stilldrinkin realmccoymoonshinestills rkhelp bluegrassmoonsh

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Kevin Lunsford
Novice

stilldrinkin.com, realmccoymoonshinestills.com, rkhelp.com

Post by Kevin Lunsford »

:?: I am having a problem getting a refund from stilldrinkin.com-has anyone else had this problem? Rob's phone just rings-is he on vacation?
Thanks,
Kevin
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

I have read other posts from other people who like you, were less than satisfied with the Still Drinkin people.

They seem to make better adds, than stills.

H.
HookLine
retired

Re: stilldrinkin.com

Post by HookLine »

Kevin Lunsford wrote:Rob's phone just rings-is he on vacation?
Maybe, and at your expense it would seem.

Husker and Uncle Jess, it might be worth starting a specific thread on people's (good and bad) experiences with commercial operators, and make it a sticky. Gotta be careful of legal shit though.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
pintoshine
Distiller

Post by pintoshine »

You are not alone.
georgetoddly from yahoo distillers wrote:I ordered my Venom on Sept 5th and they told me it would ship in 3
days. after three days they said 10 days, after ten days they said 15
days, after 15 days they said 20 days, on Oct 5th after several calls
i told them i was done and to just recredit my account... the guy on
the phone refused, i said it's ok my credit card company would get my
money for me, at which point he very obviously did the old "make a
static noise with your voice" and said he was losing me over and over
then hung up on me. Never to be heard from again. Now it is Dec 3rd
and the credit card company has closed the case in my favor. I called
them right after the guy hung up on me and they took my money from
their account immediately, but it takes them 2 months to finalize it.

I'm just updating in the off chance someone else will read this when
they are thinking about buying from www.stilldrinkin.com . These guys
are just a scam, don't waste your time. I got my money back but it
took forever. If you are reading this and your just starting out in
distilling and wondering what to do, start here:
http://homedistiller.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow there is a ton of info there including
reputable places to purchase a still.
alice
Swill Maker

Post by alice »

Husker wrote:I have read other posts from other people who like you, were less than satisfied with the Still Drinkin people.

They seem to make better adds, than stills.

H.
And isn't that a scary thought, given their childish spelling, their lousy grammar and their amaturish layouts?
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

sad

Post by Uncle Jesse »

What a bunch of crooks. Gives the hobby a bad name.
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
a1a66
Novice

Post by a1a66 »

Has anyone had luck getting a refund or a still? I ordered mine at the end of November and have been getting the run around ever since. I spoke with rob he tells me he'll have to check with his dad call between 4 and 5 and you will get a guy buy the name of Mike ( I think is his dad) he's just crazy, tells me all about what Rob is cooking for dinner or how he had to help rob fix his blazer but cannot answer where my Still is. I turned my complaint over to PAY PAL. We'll see what they can make happen. All I wanted was a Still for xmass so I can start a new hobby.
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Yes, I hate to say bad things about others, but the still drinkin folks are NOT good people. I am not sure what you can do to get your still or your money back.

IF you paid for this with a CC (not a debit card, or direct bank transfer) through Paypal, then you CAN get the CC company to do a charge back. You can only do this a few time (at most) a year. The CC companies do monitor that practice closely. However it IS a practice that is done, and done especially for companies/people who do not live up to their end of the contract (and these still drinkin fools are NOT living up to their end of the contract). A CC company should do a charge back for you, if you can provide documentation showing that the still drinkin people really have no intension of making the deal good.

Even if you did use a debit card for Paypal, Paypal "will" go to bat for you, if the seller is not sending the product. It is a little harder to do, but I have had to do it in the past. My kid ordered some "anime" movie crap from some crook in Canada. Again, no ship. We ended up getting about 90% refund from Paypal. Was not everything we paid, but it was a learning experience for him. He has been more careful about internet purchases (such as researching the company prior to spending a dime).

Again, good luck.

