good or not

Forum for the discussion of any material/synthetics.Only posts with info /or links to research info allowed . Any posts recommend the use of any material without copy's or links to show proven research will be deleted

Moderator: Site Moderator

roadkill
Novice

good or not

Post by roadkill »

hello bilt my still using plans from world class still internal reflux instead of using half inch copper for the reflux i used quarter inch od copper 5' coiled and made a 6" long coil in the top of the colum i use 2' copper mesh and 2' of marbles in the 2" collum. run the 15gl boiler at 200f with 13gl of 14% on propane, and top of collumn at 79c to 81c distilate is 88% to 87% i run in total reflux for first 30min then throw away first 250ml runs about 1 liter per hour till near the end then all the sudden it just starts barely dripping so i end the run and end up with about 12liters of 50% after diluting. run it through 3' of carbon in a 2" pvc pipe takes about 13hrs to filter taste great and if i add about 20 ml of glycerine per liter its real smooth. ive drank abour 5gl of the tuff taste the same if i distill once or twice is this goog or not
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

Sounds goog to me. :roll:
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

uh

Post by Uncle Jesse »

You're running your spirit through PVC?
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
theholymackerel
retired

Post by theholymackerel »

If the booze NEEDED carbon it wasn't good booze.

If the booze was in contact with PVC plastic for any amount of time it isn't good booze.
big worm
Trainee

Post by big worm »

punkin wrote:Sounds goog to me. :roll:
hey hey now....d and g are only held apart by an "f"
GOT BAIT?
small children left unatended will be sold as bait
roadkill
Novice

Post by roadkill »

i run it through the carbon because it is kinda sweet, i collect it in the same jug from beginning to end ive tried collecting in seperate jars and just hate to mix it with the next batch because it seems like i just get more sweet stuff at the beginning and more bitter stuff at the end to have to pore in the next batch. and whats wrong with pvc all water lines are made of it and the water company puts enough chlorine in them to choke a horse and kill a magget and only god knows what else is in the water like mercury heavy metal pcb sewage and own and own and own, is the water going to kill me or my shine. no serious whats wrong with pvc
BW Redneck
Trainee

Post by BW Redneck »

Plasticizers out the wazoo. PVC is riddled with them. If it weren't for them, it would be as brittle as glass. Ethanol tends to be much more solvent than water and will leach them straight out. We have multiple threads about the harmful effects of plasticizers.
I swear, I posted about this sort of thing just yesterday. Making a "pass before ya post" quiz is looking better and better all the time...
"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance... baffle them with bullshit."
"Don't steal. The government hates competition."
"Believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see"

20lt small pot still, working on keg
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

big worm wrote:
I know thats true, but 'goog' is all it sounds.
Certainly couldn't say it was a 'good' idea.

AndIAin'tGotTheEnergyToKeepExplainingItPunkin
rumbaba
Swill Maker

Post by rumbaba »

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :lol:
Aint that the bloody truth!!!
Ultimately, the choice is the users, but a bit of reading certainly clears up any questions as to the effect of high ABV on synthetic materials.
roadkill
Novice

Post by roadkill »

sorry for the type o (good or not) :shock:
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

yeh

Post by Uncle Jesse »

The info about plastics is in the Wiki, in the FAQ and in several threads intended for newbies.
tommy317
Novice

Re: good or not

Post by tommy317 »

roadkill wrote:hello bilt my still using plans from world class still internal reflux instead of using half inch copper for the reflux i used quarter inch od copper 5' coiled and made a 6" long coil in the top of the colum i use 2' copper mesh and 2' of marbles in the 2" collum. run the 15gl boiler at 200f with 13gl of 14% on propane, and top of collumn at 79c to 81c distilate is 88% to 87% i run in total reflux for first 30min then throw away first 250ml runs about 1 liter per hour till near the end then all the sudden it just starts barely dripping so i end the run and end up with about 12liters of 50% after diluting. run it through 3' of carbon in a 2" pvc pipe takes about 13hrs to filter taste great and if i add about 20 ml of glycerine per liter its real smooth. ive drank abour 5gl of the tuff taste the same if i distill once or twice is this goog or not
How did you learn all this?? Please teach me!! Im a very interested novice
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Jesse »

tommy317 wrote:
roadkill wrote:hello bilt my still using plans from world class still internal reflux instead of using half inch copper for the reflux i used quarter inch od copper 5' coiled and made a 6" long coil in the top of the colum i use 2' copper mesh and 2' of marbles in the 2" collum. run the 15gl boiler at 200f with 13gl of 14% on propane, and top of collumn at 79c to 81c distilate is 88% to 87% i run in total reflux for first 30min then throw away first 250ml runs about 1 liter per hour till near the end then all the sudden it just starts barely dripping so i end the run and end up with about 12liters of 50% after diluting. run it through 3' of carbon in a 2" pvc pipe takes about 13hrs to filter taste great and if i add about 20 ml of glycerine per liter its real smooth. ive drank abour 5gl of the tuff taste the same if i distill once or twice is this goog or not
How did you learn all this?? Please teach me!! Im a very interested novice
then read, nobody is going to lay it out for you.
Old_Blue
Rumrunner

