adding heads

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

dyerwolf
Novice

adding heads

Post by dyerwolf »

After doing a beer stripping run, what is the purpose of adding heads and tails.

Is it to make the cuts for the spitit run easier?

Does it contribute to the flavor in the end?
CoopsOz
Distiller

Post by CoopsOz »

Only add the tails, the heads go into a big container until you have got enough to run through a reflux (after treating with bi-carb).

The purpose of adding the tails is because there is still alot of EtOH in there, remember that you stop collecting your drinking run at about 50% (depending on what you are running, it might even be earlier than that).
It is most absurdly said, in popular language, of any man, that he is disguised in liquor; for, on the contrary, most men are disguised by sobriety. ~Thomas de Quincy, Confessions of an English Opium-Eater, 1856
manu de hanoi
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by manu de hanoi »

sometimes heads have a nice perfume you'd like to keep.
Usge
retired

Post by Usge »

This is the first I've ever heard to add only "tails" to your strip runs to try and extract more ethanol from it. It doesn't make sense either..given the heads generally have higher abv than tails do (as tails are closer to water as they go).

Most of the information I've read from here (and elsewhere) suggest to save both heads and tails (as feints) for another strip run. I'm not saying you are wrong coopz. Just that it's the first I've heard it that way.

Beyond that, one could do it anyway they prefer...as to personal preference. I know some here who suggest they like to always do cuts..even on strip runs..because it makes their cuts run better/easier.

So, to each their own I guess.
Tater
Admin

Re: adding heads

Post by Tater »

dyerwolf wrote:After doing a beer stripping run, what is the purpose of adding heads and tails.

Is it to make the cuts for the spitit run easier?

Does it contribute to the flavor in the end?
Not sure what your asking.Most don't make any cuts on stripping runs .Cuts Are usually done on second run.Fore shots and early heads are removed as is bottom end of tails. tails.Fore shots are discarded and early heads and late tails are kept to add to next run or saved and reran with more of the same.Reason I use word early and late is some of each heads and tails are left in product to archive a taste thats pleasing to producer in grain and fruit pot stilled products.I mostly single run and I toss both fore shots and heads Ive cut and only save tails to add to my next run.When I double run I make cuts on both runs .
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
CoopsOz
Distiller

Post by CoopsOz »

It doesn't make sense either..given the heads generally have higher abv than tails do (as tails are closer to water as they go).
Agreed, but they also have a sweet undesirable smell/taste that I don't want in my whiskey.

Just to clarify, I make no cuts whatsoever on my strip runs. I just reduce it to about 1/5 it's original volume. When I have enough, I throw it in the kettle along with the tails from my last spirit run.
It is most absurdly said, in popular language, of any man, that he is disguised in liquor; for, on the contrary, most men are disguised by sobriety. ~Thomas de Quincy, Confessions of an English Opium-Eater, 1856