thermometer placement when using a thumper

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

sploke
Novice

thermometer placement when using a thumper

Post by sploke »

I'm working on the design for my first pot still. I have a 20qt stainless stockpot, and I want to use a 1gal thumper. First of all, its a 1gal glass wine jug. How should I seal this? I was originally going to use a rubber cork with some holes drilled in it, but it seems like maybe the rubber isn't a good idea. Other ideas?

Next, I'm a bit confused about the thermometer placement. Since I should stop collecting at a given temp, should that temp be in the still or in the thumper? I feel like if I stop when the still hits X degrees, there will still be a fair amount of usable alcohol left in the thumper. Should I put the thermometer in the thumper, use a second one, or at whatever temp just use another container and use it as tails?
DixieBanjo
Novice

Post by DixieBanjo »

my advise is to forget about the thermometers,and if you must use a jug for the thumper use a real cork for the seal.But a better idea would be to use a one gallon mason jar as the thumper.
Longhairedcountryboy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Longhairedcountryboy »

I used a thumper for a while when I first started. My thermometer was in the thumper. I got rid of it and haven't missed it at all. I would recommend not using one. It is more of a pain than its worth. It didn't really make that much difference in proof or quality and it took a lot longer to get up to temp. A fast stripping run and a slow spirit run works much better.
TRANSPLANTED HILLBILLY
Rumrunner

Post by TRANSPLANTED HILLBILLY »

If you wanna use a thumper,you could use an alcometer and your taste buds to determine your cuts. temp isnt as important with a thumper rig.
But LHCB has the experience with them.
If it was easy everybody would do it.

Please join the Partnership For an Idiot Free World.
Longhairedcountryboy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Longhairedcountryboy »

I liked having a thermometer when I was first learning. I agree that they are not necessary in a pot still. I have one on mine so I can stop the stripping run at a certan temp at a glance, but that can be done by other methods (taste, smell, alcoholometer, ect.).