Plastic bottle's and Alcohol

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

TEC
Bootlegger

Plastic bottle's and Alcohol

Post by TEC »

I've just been sippin' on some non-commercial whiskey and it got me thinkin' about all of the commercial whiskey/sprits sold in plastic bottle's. In all of the research I have done, I cannot recall any information about plastic\alcohol%\temp\time of contact solubility formulas. Has anyone ran across information related to this?

Thank You

whitepony32
Novice

Post by whitepony32 »

I can't tell you that I know any technical information on the plastic bottle issue, but I do have a best friend who also distills moonshine. He puts his in the plastic bottles that bottled water comes in... when people are over to visit, it just looks like bottled water. So far, he has been doing this for about 10 years and no troubles yet.
knuklehead
Rumrunner

Post by knuklehead »

That is a really bad idea putting home made spirits in plastic bottles.
... I say God bless you, I don't say bless you ... I am not the Lord, I can't do that ...
Dane Cook
TEC
Bootlegger

Post by TEC »

As for myself, I have no intention of using plastic for anything that has to do with alcohol. I'm just curious about technical information on the subject. Like what if someone bought some form of sprit in a plastic bottle and on their way home, had some other business to take care of and the bottle sat in the car for hours on a 100 F + day?
jbrew9999

Post by jbrew9999 »

The general rule is: NO PLASTIC.

But, I've gotta believe that commercial distillers package their products in "safe" bottles so I would think that old plastic liqour bottles would be good for spirits that are of the same proof or lower than what came in the bottle. I sure wouldn't trust higher proof spirit in the bottles and I have no reason to expect plastic water bottles to be safe.

I've seen high proof spirits 'melt' plastic in a matter of minutes, so I definitely agree that unknown plastic is bad.
Last edited by jbrew9999 on Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Chemist
Trainee

Post by The Chemist »

Plastic is fine, as long as it's ONLY polycarbonate AND THERE IS 40% OR LESS ALCOHOL. Don't use it to build a still, don't put high proof alcohol in it (even polycarbonate).
Purposeful motion, for one so insane...
Uncle Fred

Post by Uncle Fred »

Anhydrous Isopropyl alcohol 99% comes in plastic 1 gallon jugs that are made from HDPE (high density polyethylene I believe). I also read something about this type of plastic being safe on Tony's site.
I'm sure this stuff wouldn't disolve, but who knows if it would impart any taste to your hard earned product.
ponyboy

Post by ponyboy »

Those bottle are made of PETE (Polyethylene terephthalate). I would agree only put 40% or less alcohol in them. They are also oxygen permeable.

Post by Guest »

I just went to check on a plastic milk jug that's full of 85% moonshine, it's been there for 5 plus months, still smells and taste the same.
possum
Distiller

Post by possum »

I never, Never,NEVER put spirits in plastic.Ever. That said, I have seen the 200proof lab reagent ethanol in 1 gallon containers that look like nalganeeen bottles(and drank it after dilluting). I dont know what they are really made of. I USE GLASS EVERY TIME. I personally like the asthetics of glass, and the way that flavors dont linger or leach to or from glass.
Hey guys!!! Watch this.... OUCH!
knuklehead
Rumrunner

Post by knuklehead »

Me too, only ever use glass. Commercial liquor bottles are meant to be filled, sold then emptied once. The don't wash and reuse them as far as I know. I wouldn't even use them at home since I wash and reuse bottles all the time. My first test cylinder was apparently rated to tolerate 97% alcohol and it held up good for a while, then it started to cloud over to the point I couldn't see through it anymore. I just feel a whole lot more comfortable just putting product, even 80 proof in glass.
... I say God bless you, I don't say bless you ... I am not the Lord, I can't do that ...
Dane Cook
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

I'm the same way, no plastic ever. Thing about plastic is you never know...
did plastisizer get leached out? If you do this a while you'll see it happen. Ever see high proof alcohol cloud hit a plastic hydrometer jar? You'll go to glass too. Sure plactic gets used all the time, but its best to eliminate the unknowns where you can. Since using plastic can easily spoil many hours of work, its easy to cross it off the list.
TEC
Bootlegger

Post by TEC »

I agree with everything everyone has said about the downfalls of using plastic in the distillation and storage of alcohol...

I was just looking for some documentation about the commercial use of plastic to store alcohol for human consumption. I take it by the responses that I am not the only one that has not been able to find much on this subject. I'm sure it exists somewhere, but I have not had much luck coming up with the proper search criteria.

