What funnels do you use?

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

RadicalEd1
Bootlegger

What funnels do you use?

Post by RadicalEd1 »

Pretty much as the title says. I know that for the most part high ABV and plastic don't mix, but I know people are out there using funnels for filtering through coffee filters and such. Since I can't recall ever seeing a metal funnel, what do you guys use? Or is contact time with the funnel low enough to just call plastic good enough?
Rudi
Rumrunner

Post by Rudi »

I use a stainless steel one I got from the cooking section of David Jones
I have also seen copper funnels
Such is life
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

Stainless steel from a catering suppliers.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

I have a small glass lab one for filtering ect.

Just got the apprentice at work to roll me up a copper sheet one. It's 6" at the top and 3/4 at the neck, so should be good for transfering from kegs etc.
p_su
Novice

Post by p_su »

I found a stainless steel one from a restaurant supply store... they had several sizes available in the bar/mixer area. I think (not 100% sure tho) that K-mart might carry one in their home section.
CoopsOz
Distiller

Post by CoopsOz »

Stainless from a kitchen supply shop, only $10 bucks. I looked for ages prior to finding it though.
It is most absurdly said, in popular language, of any man, that he is disguised in liquor; for, on the contrary, most men are disguised by sobriety. ~Thomas de Quincy, Confessions of an English Opium-Eater, 1856
frikz
Novice

Post by frikz »

Didn't know they use stainless ones in kitchens, will get me one too. thanks!
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

funnels

Post by Uncle Jesse »

I've got a copper one and a stainless steel one. Went out of my way to find them.
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
rambozo777
Novice

Post by rambozo777 »

well i just used my tile saw and cut the top off of a wine bottle. its cheap and i think the glass is pretty.
RadicalEd1
Bootlegger

Post by RadicalEd1 »

Thanks for the replies, fellas!

I have a GFS in the area; I'll see if I can make it over there and see if they have any decent funnels. They also have molasses (overpriced) and honey (very reasonably priced) so I may need to stock up :D.
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

rambozo777 wrote:well i just used my tile saw and cut the top off of a wine bottle. its cheap and i think the glass is pretty.
I have used the cut off bottle also. Works like a charm, except for the size of the neck. I think I will look for a bottle that has a narrow neck next time. But I did the same thing. Used a tile saw, and made my own. Also used ox/acc torch to "carefully" smooth the top rim.

H.
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

hmm

Post by Uncle Jesse »

Husker wrote:
rambozo777 wrote:well i just used my tile saw and cut the top off of a wine bottle. its cheap and i think the glass is pretty.
I have used the cut off bottle also. Works like a charm, except for the size of the neck. I think I will look for a bottle that has a narrow neck next time. But I did the same thing. Used a tile saw, and made my own. Also used ox/acc torch to "carefully" smooth the top rim.

H.
how? rosebud or normal tip? oxydizing flame?
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
grainhopper
Swill Maker

Post by grainhopper »

I made a small funnel with some scrap laying around. I use it to fill bottles.

funnel.jpg
Read Please, Try it, Learn!
grainhopper
Swill Maker

Post by grainhopper »

I decided I'd buy this from Acadamy Sports for $6.
Attachments
funnel2.jpg
funnel2.jpg (8.7 KiB) Viewed 2785 times
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

Damn it, that is exactly the same one I got. :!:
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
arkansas
Bootlegger

Re: hmm

Post by arkansas »

Uncle Jesse wrote:
Husker wrote:

H.
how? rosebud or normal tip? oxydizing flame?
I too would like to hear alittle more on this, have all the tools and bottles should not be to hard to come by, tile saw with water?, torch used how? could I put the whole bottle in a forge and draw it down to a smaller neck? I don't mean to ask so much, but I know steel fairly well, but nothing about glass other than it breaks when in my presents.
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

HookLine wrote:Damn it, that is exactly the same one I got. :!:

Where you git dat from, Willis??? :?:

Need an aussie supplier for that sucker.
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

punkin wrote:
HookLine wrote:Damn it, that is exactly the same one I got. :!:

Where you git dat from, Willis??? :?:

Need an aussie supplier for that sucker.
Local catering suppliers. Individual small business, not a chain store. Cost $15 if I recall correctly.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

Righto, will look around
Rudi
Rumrunner

Post by Rudi »

Got one exactly the same from David Jones I got ripped off though :evil:
Such is life
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

Rudi wrote:Got one exactly the same from David Jones I got ripped off though :evil:
That be what happens when you deal with them there scurvy dogs at Davy Jones. Pick you cleaner than a trysail in a gale, then send you down to the locker. Aaarrhh.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
grainhopper
Swill Maker

Post by grainhopper »

HookLine wrote:
Rudi wrote:Got one exactly the same from David Jones I got ripped off though :evil:
That be what happens when you deal with them there scurvy dogs at Davy Jones. Pick you cleaner than a trysail in a gale, then send you down to the locker. Aaarrhh.
Hook did you want to be a Pirate mate, when you were a wee lad. :D
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

I never had no childhood. I been swabbing decks from the day I was weaned. Now haul that mainsail and load them canons, we got some pirating to do! Aaaaaaarrrrrhhh!

(Doctor's Note: Mr Hook has been a naughty boy and has not been taking his anti-pirate medicine. He has just been forcefully given a large dose, and keelhauled. Normal service will be resumed shortly.)
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
bushido
Swill Maker

Post by bushido »

I use glass thistle tubes. I can pretty much tell you the % just by watching the bubbles now! that's when you know you just have too much time on your hands :roll:
Pikluk
Swill Maker

Post by Pikluk »

if you can't find stainless/copper funnel at decent price.
you can check ebay for a pyrex funnel often theres good deals.
even if its used pyrex can always be cleaned"acetone will do the trick
for pretty much anything" and pyrex is strong, i got one for years and
even dropped it once from 3-4' on cement it does have a crack since but still work like a charm.
i haven't seen big ones tho.

http://listings.ebay.com/_W0QQsocmdZLis ... age=search" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

edit pyrex is a brand name i meant borosilicate glass.
The more you read the more you learn.
The more you learn the more you realize you don't know shit :)
MORGAN
Novice

Funnel

Post by MORGAN »

Try this. Find a 4-5 inch stainless bowl. I find them at the flea markets. Drill a half inch hole in the bottom. Cut three inches of that tube that was hanging on the valve you removed from the keg you're using for a boiler. Silver solder this to the bowl and you've got a very nice funnel. a standard coffee filter fits very nicely. Also a piece of stainless screen wire cut to fit the bottom of the bowl allows better flow. You may have trouble finding a piece of stainless screen wire. Pm me and I'll mail you a piece. Works for me. Morgan
new_moonshiner
Trainee

Post by new_moonshiner »

borosilicate glass
schnell
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by schnell »

i also have that stainless funnel with the removable insert. i think i paid $6. i also have a few small stainless funnels that are suitable for filling bottles when i make small batches of cordials and liquors.

has anyone ever made a large buchner funnel?

or a table top funnel? (kinda similar to a mash tun really)

i'd like to make something i can dump a bucket of soaked fruit into. i was thinking about the mixing bowl and a sink flange then soldering in a filter support like a perforated plate. i'd like to be able to lay a coffee filter flat on the support and be able to use filter aide (cellite or diatomaceous earth) and also maybe help pull the filtrate through the filter with a vacuum.

everytime i do the strawberry soaking thing i have this filter cloggin mush that makes it take forever to filter with gravity. and when the ladies are waiting, you want to hurry...