Peach brandy

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Tater
Admin

Peach brandy

Post by Tater »

Fella gave me 12 bushels of peaches.Gonna take a 55 gallon drum and make me a batch of pure brandy .Figure ill have to double run and with a 50 gallon wash should get around 3 gallons finished product if all goes well.
Last edited by Tater on Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Uncle Remus
Trainee

Post by Uncle Remus »

You gonna go the purist route and just use peaches Tater? If you kick in 20 or 30 lbs of sugar you ought to get more than 3 gallons?
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer.
CAMEL_Joe
Novice

Post by CAMEL_Joe »

lucky you
wish a fella gave me 12 bushels of peaches :D

I'm with UR ad some sugar, can never have to much

good luck!
Give me an inch I'll take a mile...
if I can make wine I'm making shine!!!
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Yep gonna go sugarless this batch being they was free only thing Ill have in it is time and propane.Been a while since Ive made any brandy.But your right about the sugar coulda added 60 lbs sugar and got around 9 gallons outta run.Only took six bushels to fill the drum I gave copperhead around 4 bushels had six more bushels in freezer allready and put 2 bushels left in freezer for a total of 8 for other adventures.
absinthe
Rumrunner

Post by absinthe »

your gonna take the stones out? i made a plum wine once, left the stones in and MAN it was bad, i tried distilling it and it was still bad lol
Whiskey, the most popular of the cold cures that don't work (Leonard Rossiter)
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

I ferment and distill pulp only.
furball
Novice

Post by furball »

When I did the peach brandy last year I used a bushel of peaches for a 10gal batch with about 12-15lbs of sugar. I left about a dozen or so of the stone in during the ferment, but used only the pulp and wash in the still.
There was a slight bitterness from the stone that carried over that was kind of pleasant, and it gave a peach after taste on the tounge. Son in law placed some dehydrated peach he bought at the grocery store and it gave some good color as well as some extra flavor. His dad was a 'shiner from way back and he gave it the thumbs up.
Peach season last until labor day? I am due to travel down to his neck of the woods in south west part of Va around that time and was hoping to bring home about 2 bushels.

Furball
copperhead
Swill Maker

Post by copperhead »

I got 2 bushel of em bubbeling rite along 20lb suger per bushel. hopefully i'll get 2 1/2 to 3gal per bushel they really smell good. i'v got got a 2gal oak barrel soaking.its been uesed one time this is my first time uesing fruit if it turns out good i may put the brandy in it.thanks again for the peaches tater.we'll enjoy em :lol:
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

:) No problem we'll sample each others wares,
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Up date on peaches was warm and peaches ferminted out in 6 days.Divided into 4 runs and kept 21/2 gallons from each run.Reran this and got 4 gallons 90 proof 1 more run will be the charm hope to get it done this weekend. :)
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Ran peaches for 3rd time today ended up with 3 gallons after tempering to 100 proof. For all the work it took to get I"ll have to keep it back for sippin on special occassions.
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

you usein a metal 55 gal drum
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

no
AfricaUnite
Swill Maker

Post by AfricaUnite »

Tater if I were a woman, or gay, I'd marry you in a second. That must be some wicked brandy, the temptation to use sugar is always too much for me. Im small potatoes to your 55 gallon drums. Love your posts!
Farmer John
Novice

Re: Peach brandy

Post by Farmer John »

How did this 2006 peach brandy turn out?
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Very good.Been keeping it back for special occasions got about 1/2 gallon left.If I get any peaches this year will make another batch.
DamianRyan
Bootlegger

Post by DamianRyan »

Damian a novice distiller here.
Wow! this is interesting,I have 4 massive peach trees on my property and could'nt use the fruit this year as I was too late too spray them as I just bought the place.Next year I'll give this a try.I'm a novice distiller you can see pics of what I got on "not another new distiller".
Hillbilly Rebel
Swill Maker

Post by Hillbilly Rebel »

