast)
09/02/04 01:43 PM

Gotcha

Post Extras:

AnalWaste
(journeyman)
09/03/04 12:02 PM

i dont have a credit card to buy off the net and partyman have a min order thing anyway

There is a company that ships hydrometers to Ireland http://www.fisher.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow but when I write in hydrometer in the search engine on the left it gives me lots of different hydrometers with different SG and I can’t seem to find one for with 0 to 100% scale
Can anyone help to identify sprit hydrometers at this site?

Post Extras:

Knuklehead
(enthusiast)
09/03/04 06:26 PM

Sorry Analwaste, I had a look at the site and just get error messages so I couldn't find anything. What you want to look for is an alcoholmeter or a proof and tralle hydrometer. Different words for the same thing. Are you telling me that that site is the only place that will ship to Ireland?

I am Canadian

Post Extras:

Fourway
(addict)
09/03/04 09:01 PM
Re: Making an alcometer [re: Knuklehead]

I bet Rick Morris at http://www.brewhaus.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow would help you out if you sent him an email.

Post Extras:

AkCoyote
(member)
09/03/04 09:29 PM

Just go on eBay. You can pay by PayPal (they'll even take the $$ directly from your bank account) and the seller won't give a hoot where you live.

AkCoyote

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." Thomas Jefferson
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Alcoholmeters

Post by guest »

Alcoholmeters and other things are available at Brewhaus (Canada). They have a free shipping promotion on over the holidays. You will find them at http://www.brewhaus.ca onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Spiritmaker

Make ur own alcomoter

Post by Spiritmaker »

OK! So nobody even bothered to address this guy's original question, can one build their "own alcometer"? There probably ARE a gazillion places where on can obtain one, but IF HE CAN'T! Then can one actually (reasonably) build his own? Granted, it would probably NOT be practical to do this, but aren't the builders of "home made stills" the inventive types anyway? I have seen some truly innovative (and creative) ways to make a device to distil and then clean up the product of your own creation. That's what this hobby is really all about! VERY FEW of us actually live in a land where you may face death simply for making or drinking alcohol! IN fact most of COULD simply run down to the local pub/package store (Whatever you call it locally) and buy a pint cheaply enough to undermine the hobby as a practical venture. But then, do we really do this because we HAVE TO HAVE THE LIQUOR? NO! We do cause we enjoy the pleasure of inventing, building and then seeing it work. So now back to the original question, can one make their own alcomometer? C'mon guys, this is a forum where some truly creative people hang out. I have seen some real genuis in some of your designs (and sometimes they may not be quite so bright), but you people have demonstrated a zeal for this hobby and an ability to be creative, so lets dig down into our collective creativity and give him a straight answer, OK?
Thanks everyone,
Spiritmaker :D
possum
Distiller

Post by possum »

Does this cat that posted realy need the homade S.G. float? Because it can be done,but it requires glass torch, fine markings, and test liquids of known purity. There was a guy in the middle east awhile back who had only access to bakers yeast. If guest gives a shoutout, then I'll post it, but if you know how the thing works, you can make a rough and ready device from anything that can float in the prouduct.
Hey guys!!! Watch this.... OUCH!
stoker
Distiller

Post by stoker »

take a glass pipe wide enough (+- 10mm??) and lang enough, you can already close the bottem
then calculate the volume of the pipe ( imagine it's closed )

if you can borrow a real alcoholmeter: take it's weight, and volume and calculate it's SG

now, you need aprox. the same SG for your alcoholmeter, so you have to change it's weight, melt some tin,.. untill you get what you want

finally close the top of the pipe
-I have too much blood in my alcohol system-
Watershed
Swill Maker

Post by Watershed »

calibrating it would be the problem but I suppose methylated spirits is probably close enough to 96% ethanol in terms of density.

The easiest way would be to make a weighted float that sinks about halfway in 50% meths, it needn't even be glass, wooden fishing floats spring to mind.
Or a drinking straw and some sand.

For a scale, a piece of copper/brass/ maybe even aluminium foil could be run along the length of the float and fixed with thin wire.

Calibrate by just dropping it into various dilutions of the meths and marking the foil with a sharp point.

you'd need to get the varnish off a fishing float first though.