Ya know it really is a moot question given the fact that none of us want to take any chances when glass is so available, just something I was curious about while I was doin' a little sippin'

Thanks for all of the input
new_moonshiner
Trainee

Post by new_moonshiner »

So I guess using the 5 gal. water bottles to let a wash clear for a day or two would be a no no then.... :( Not that im cheap but glass isn't that easy to get here ...
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

legalities

Post by Uncle Jesse »

I spoke to a guy at the ATTB and he said there is some plastic bottle type which is OK for distilled spirits. He said he has seen 1.75L containers on the shelf made of plastic. I wish I could recall the name he used for the plastic type. At any rate, he said he's never seen a 750ml bottle for sale in plastic, and the only brands he'd seen were not exactly top shelf.

So, it appears there is some plastic, somewhere, approved for use with distilled spirits. As for the upper end of proof they will safely hold, or where you can get these bottles, I have no idea.
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
wineo
Distiller

plastics

Post by wineo »

All I know is,when I first started distilling,I filled up a polycarb.hydrometer jar with warm distillate{from wine},and the thing turned white,and cracked all over.I could also smell the glue they used to put on the base.
this was the first runnings of distilled wine,and probably had methanal in it,but after seeing that thing get ate,NO MORE PLASTICS FOR ME!
WINEO
old_red_eye
Novice

Post by old_red_eye »

Jesse,

In my province, most store-bought spirits comes in plastic bottles.
This is true for pints, quarts and the larger 40 oz'ers.

The distillers seem to use both, for example I can get Captain Morgan
in plastic pints, plastic or glass quarts and plastic 40 oz'ers.

There are very few glass pints here anymore, most are plastic.
I would guess the quarts are about 50/50 glass/plastic.
Many larger size bottles have also gone plastic.

Some of this is due to marketing and, I imagine, some is due to provincial
regulations and taxes. If I travel to my neighboring province, it is completely
different. They have mostly glass.

We have about 95% plastic cola bottles, and another province has all cans.

Weird regulations. :?
triggernum5
Bootlegger

Post by triggernum5 »

IIRC, in another thread The Chemist stated that any ETOH sample he has analyzed that had come into contact with plastic contained atleast traces of phthalates.. I'm on record admitting that my palette isn't sophiticated enough to tell the difference between liquor stored in each, and haven't personally noticed extra ill effects the next morning drinking ~150proof from 2L sodapop bottles, thinner water bottles, or thicker plastic mickeys.. When I give bottles to ppl I give it to them in plastic (Or a corked beer bottle) because I like to stock up on glass empties for long term storage.. Plastic is more porous than most ppl could comprehend..
Here in Canada atleast the bottles I mentioned are PolyEthylene Terephthlate (PETE Resin Code 1).. I don't know what kind of obtainable vessel might be made from PolyCarbonate but I wish I did..

Edit: Actually The Chemist may have said even distilled water samples contained traces.. Don't recall 100%
Big J
Swill Maker

Post by Big J »

new_moonshiner wrote:So I guess using the 5 gal. water bottles to let a wash clear for a day or two would be a no no then.... :( Not that im cheap but glass isn't that easy to get here ...
Its ok to let your un-distilled wash sit in plastic. I, and I think most people, ferment in plastic buckets. Its only questionable for high ABV distilled spirits.

Cheers,
J
CleanRun
Novice

Re: Plastic bottle's and Alcohol

Post by CleanRun »

Reviving this thread and agreeing completely with wineo: I'm moving away from plastics
where it makes sense to do so.

I've just finished proofing and bottling and then washed my equip. One of the items washed
was my hydrometer jar. Now... its cracked! Never dropped, never abused. Its plastic and I
did spray it with diluted starsan to sanitize as a final step prior to storing. :?:

Anyway, heading out to grab a glass version...
Terminal Gravity: After tasting each and every cut, the speed at which the newly drunken distiller falls from his chair and strikes the floor...
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

Same thing happened to me clean run. I ordered a glass jar and when plastic showed up I figured oh well what's the worst that could happen? Mine cracked like yours on its second use.

No worries, gave me a great excuse to build a parrot!!!
But what the heck do I know.....I am still learning.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

StillLearning1 wrote:Same thing happened to me clean run. I ordered a glass jar and when plastic showed up I figured oh well what's the worst that could happen? Mine cracked like yours on its second use.

:thumbup: Prolly built it cheaper and got more satisfaction , too . When I got forced into shutting down a few months ago I placed my parrot on a curio shelf in the living room . When I get questioned about it I explain that it is an antique vessel for checking specific gravity of salt brine and sugar syrups for food preservation . Some folks are so bumfuzzled that they ask no more questions . The better informed admire the hand hammered artistry of the 'antique' kitchen device I have had the good fortune to acquire .................
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
CleanRun
Novice

Post by CleanRun »

Lol, I too built a Parrot! Prob is... I built it for the reflux column but not the standard lyne. :problem: Guess I should fix that issue.