Tater, Copperhead, since one of you used sugar in your wash and one did not and how you guys know each other and shared the peaches, and no doubt, a sip or two of each others product, how about giving us a comparison of the technique and of the taste of the peach brandy you guys made with and without sugar?
buzz_333
Novice

Post by buzz_333 »

Bumping this back up as I too would like to know y'alls opinions with and without sugar!!! :D

btw, I'm new here and to the hobby but I have read so much I feel like I fit right in here!!! 8)
Hutch-
Novice

Post by Hutch- »

I think it all depends on the sugar. Recently ran a pear wash, adding 30 lbs. of sugar to 40 gal. of crushed pears. Had no adverse affect on the flavor or harshness.

Go to heavy on the sugar you've got a sugar wash with peaches for a little flavor and a nutrient. Added a little sugar and its still a peach brandy in my book. Not much sugar content in peaches, I'd think you'd want to kick it up a bit considering all the work.
cigarBum
Novice

Post by cigarBum »

Can this be scaled back to a 5 or 6 gal wash, I don't have any really big containers?

CigarBum
mcdiver
Novice

Post by mcdiver »

As the peach shine is one of my favorites, I would like to ask a few questions:

I was considering using a corn/sugar wash then running a reflux still and soaking in canned peaches for while. has anyone done this and how did it turn out?

If you use the peaches to make the wash, then run through a reflux still, does the flavor carry over?

Can anyone provide a recipe for a peach product? I recently received 2 32l fermenting barrels from the brewhaus and some vodka yeast.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

if you want to add peach flavor you can do that.id look over "pantie dropper" you can pretty well go by the instructions.
you could just "cut" with the canned peaches juice and all.
to make a wash you need a lot of fruit,the more the more flavor.if it was canned with sugar,most likely you would not have to add any.if it was not then add enough sugar to bring SG to 7% or there about.i believe it would be expensive doing a was with canned.
and you would need to "detune" a reflux for flavor and keep % below 80.I usually run fruit off in one slow run at or about what I want
to age/drink at.
rtalbigr
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rtalbigr »

Tater, a question: Do you use pectinase with your fruit mashes?

Big R
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." William Pitt
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Nope I
just puree the the peaches and ferment.
rtalbigr
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rtalbigr »

Thx Tater. Just wonderin'. I don't either but I've read articles that recommend it.

Big R
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." William Pitt
Rebelboi
Novice

Post by Rebelboi »

cigarBum wrote:Can this be scaled back to a 5 or 6 gal wash, I don't have any really big containers?

CigarBum
Id like to second that question.. Is there a clear-cut recipe for peach brandy anywhere?
Give a man a bottle of whiskey and he will drink for a day. Give a man the knowledge to make a bottle of whiskey and he will drink for a lifetime.
rtalbigr
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rtalbigr »

I did two 5 gal washes this past fall. Put about 18#s peaches in each. Let your peaches get to the point where they are really soft, just before they start turning brown. I throw mine in a blender and mash 'em up really good. I had to add some sugar because they weren't very sweet, not very good peaches, but they were cheap. I've read some people throw in some of the pits but I don't. Anyway, pitch some yeast and you're good to go. I used distiller yeast but next time will try with some bakers or wine yeast.The worst part is separating off the wort; it's all real mushy. Give it time to settle is best. From 10 gal of mash I ended up with about 3 qts @ 70%abv. I aged for two months on plain oak (no roast or char) then cut it down to 50%abv and will continuing aging for a good while. Samples have been very good!

Big R
Rebelboi
Novice

Post by Rebelboi »

rtalbigr wrote:From 10 gal of mash I ended up with about 3 qts @ 70%abv. Big R
Ahh Thanks for that info. That doesnt seem like alot of brandy from 10 gallons of wash though?
Give a man a bottle of whiskey and he will drink for a day. Give a man the knowledge to make a bottle of whiskey and he will drink for a lifetime.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Doing peaches with no added sugar wont make much .I only attempt making pure brandy when I got enough to fill a 55 gallon barrel with 50 gallons .