Watershed
Spiritmaker

Post by Spiritmaker »

THM, I don't follow you. Maybe I'm wrong, but It appears to me that it was Greyson Stewart that reintroduced this post and I don't see how anyone can call him a pimp! I don't think I have ever read anything posted by him that was slanted, false or derrogatory about anyone or anything! Maybe it was someone else who resurrected this question, I don't know and I really don't care, the point I was trying to make, is that everyone seemed to have missed the real question which was HOW to make an alcomometer, not WHERE to buy one! Of course few of us would ever bother to make one, even if you do know how, but that WAS the question! As to speaking for you THM, I wouldn't dare to presume to do so! But then I wouldn't critize you for your reasons for pursuing this hobby either! I guess I should have said, "MOST of us" because I still think my statement remains true for most of the people using this forum! It seems obvious that they really enjoy the hobby, and no doubt the rewards too! I know I enjoy the fruits of my labor too, but I'm neither an alcoholic nor a drunk (and yes, there IS a difference), and so my soul purpose in persuing this hobby is not just to make some booze and get drunk. I really enjoy seeing a batch of my "little beasties" churning away, and the aroma is nice too. But when it's finished I sure do enjoy the reward for my efforts. I also enjoy reading the postings made by people who show initative and creativity with this hobby. Unlike you, I am not a long time distiller, so I still have a lot to learn and will continue to read and ask questions that you THM, may consider dumb, but someone said a long time ago, "the only dumb question is the one you didn't ask" and I heartily agree with that! Sometimes, a person can become so "experienced" and knowledgable that thay lose sight of the fact that there may have been a time when they too asked a few irritating (dumb) questions. Remember there are always newcomers to every endeavor, and they may not yet possess the wealth of knowledge you now have. But you could help them grow to that by offering constructive suggestions, and just maybe you will prevent one of them from hurting themselves in their ignorance. So THM, if I offended you by including you in my assesment of what I consider some really great people, then I apoligize for that! But again, my point was that YOU or anyone else has the right to think anything you like, and even ask dumb questions if you wish, but everyone seemed to have missed the point of the real question posed by anon over a year ago. As dumb as it may seem to some, he posted it, so maybe he had a reason for doing so. I hope that we can all get along and continue to enjoy these forums and the interesting comments made by so many of you, without resorting to name calling or hostilities. So let me restate myself.
I DID NOT MEAN TO OFFEND ANYONE! And frankly, I still don't see how I may have done so! I still think (and I better qualify this) "MOST" of you are pretty smart and ARE creative! This shows in what you post, but I will acknowledge that "some" may not really be into the "hobby" as a hobby, and thats OK too, but for those of you who do enjoy your hobby AND the resulting product, my hat's off to you all! I still think all of you (well most of you anyway) are a really great bunch of people. You were smart enough to make it, so now it's time to enjoy th fruits of yer labor, y'all deserve 'em!
Spiritmaker
stoker
Distiller

Post by stoker »

WOW
nice bit of text

ofcourse you need a scale (maybe scratched in the glass?), you can calibrate it with an other alcoholmeter, a real one (from a friend
-I have too much blood in my alcohol system-
Spiritmaker

Post by Spiritmaker »

Yer absolutely right THM, thank you. And I have absolutely :D NO hard feelings either, in fact I really do enjoy these postings. I have read many of yours THM and greatly appreciated them, so lets all continue being friends and benefit from each others experiences! I really do not mean to make you or anyone else feel bad. I was just trying to make a point, thats all. I guess I misread th way things appear when posted seperately and thought you were "slammin" Greyson. Sorry I misread you THM. And thanks for your prompt reply. This makes me feel a whole lot better! AND, I will work on that "but" part you noticed, and try to be more positive and upbuilding.
Thanks for responding,
Spiritmaker :D
Grayson_Stewart
retired

Post by Grayson_Stewart »

Naw, Holy wasn't slamming me at all. If he ever did want to give me a piece of his mind, he would likely do that verbally so I would get the full effect. Holy and I are great friends...Same goes for Tater.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Spiritmaker

Post by Spiritmaker »

Well guys, I'm glad to hear that. I just misunderstood THM's application of th "pimp" I don't know you Greyson, but you sure don't seem to fall into that kind of person! I am always impressed with your knowledge and dignified manner in which you write. Now I think I know why. I read about your educational background and boy, do I ever have an even greater respect for your comments now! No wonder you sound as if you know what you are talking about, You do!

In any case, I hope we will all get to be good friends as time goes by. I know I have learned an awful lot from you guys in the last few months (and I am now realizing that their is a whole lot more there)! Not everything gleaned from these forums is strictly "rocket science" (I mean fuel); often getting to know the people is entertaining too!

Now, lets get back to MAKIN SUM BOOZE, OK?
I was runnibg a little bit of brandy when Greyson's post came on, an lemmie tell ya. It's turning out to be some darn good stuff. Course I hadda let age a little while before sampling it. Hm, lemmie see, that was bout two hours ago, sooo... I reckon it should be bout ready by now!

I made a cheap wine with frozen concentrate, a little sugar and water, and lit it up with a packet of Prestige WD yeast. I ran it off this morning to make something that a person might be able to swallow without gagging too much. Darn, it turned out pretty good!

One day, I may get up enough nerve (and finances) to build a reflux still and start experimenting with essesnses, but that's for another time.
Oh well, Have a great day folks,
I'll be "reading" ya!
Spiritmaker