H.
a1a66
Novice

Post by a1a66 »

Thanks for the reply. They put on a good front with their website. I was in a hurry and didn't research them enough. I don't expect this to be setteled anytime soon, but I still so I figured I would make one. I am new to this and hae a lot to learn can you point me to a good plan on a reflux still. The one I paid for from Stilldrinkin.com was the Python eletric still. Was this a good one or do you recomend me building something else.
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

Scumbags.

If you got any workshop skills at all you should be able to build yourself a better one, and cheaper, than anything they can offer.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
a1a66
Novice

Post by a1a66 »

I got in a hurry, and was trying to save some time. So now I'm looking for someone to point me to some good proven plans.
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

It is best to not be in a hurry when pursuing this hobby.

H.
a1a66
Novice

Post by a1a66 »

I am finding that out. I just came across this forum so Image it will help.
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

wow

Post by Uncle Jesse »

I think it's pretty obvious we need to spearhead some sort of effort to make folks aware that stilldrinkin.com is run by a bunch of crooks.

Do a search for stilldrinkin.com and you'll see how much time they spend adding their site to advertiser sites and so on. In my opinion an effort to get in, make their money, then get out before anyone realizes they're a bunch of rip-off artists.
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

new wiki page

Post by Uncle Jesse »

someone want to suggest or add links for reputable dealers, and also for instructions for making stills?

http://homedistiller.org/wiki/index.php/Stilldrinkin.com

I want to make a good page so when folks do a web search they'll see this page and get some good info before they get taken by crooks.
pintoshine
Distiller

Post by pintoshine »

In line with your suggestion UJ, not meaning to derail the conversation, but I am currently working on the complete plans for a riveted and soldered, 22.6 L(6 gallon) pot still from a single sheet of 3'x4' copper. The sheets are currently US$182 from McMaster.com.

I will make sure to publish the completed plans and the construction details. I am using the same style as my large stainless steel boiler, cap, and lyne arm. I am constructing this one without a thump keg going to a traditional flake stand also made from the same sheet.

This project is intended as a stove top model, kitchen model. With 5 gallons of wash it should be good for 3/4 to 1.5 gallons depending on the persons wash strength.

I am sure anyone who could build a column, could complete this project. The sheetmetal template is nothing more than a dressmakers style pattern. Simply tape the pages together, tape onto the sheetmetal, and cut around carefully.
I'll keep you posted. Maybe this would be a good wiki instructional document.
CoopsOz
Distiller

Post by CoopsOz »

I'll give it a whirl Pint, although I still haven't found time to build the heating element controller I bought off you a month ago! :D
It is most absurdly said, in popular language, of any man, that he is disguised in liquor; for, on the contrary, most men are disguised by sobriety. ~Thomas de Quincy, Confessions of an English Opium-Eater, 1856
Rudi
Rumrunner

Post by Rudi »

Been thinking about building a copper boiler for a while. Somthing like this
upside down course and with a traditional style cap

http://hbd.org/brewniversity/engineering/conical/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

best I could come up with was AU$234 for a 25G sheet 1.2m by 1.2m bit on the exy side. Got my scrappie on the lookout for an old water heater in good nick to cut up .Till then I'll just drool.I havent touched my controller either too much time reading this bloody forum
Last edited by Rudi on Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Such is life
Whiskey Creek
Novice

Post by Whiskey Creek »

Thanks for posting that stilldrinkin story here pinto I'm the one that wrote it and people reading it and sharing with others is exactly what i wanted. It is posted on this forum somewhere as well. Like my novel said.. i used a credit card so all i did was dispute the charge and the credit card company took care of it. Was more of a hassle than anything. But that is going to be the easiest way for anyone to get their money back if they used a credit card to make their purchase. It is as easy as calling the credit card company and talking to them for less than 5 minutes, they take care of the rest.
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

more

Post by Uncle Jesse »

Turns out these guys used the distiller from Stranahan's distillery in Colorado without his permission and he's trying to track them down as well.
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

more

Post by Uncle Jesse »

Anyone have an address or approximate location for stilldrinkin.com?

