Nitrile gasket

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

jdpete
Novice

Nitrile gasket

Post by jdpete »

Anyone know if Nitrile is safe to use for gasket material sealing the column to the boiler?
OldManP
Swill Maker

Post by OldManP »

Mr. Nixon/McCaw says it is in the Compleat Distiller...page 67 paragraph 4. "The best material for a seal or an O-ring is Nitrile, which is enert to ethanol"

Nothing like quoting "the truth" from a published author. Well at least we take it as truth around here 'til someone more knowledgeable than we says so...
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
Bsnapshot
Swill Maker

Post by Bsnapshot »

whear do you find that type of gasket?
BW Redneck
Trainee

Post by BW Redneck »

I still don't like the idea of a rubber-esque gasket, though.

Be warned: Making Pure Corn Whiskey and The Compleat Distiller have both recommended the use of silicone as a gasket material, and silicone is not well approved of here.

The only gasket materials I'd permit would be teflon tape (since there is very little surface area on threaded joints), cork, paper, dough, and gasketless designs (if you have enough metalworking expertise :lol: :roll:)
"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance... baffle them with bullshit."
"Don't steal. The government hates competition."
"Believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see"

20lt small pot still, working on keg
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

Bsnapshot wrote:whear do you find that type of gasket?
Nitrile rubber o-rings are pretty standard products at bearing suppliers, etc.

I would be prepared to use a nitrile o-ring on the boiler-column connection if needed. But not any higher up in the column.

Brass valves often have them as a stem seal. So a few more folk here might be using them than is generally realised.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
Bsnapshot
Swill Maker

Post by Bsnapshot »

what I was looking to do is use a SS flange on the top of the boiler and attach it we SS bolts. Then the gasket inbetween the flange and the boiler lid.
frikz
Novice

Post by frikz »

A quick glance at a chemical resistance database will tell you that nitrile rubber (also called Buna N) isn't recommended for contact with ethanol.
Teflon would be my choice.
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

I looked up the resistance tables. You're right, nitrile is only rated as fair for ethanol. (Natural and neoprene rubber are rated as excellent.)

Wonder why 'The Compleat Distiller' recommend nitrile?

Teflon is definitely the best choice, besides flour dough. I use Teflon.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
As-Ol-Joe
Swill Maker

Post by As-Ol-Joe »

I use a S/S threaded flange on my pot. I like flour paste. It is simple and easy. I don't have to search for it. I don't have to research it. It is always at hand and I know it is not going to hurt me or my product. Clean up is pretty easy too.
You WILL get addicted to this forum.

The Parent site is REQUIRED READING!!!
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

well

Post by Uncle Jesse »

I've been thinking about this lately. What about thin copper cut to fit? It's plenty malleable and reacts well with ethanol.
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
stoker
Distiller

Post by stoker »

it might work if your head already fits precisely on your boiler, and if they are well pressed together.
-I have too much blood in my alcohol system-
Froggy
Swill Maker

Post by Froggy »

What gaskets are people using for their triclover fittings?
Here froggy froggy..
Shane

Our reading material:
The Compleat Distiller
Making Pure Corn Whiskey
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

gasket

Post by Dnderhead »

I don't know what there made of I got Mine forum Brewhous
But they do not come in contact with vapor.
frikz
Novice

Post by frikz »

Froggy wrote:What gaskets are people using for their triclover fittings?
I use teflon tri clamp gaskets, they are also used in milking equipment etc. Got them from ebay.

@Dnderhead: the tri clover gaskets from Brehaus are most likely made of EPDM.
zymos
Swill Maker

Post by zymos »

Buna N (nitrile) is really common in the beverage industry...
liquordude
Novice

Post by liquordude »

Here is a link to a rubber compatibility list.

http://brewerygaskets.com/sealing_compatibility.htm
It's All Legal Until You Get Caught!!!

MY STUFF
kingo102
Novice

Post by kingo102 »

I use a teflon triclover gasket which is wrapped in SS316 foil. Probably overkill though as teflon alone should be ok. **Note there is much discussion/controversy on this**
Froggy
Swill Maker

Post by Froggy »

frikz wrote:
Froggy wrote:What gaskets are people using for their triclover fittings?
I use teflon tri clamp gaskets, they are also used in milking equipment etc. Got them from ebay.

