Want to make flavored moonshine, help pleeeease.

Putting older posts here. Going to try to keep the novice forum pruned about 90 days work. The 'good' old stuff is going to be put into appropriate forums.

Moderator: Site Moderator

barrelcreator
Novice

Want to make flavored moonshine, help pleeeease.

Post by barrelcreator »

I want to make mandarin orange moonshine. My question is if I know what flavor I am going to add after distilling is it better to do the mash with say mandarin oranges to pick up any slight odor in the alcohol so when I distill it, it has a bit of the flavor I am trying to acheive or is it better to start with a completely neutral spirit and then flavor it accordingly? Thanks in advance. :D
grainhopper
Swill Maker

Post by grainhopper »

Hey B.C.,

You should read up a lil this is the second post in a row that I have read where the question you ask is fairly easy if you put forth some effort.

If you would go to recipes you would find the answer to this post pretty easy.
Read Please, Try it, Learn!
barrelcreator
Novice

Post by barrelcreator »

Got a title of the post for me in the recipes forum? I couldnt find anything. Ive spent over an hour reading. Nothing that answers my questions exactly. Im a veteran to forums... I wont post unless I have to and I won't leave worthless or rude posts or replys.
Aidas
Rumrunner

Post by Aidas »

barrelcreator wrote:Got a title of the post for me in the recipes forum? I couldnt find anything. Ive spent over an hour reading. Nothing that answers my questions exactly. Im a veteran to forums... I wont post unless I have to and I won't leave worthless or rude posts or replys.
:lol: :lol:

Over an hour?! Wow! That's big of you... There's probably several weeks worth of reading just on the parent site, and I'm not even going to go into the amount of info in the forums.

Really... an hour. Please. :roll:

Aidas

P.S. Just so no one can say that I'm not being helpful, these should get you on your way:

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... or+flavour

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... or+flavour

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... ring+vodka
Last edited by Aidas on Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nisi te iuvat cibus, plus bibe vini!
barrelcreator
Novice

Post by barrelcreator »

an hour in the recipe area looking for my exact answer. Over 100 hours in the last two weeks trying to get into the hobby. Man you guys drink too much tonight?? If you dont want to help then dont reply...... :cry: Aidas, thanks for the links
Last edited by barrelcreator on Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aidas
Rumrunner

Post by Aidas »

barrelcreator wrote: Man you guys drink too much tonight :cry:
Actually, it's morning where I am, and I'm not drinking, nor did I last night. :)

I just know how to use the search function, and have the capacity for cognitive thinking to come up with normal search strings. ;)

Aidas
pintoshine
Distiller

Post by pintoshine »

thicken your skin up a bit. Maybe we don't know because we never thought of that. When you figure it out let us know. Or better yet you will be the expert and you tell the next one that asks the question. Again and again and again and again :lol: :lol: :lol:
barrelcreator
Novice

Post by barrelcreator »

I dont know how to take that......... Anyway through all this junk your links did help a lot so I must thank you.
Aidas
Rumrunner

Post by Aidas »

barrelcreator wrote:I dont know how to take that......... Anyway through all this junk your links did help a lot so I must thank you.
If you feel you "must", don't bother... a thank you out of duty, rather than a genuine thank you is worthless.

Enjoy the forum, learn to use the search function, and you'll have a much easier time. (I'm being especially nice, because it is Christmas, after all :) )

Best,

Aidas
barrelcreator
Novice

Post by barrelcreator »

it was genuine.......cheers
Safegyde
Novice

Post by Safegyde »

I understand where he is coming from...reading and not finding the answers. I have been reading for about 2 and a half months now for about 5 hours each day (I work really hard at work, huh? :P ) The search function is great but you can't search for a complete sentence to narrow your search down. If you enter oranges, wash, flavoring, before distilling, or after you will come up with 410237417 topics with those words but not all together in a single sentence. Maybe there is a searching trick I don't know about, if so then please enlighten us all so we can make the feature even more useful. Maybe we can get that type of search added..?

Peace all. Merry Christmas.
Shine on you crazy diamonds!!
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

Hmmmmm. I've been reading for some five or six years and still often go back to read the same stuff again and again and again. All the answers are there. Sure it seems easier to just ask, but what does one learn? Bugger all!!