Turns out they made some people angry and those people are wondering how to find them.
Husker
retired

Re: more

Post by Husker »

Uncle Jesse wrote:Anyone have an address or approximate location for stilldrinkin.com?

Turns out they made some people angry and those people are wondering how to find them.
248-230-4196 That is Okland county Michigan (borders on Detriot).

I did find this on the "contact page" http://www.stilldrinkin.com/Turbo%20Contact.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Please Note: There are NO RETURNS on any items we sell!

All our stills are hand built! There might be up to a 35 day wait.
We are sorry we are so busy. The wait time will probably be shorter than that. Thank You!

This is all that is left of their forums (guess pissed off customers will take their anger out in many ways)
Our Forums are Down

They have been Hacked.

We will try to have them back up soon.

We are sorry for any inconvenience.

Thank You.

Found this: http://www.aboutus.org/StillDrinkIn.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow From that link I see this:

730 Central Dr
Lake Orion, 48362 USA

The phone number is also listed on that page, so the above address "might" be the place to search. Also, I think the guys name is Rob (but I have no last name).

H.
Last edited by Husker on Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

ok

Post by Uncle Jesse »

It's a start.

Do me a favor folks, scour the wayback and see what we can find about their names, location, contact info.

Maybe I should give the TTB a call about this disreputable "still manufacturer", they might well be interested in this.

http://www.archive.org/web/web.php

pretty slow but there ya go
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

paypal

Post by Uncle Jesse »

Here's the name associated with their paypal account:

robertmstrasburg@hotmail.com

Robert M. Strasburg

more later, I'm too busy to really delve deeply at the moment.
Kevin Lunsford
Novice

Post by Kevin Lunsford »

Thanks for the name. My lawyer wants it.
The last address I have is-
6574 Fruit Ridge Ave.
Alpine Twp (Grand Rapids?) Mi. 49544

Is this what you have? Could be a vacant lot for all I know.
This was a return address I got. How long does Rob think he can get away with selling an illegal product? Unregistered stills are a FELONY to own- 5 years Fed. prison $10,000 fine and lose your still!!! Much less his illegal making and selling of stills on top of that!! ( ATF tille 27, Chap. 1, Part 29) There are NO legal web sites to buy registered stills. If you know of one post it.
Thanks
Bsnapshot
Swill Maker

Post by Bsnapshot »

Yes the address for them is the Fruitridge address. The kids name is Rob Strasburg and the dad is Mike Irwin. Not sure if the last make is spelled right.

I was one of there victims, I order a still from them back in October and after weeks of arguing over the phone with them and them lying to me that is in the mail and then when I said I wanted my money back Mike told me that he has guys in my area that will come over and rip my head off. I just got it this week. But it is a piece of junk. The joints leak
Bsnapshot
Swill Maker

Post by Bsnapshot »

One other thing, If you go to there web sight and click on Members support, you can down load there recipes CD and on that CD is all the information on homedistiller.org
Web sight. They just downloaded it and put it on there cd. They do give Tony’s credit for it.
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

Just gets worse and worse with these guys.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

would get the word out bout them ripin folks off but have you got a permit to make fuel.
i aint tryin to rain on yalls parade but sounds like a woman that called the cops cause someone rip her off for 20 dollars tryin to buy crack.

welcome to bootlegin

ole model t sold some boys 10 cases of brandy an bout
2 days later they come back said they needed there money back cause
of sickness. well model t give it back an start sipin some an somethin wont right. well he called pa an pa called ole doc . he had a tester used to make cough surup. them boys had took it down an added beadin oil.
we all ask ole model t what he gonna do. he said nothin itll come back round. till the day he died he was never caught by no law an maybe only 10 folks noed he cooked. them boys never got another drop from round there.

so im tole
Kevin Lunsford
Novice

Post by Kevin Lunsford »

If you used PayPal and Rob or Paul have not sent your money back, then complain to PayPal. They will put "brokenbranch@stilldrinkin.com" on their FRAUD list for investigation.