@Dnderhead: the tri clover gaskets from Brehaus are most likely made of EPDM.
Thanks mate, I'll have a look on ebay and see what I can find. My tri clover fittings are 4 inch. Is this a common size?
Here froggy froggy..
Shane

Our reading material:
The Compleat Distiller
Making Pure Corn Whiskey
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

Yes they are available at mile hi distilling
Froggy
Swill Maker

Post by Froggy »

Thanks mate.
Here froggy froggy..
Shane

Our reading material:
The Compleat Distiller
Making Pure Corn Whiskey
byacey
Novice

Post by byacey »

Is Nitrile the same as neoprene? My boiler lid uses a Nitrile / Neoprene? Gasket for the seal. It must be food grade, because it's meant for a milking machine canister. I haven't really noticed any off-flavor or smell from using it.
I'd sooner have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy.
Old_Blue
Rumrunner

Post by Old_Blue »

Yall be careful. There's a difference in something being food grade coming in contact with warm milk compared to boiling hot ETOH.
Fire is the devil’s only friend - Don McLean
Jump in where you can and hang on - Brisco Darling
ifixpcs
Novice

Rubber Comatibility

Post by ifixpcs »

Thanks for the link to our website. When it comes to rubber use with Ethynol, your best bet is to use EPDM. Nitrile/Buna is a great all-purpose rubber, but it is not rated well for Ethynol and doesn't stand to hot water (up to 200F) as well as EP. If you ever have any rubber compatibility questions, feel free to email me and I will be glad to help you out.

Food grade is meaningless, and FDA is a self-administered standard. Your best bet is to buy sanitary (3A) products when it comes to rubber.

Teflon is good for almost anything, but most people don't like it because it is so rigid. Virgin Teflon is inherently sanitary - our Teflon is Class VI (hygenic).

FYI - 4" is a standard size for TC gaskets and we carry them in all matierals.
liquordude wrote:Here is a link to a rubber compatibility list.

http://brewerygaskets.com/sealing_compatibility.htm
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

hmm

Post by Uncle Jesse »

What proof are those gaskets rated for? Can they withstand really high proof alcohol?
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
ifixpcs
Novice

Re: hmm

Post by ifixpcs »

It's not actually a matter of rating for proof. The EP rubber compound is rated as "little or no effect" when used with straight ethynol. This applies to swell, and potential loss of properties (which ultimately result in breakdown of the rubber and little black flakes in your product).
Uncle Jesse wrote:What proof are those gaskets rated for? Can they withstand really high proof alcohol?
theholymackerel
retired

Post by theholymackerel »

ifixpcs wrote:It's not actually a matter of rating for proof. The EP rubber compound is rated as "little or no effect" when used with straight ethynol. This applies to swell, and potential loss of properties (which ultimately result in breakdown of the rubber and little black flakes in your product).
Sir, thankyou for takin' the time to post here.

But yer info isn't actually helpful. All you said was that yer rubber products will be little effected by our alcohol. That is backwards thinkin' from our concerns as distillers.

We need to know what yer rubber will do to our alcohol. Can you say with any certainty that yer rubber won't leach plasticisers, etc, into our alcohol?

Untill someone in the plastics and rubber industry can tell us they have a product that will not leach ANYTHIN' into hot alcohol or boilin' alcohol vapour, and back it up with scientific proof, we here will continue to steer folks away from plastics and rubber.

So far the only good scientific feedback we have here is from a chemist in the alcohol industry who stated that he detected plasticisers in every sample of alcohol he tested that came into contact with alcohol. How much plasticisers is ok for you in yer diet? As for me, I'll have no plasticisers in my body if I can help it.
ifixpcs
Novice

Post by ifixpcs »

I didn't see anyone in this thread asking about plasticizers, but I can add this: Class VI certified Teflon will not leach anything into the product if it is used within its specifications (i.e. <450F), and our 3A silicone contains no plasticizers (DOP being the most widely known). The only concern with the silicone is the high temp which is rated at 200F. What is the temperature range that you are working with?

theholymackerel wrote:
Sir, thankyou for takin' the time to post here.

But yer info isn't actually helpful. All you said was that yer rubber products will be little effected by our alcohol. That is backwards thinkin' from our concerns as distillers.

We need to know what yer rubber will do to our alcohol. Can you say with any certainty that yer rubber won't leach plasticisers, etc, into our alcohol?

Untill someone in the plastics and rubber industry can tell us they have a product that will not leach ANYTHIN' into hot alcohol or boilin' alcohol vapour, and back it up with scientific proof, we here will continue to steer folks away from plastics and rubber.

So far the only good scientific feedback we have here is from a chemist in the alcohol industry who stated that he detected plasticisers in every sample of alcohol he tested that came into contact with alcohol. How much plasticisers is ok for you in yer diet? As for me, I'll have no plasticisers in my body if I can help it.
allen42
Bootlegger

Post by allen42 »

not to jump the tread, BUT I work with a Electric Utility , we Use Rubber Blankets Made from Natural Rubber .Does anybody have any thoughts good or bad about thier use ? Right now I use cork as my gasket between my boiler & the Colum on my reflux BUT I have to replace it every season & have thought many times about cutting a gasket from a bubber blanket that fails the electric grounding test
Pikluk
Swill Maker

Post by Pikluk »

id go with cotton floor and water before i go with rubber.
bit more trouble,lot messier but 100% safe.
The more you read the more you learn.
The more you learn the more you realize you don't know shit :)