By constant reading we reinforce stuff that we had forgotten, not just the problem we are currently baffled by.

I just cannot fathom why this topic ALWAYS arises. There are no easy answers.

blanik
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
grainhopper
Swill Maker

Post by grainhopper »

Sometimes your search will not yeild exactly what you are looking for,
But since orange is a FRUIT.

How about taters fruit macerations:

Here.. http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2196

Oh yeah Merry Christmas.

Wonder what the new year will bring.
Read Please, Try it, Learn!
Grayson_Stewart
retired

Post by Grayson_Stewart »

Just my first thoughts on this....

Lots of mandarin oranges would be used and little flavor would come across when used in a wash and then run, especially when compared to the smaller number of oranges that could be used to soak after a run.

Lots of citrus fruit could make your wash too acidic, would have to look out for that.

Look for recipes for Limoncello, it's made from the very thin zest of the lemons soaked in neutral alcohol for several days.

Merry Christmas, God bless us everyone!
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Ricky
Swill Maker

Post by Ricky »

good to see you back grayson!
Day Late;Dollar Short
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

I sliced two mandarins and put em in a mollasses rum wash of 40 litres.

The flavour came across that clearly, that it took over the profile of the rum. Very strong.

Just try it and see. If that's what you're after, it'll work.
alice
Swill Maker

Post by alice »

punkin wrote:I sliced two mandarins and put em in a mollasses rum wash of 40 litres.

The flavour came across that clearly, that it took over the profile of the rum. Very strong.
Just two mandys in 40 litres? I wouldn't have thought that'd even show up on the palate.

Then again, it's margarita time so I'm that puckered i reckon a goldfish would wave howdy to me...:)
pintoshine
Distiller

Post by pintoshine »

I just wanted to add an update to this request. I was able to spend some time with this fine US Army service man in Korea via IM. I was able to get him going on a cornmeal and cornflake version of UJSM, inspired by Jameson Beam from Home Distillers. He has a vigorous fermentation going after just 5.5 hours after assembly. I am hoping he can keep us updated.
Jameson Beam
Novice
Location: Near the heart of Distillin' in the south of course...

Post by Jameson Beam »

Grayson_Stewart wrote:Just my first thoughts on this....

Lots of mandarin oranges would be used and little flavor would come across when used in a wash and then run, especially when compared to the smaller number of oranges that could be used to soak after a run.

Lots of citrus fruit could make your wash too acidic, would have to look out for that.

Look for recipes for Limoncello, it's made from the very thin zest of the lemons soaked in neutral alcohol for several days.

Merry Christmas, God bless us everyone!
The key word your looking for here is called "maceration" most flavored vodka, Limoncello, brandy, etc. have the flavors macerated by letting the peelings, berries, etc. soak in the distillate for a period of time.

"Maceration is the winemaking process where the phenolic materials of the grape --- tannins, coloring agents (Anthocyanins) and flavor compounds --- are leached from the grape skins, seeds and stems into the wine. The term is usually used in reference to wine, but is sometimes used with other drinks, such as piołunówka and crème de cassis."

However it is also used for flavoring all types of liquors as well.

Stewart is correct - the citrus flavors will come from the peelings (zest) of the oranges or lemons - not the fruit itself.

Just remember to exclude the 'pith' (the thick white stuff which adds bad flavors - use only the skin part).

There is alot of stuff on maceration in Tony's Home Distillers main site.

Vino es Veritas,
Jim.
"To err is Human, To make a fine Whiskey, Divine...."
Randell
Novice

Re:

Post by Randell »

barrelcreator wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:57 pm Got a title of the post for me in the recipes forum? I couldnt find anything. Ive spent over an hour reading. Nothing that answers my questions exactly. Im a veteran to forums... I wont post unless I have to and I won't leave worthless or rude posts or replys.
I been on this side a month and reading every day there nothing easy to find on this site, I have learn a lot but it's just from reading not because I found what I was looking for
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Want to make flavored moonshine, help pleeeease.

Post by Tummydoc »

Not sure resurrecting a 12 year old post will get you far. What are you looking for? Are you using the Google search bar on the site?