In the end, unless I have a stand-alone parrot (talk like a pirate day, matey!) on me shoulder to assist in proofing out my distillate, I'll still need a hydrometer flask/jar. Went looking for one today. No joy: all were plastic. Guess I'll be ordering online to get a nice glass product. Na ja...

CR
Terminal Gravity: After tasting each and every cut, the speed at which the newly drunken distiller falls from his chair and strikes the floor...
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

Truckinbutch wrote:
StillLearning1 wrote:Same thing happened to me clean run. I ordered a glass jar and when plastic showed up I figured oh well what's the worst that could happen? Mine cracked like yours on its second use.

:thumbup: Prolly built it cheaper and got more satisfaction , too . When I got forced into shutting down a few months ago I placed my parrot on a curio shelf in the living room . When I get questioned about it I explain that it is an antique vessel for checking specific gravity of salt brine and sugar syrups for food preservation . Some folks are so bumfuzzled that they ask no more questions . The better informed admire the hand hammered artistry of the 'antique' kitchen device I have had the good fortune to acquire .................
Yup! I've got about $15 in it so far. All I need to do is build a base now. That will be this weekend hopefully.

The pride I have in this thing is overwhelming!

A few months ago I had never soldered and now I can make something that looks like high dollar art. I love this hobby. It consumes me!
But what the heck do I know.....I am still learning.
CleanRun
Novice

Post by CleanRun »

When I got forced into shutting down a few months ago...
Truckinbutch, you might just be my new hero. Any person of "good standing" that's faced JohnnyLaw over this craft that, if not for BS Taxation reasons (read: revenuers), would otherwise be legal... I mean, with everything else the popo can focus their extensive attention on, Artisanal MicroDistillers crafting for their own consumption should be at the very, very, very LAST (if ever) of their respective lists. Just say'n.

Fly that parrot proudly!

CR
Prospekt
Novice

Post by Prospekt »

CleanRum, If you haven't ordered your glass hydrometer yet, I suggest going for a glass graduated cylinder (100ml worked for me). You can get them as cheap testing jars, and you get the added benefit of being able to measure your distillate rate, or simply must measure out your product easier.

Sadly, i dropped mine on concrete the first day I used it. :thumbdown: ...didn't want to wait for a new one, so i ended up buying a glass testing jar at the home brew shop again.
Learn from yesterday, live for today.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

polycarbonate is incompatible with ethanol. It 'crazes', basically gets very brittle and fills with tiny cracks and crumbles apart. Its happened to most of us. I had a racking cane I used once to pull some hooch out of a barrel. Next time I picked it up weeks later it crumbled in my hand. Bought a glass wine thief for tasting now, and harvesting from the barrel means tipping it into a stainless pot. Its one of the 'rules' listed in the welcome center that many of us learned the hard way.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

Be careful with your glass as well, never dropped or banged kept it in a plastic case, it's slowly just coming off in pieces bit by bit.
Attachments
image.jpg
Everything's better home made, everything!!
15.5 keg 7.75keg 2"pot still, Gold CM
Never look down on a man unless it's to help him up.
CleanRun
Novice

Post by CleanRun »

I'm not sure where others are purchasing their glassware, but... After a morning of calls and researching I've found the folks at Home Science Tools (http://www.hometrainingtools.com/gradua ... E-CYGL100/) to be very helpful (Are we allowed to plug a non-distilling site? Hope so...) I ordered a brace of the "thermally-stable borosilicate glass" 100 ml graduated cylinders. They're the same size as my newly defunct (read: CRACKED) polycarb cylinder.

Alas, please don't lament its passing! My 13 yr old "breathed new life" into it as a 100 yd target for his Air Force Condor .22 cal pellet rifle and its now resting comfortably in the recycling bin; no doubt to come back as a gallon jug, a pop bottle, or wotnot. :thumbup:

Jimbo, dang if I didn't read that 10 times only to not have it sink in... :oops:

CR
sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sltm1 »

The only plastic I use is a plastic measuring cup to pour into a plastic tube to measure abv after a ferment....less than a 30 second exposure and never had anything negative happen. However years ago my brother brought back some "scrumpy" (a higher abv by-product from cider I think), from England and all you could taste was plastic, and these containers were reused off the shelf alcohol bottles. Never store anything in plastic you want to pass through your lips.
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
Every new member should read this before doing anything else: