amaretto

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

knuklehead
Rumrunner

Post by knuklehead »

AMARETTO

1 cup water
1 cup granulated sugar
½ cup brown sugar
2 cups vodka
2 tablespoons almond extract
2 teaspoons vanilla

Combine water and sugars in a saucepan over
Medium heat. Heat until boiling, and all
Sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and let
Mixture cool for about 10 minutes. Add vodka,
almond extract and vanilla. Store in a sealed bottle.
Makes 3 cups.
... I say God bless you, I don't say bless you ... I am not the Lord, I can't do that ...
Dane Cook
Dr. Lector
Novice

Post by Dr. Lector »

I have used the same recipe that knucklehead posted and can say it is very good. Mine was a little light in color but the taste was right on . would fool anyone.
To each his own
knuklehead
Rumrunner

Post by knuklehead »

Dr. Lector wrote:I have used the same recipe that knucklehead posted and can say it is very good. Mine was a little light in color but the taste was right on . would fool anyone.
I've had people comment that it is much better then Di Saronno. How was your's a little light in color, mine always comes out a nice golden brown from the brown sugar. If you want it darker then try using less white and more brown sugar. I guess light in color really depends on what you are comparing it to.
... I say God bless you, I don't say bless you ... I am not the Lord, I can't do that ...
Dane Cook
Uncle Remus
Trainee

Post by Uncle Remus »

Colour might depend on the type of brown sugar you used too. Demerra sugar is very dark brown compared to regular brown sugar. Sounds like a good recipe I'm gonna give it a try.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer.
Dr. Lector
Novice

Post by Dr. Lector »

Mine was a golden brown also. I was compairing it to the bottle that the Mrs. had. It was Amaretto di Amore and had a very dark brown color. Not sure what kind of brown sugar it was ....whatever the Mrs. had . I used 50 abv. netural spirit. Very good and very easy to make.
To each his own
canadianmoonshiner
Swill Maker

Post by canadianmoonshiner »

Here is my recipe. It turned out reaaly nice:

Amaretto 30% for 750ml (26oz)

75g dried apricots (13)
250ml water (to start)
250g white sugar
15ml pure almond extract
8ml pure vanilla extract
3.5g glycerine
3 drops red food color
1 drop blue food color
244g xx rum @ 79% (861g/L)

Bring apricots, sugar & water to a boil & cook over medium heat 30 minutes.
Strain over rum and almond extract in 750ml bottle. Add more water to apricots & cook another 10 minutes. Repeat until topped up.
Canadian Moonshiner
Rotgut
Bootlegger

Post by Rotgut »

i just tried the one that knucklehead posted ive never had amaretto but this takes very good
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

I just tried knuklehead's recipe (changed it to 1 1/4 C dark brown and 1/4 C refined sugar), but other than that, kept what he had.

This makes a VERY dark, sweet amaretto. Well enjoyed.

Does this drink get better with any aging, or just consume this fine stuff as it is?

Thanks, H.
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

Ive been making some too,and heres what I use for a 1/2 gallon.
4 cans of aprocots
1 cup of brown sugar
1 oz of almond extract
1/2 oz of vanilla
A quart of 140 proof double potstilled neutral hearts
Leave it for a month,or longer,and drain it through a coffee filter.
The color isnt the same,but its better then the commercial stuff by a mile.
I have also done this with peaches,and added a few oz of corn likker to it.
Theres just something about the taste of peaches and corn.
Liqueur Lover
Novice

Post by Liqueur Lover »

Just wanted to point something out... the recipe above is saying to add alcohol to a pot full of sugar syrup that has been cooling off from a boil for a mere 10 minutes..!? I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I think that that is not enough time for it to not still be quite hot, and we all know what happens if you add alcohol into a hot liquid.

I would wait until the syrup is room temp before adding the alcohol.
big worm
Trainee

Re: amaretto

Post by big worm »

changed to 1cup dbs 1/2 cup rs wife says its a go. shes pleased with you guy on the site :lol:
GOT BAIT?
small children left unatended will be sold as bait
shawnboy101
Novice

Post by shawnboy101 »

I have tried the recipe posted by knuklehead. This was my first attempt at anything other than whiskey. It was a little light in color, but everyone loved it!!! Thanks for the great recipe. This early success has served to swell my head... :D
T-type
Bootlegger

Post by T-type »

I love this recipe i use more brown sugar then white. color is right on when using dark brown sugar. and it beats store bought anyday with a nice neutral.
SuperDavid
Swill Maker

Post by SuperDavid »

I just made a batch...the knuklehead batch of amaretto and it's great!!!
I used dark brown sugar and I couldn't find almond extract so I used almond essence...not sure if it's the same...but I used the same quantity of essence and it tastes just fine!
I can see that this will be a popular one with the friends!
alkoholics
Novice

Post by alkoholics »

i used the knucklehead recipe and say its fantastic, i did one change reversed the sugar so i added more brown than white and also used the dark brown sugar, my bros couldnt tell the difference from store bought and mine HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY
Ain't No Party Like An Alkoholics Party
Neutral
Novice

Re:

Post by Neutral »

Liqueur Lover wrote:I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I think that that is not enough time for it to not still be quite hot, and we all know what happens if you add alcohol into a hot liquid.
Hi, please excuse my ignornace but what does happen when you add alcohol to a hot liquid?

Btw i have tried to search but was ignored as all words were too common
“When we drink, we get drunk. When we get drunk, we fall asleep. When we fall asleep, we commit no sin. When we commit no sin, we go to heaven. Sooooo, let's all get drunk and go to heaven!”
SuperDavid
Swill Maker

Post by SuperDavid »

if it's too hot the alcohol is going to boil out.
warm should be ok...I figure it helps infuse the ingredients/flavours with the alcohol.
Neutral
Novice

Post by Neutral »

that was a much simpler answer than id expected. I was half expecting someone to come back and say the alcohol forms poisonous compunds. i dont think after the 10mins i waited the temp wouldnt even been nearly high enough to boil alcohol off.

Anyway all in all a great recipe big ups knucklehead :)
“When we drink, we get drunk. When we get drunk, we fall asleep. When we fall asleep, we commit no sin. When we commit no sin, we go to heaven. Sooooo, let's all get drunk and go to heaven!”
schnell
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by schnell »

I made a bottle two weeks ago that came out great!

I made about 2 cups of simple syrup (1:1 water:sugar) and while this was being prepared I soaked a can of apricots in high test spirits. Once the syrup cooled down, I mixed 1 tbl organic almond extract and 1 tsp vanilla with the decanted tinture of apricot and then mixed in the syrup. Then I topped up the bottle to 1 liter.

After a couple weeks the fruit sediment had settled out and left me a nice clear ammaretto.

Good with espresso for breakfast on the weekends.
dixiegurl
Novice

Post by dixiegurl »

With the knucklehead receipe...it says 2 cups of spirits...80 proof? or what's the percentage of alcohol. Should it be cut?
Thanks!
big worm
Trainee

Post by big worm »

having made this one several times i can say i found that the vanila you use will make or break it. i use madagasgar vanila for my beverage needs i just find it to be better. watkins makes a good extract.
jmho
GOT BAIT?
Cornbread
Swill Maker
Location: I age it in the woods & bottle it in the barn. Why do ya wanna know?

Post by Cornbread »

I want to try the world famous Knucklehead recipe, but wanted to ask one question.........Should I use a thickening agent to make it a syrupy consistency likw sto-bought?
Moonshine ain't nothing but lots of love and goodness distilled into liquid. It will love you like a big woman wearing a straw hat
AquaVitae
Novice

Post by AquaVitae »

You shouldn't have to i made this recipe just last week except i used all brown sugar to give it a darker color and heavier taste, it turned very well, if you wanted to make it thicker just add more sugar but thatll make it sweeter as well,
I beleive there is a reason the ancients frequently referred to it, in thier respective languages, as the water of life.

The Sherf lives just down the road from me...
Cornbread
Swill Maker

Post by Cornbread »

Thank you so much........
Moonshine ain't nothing but lots of love and goodness distilled into liquid. It will love you like a big woman wearing a straw hat
kiwistiller
retired

Post by kiwistiller »

you can add glucose syrup to thicken without sweetening.
Three sheets to the wind!
My stuff
Cornbread
Swill Maker

Post by Cornbread »

kiwistiller wrote:you can add glucose syrup to thicken without sweetening.

where do you purchase glucose syrup ..brew store? - grocery store? Thanks :?:
kiwistiller
retired

Post by kiwistiller »

either, for me. it's cheaper at the grocery store though.
Three sheets to the wind!
My stuff
big worm
Trainee

Post by big worm »

i use dark brown sugar and i go with the total amount of both sugars combined....only equal parts of each, its flawless stuff i just dont think you can ball this one up as long as you stay fairly close. use good vanilia
GOT BAIT?
mrjulius
Novice

Post by mrjulius »

Great simple recipe. I used 55%abv. Followed exactly Knuckleheads. I'm about to make a couple gallons of this stuff. Good party drink, anyone asks, just some amaretto I found ;-).
adanac58
Bootlegger

Post by adanac58 »

this recipie turned out great , accept i used all dark brown sugar and since my local grocery store didnt have almond extract so i got 100grams of almonds smashed em and boiled the crap out of them , used that liquid . i just gotta shake it up everytime i take a drink cause the almond oils seperate from the water/alcohol mixture , oh yeah and i used grappa cause thats all i had but it still turned out good :)
brewhaus standard 5 gallon stainless steel pot still.