Post by Old_Blue »

Compelled to invoke New_moonshiner's advice:

Friend , I see that youre new and all ... But the best thing I can tell you is take Joe' advice and try searching a little between this site
http://homedistiller.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
and the forum that you are now there is not very much of anything that has not been covered unless its just been invented.. You wont find alot of people here willing to answer all youre questions .. But Im betting they have already been answered ..So try doing a little research and see what you find .. and if you still got questions then read some more as one of our leaders would say then ask ya question again .. you will get way much more help by trying this lots of people here to help but mostly when they see someone trying to help their self.. welcome to the site.
Fire is the devil’s only friend - Don McLean
Jump in where you can and hang on - Brisco Darling
big worm
Trainee

Post by big worm »

punkin wrote:
big worm wrote:
I know thats true, but 'goog' is all it sounds.
Certainly couldn't say it was a 'good' idea. yea i know...lmao
i seen the "goog" ,and thought the boy is sampling the goods as we speak

:lol:
GOT BAIT?
big worm
Trainee

Post by big worm »

a buddy of mine knew an old "moonshiner" and he used pvc quite a bit...he also pulled dead possums ,and other small animals out of his ferment vessels. there is just no excuse for sloppy work....you have to think of etoh as it is... SOLVENT. if you are looking to make a drinking quality still use safe quality products. if your running your hooch thru an old truck radiator more power to ya...just don't invite me to the party. i'm relitively a new fixture on this site,but i can say that plastics and etho are a bad combo..have read to many threads about it to dispute the facts. just remember you can't make chicken salad out of chicken s**t jmho
bw
GOT BAIT?
big worm
Trainee

Post by big worm »

tommy317 wrote: How did you learn all this?? Please teach me!! Im a very interested novice
hi tommy, best bet? go straight to the newbie FAQ. just about anything to start with is there...spend a few days reading the threads checking out the links and bookmarking. pay close attention to the safety part. if something looks like it interests you read the thread from begining to end..even if its like 10 pages...you will pick up quickly and learn the right safe way to explore this hobby...i say explore because next week you will teach me what you have found out. ..oh yea welcome :wink:
GOT BAIT?
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

I have found that it is far easier to find answers to specific questions by using the main site rather than attempting to search the forums... It boils down to using the right too for the job... As far as fundamentals for the beginner I don't think you'll find a better resource than the main site...
roadkill
Novice

Post by roadkill »

thanks for the advice think i will hunt down some stainless for the filter. i dont want my balls to fall off. also ive been messing around with the bokabob design i wrap the vinal cooling line around the quarter inch drip line several times takes care of the warm distilate. the problem is when my wash gets down to about 5% to 6% in the boiler i cant get no reflux (cant get no satisfaction)not enough vapor coming up the column i have to do alot of tasting and smelling prety lit by the time i get to the end. ive tried several angels on the angle plate. ( has any one else had this problem?)
roadkill
Novice

Post by roadkill »

i know this probly an't the place for dumb questions but i have one on the filter. i live on a farm and have plenty of oak trees and tools if i drilled a 2" hole in a 8" x 3' dry log chared the inside a little bit put 3 or 4 heavy bands on it a wooden bug with a 1/4 inch hole in it fill with carbon and filter and when im not using it as a filter rinse out carbon fill it with distilate with a bung on each end of course. would hold a liter or more for aging and keeping log from splitting (any thoughts)
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

Sounds a worthy experiment. Although, once you figure out what you're doing, you probably won't want to filter your whiskey at all. 8)
brewzz
Novice

Post by brewzz »

Roadkill,you sound a little dangerous to me....distilling down to 5-6%in the wash??
I hope you aren't drinking that stuff.......
Cheers,Brewzz
schnell
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

wood filter

Post by schnell »

i like your idea for a bored out log. it'll probably work great until the wood dries out and cracks. but if you live somewhere humid this could be a very long time. this is a good alternative to plastics.

maybe by elaborating on this you can make some tennessee style beverages also.

there's a lot to be said for building your own tools. you'll definately understand them better and you may end up with a piece of functional art as well.
Old_Blue
Rumrunner

Post by Old_Blue »

it'll probably work great until the wood dries out and cracks.
That would have to be treated like a barrel. Keep it full of water while its idle.
Fire is the devil’s only friend - Don McLean
Jump in where you can and hang on - Brisco Darling
Safegyde
Novice

Post by Safegyde »

Isn't a d and a g held apart by both f and e?

Enough of the still talk, let's get into the explanation of the argument over semantics! :lol:
Shine on you crazy diamonds!!
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Safegyde wrote:Isn't a d and a g held apart by both f and e?
Not on my keyboard, Safegyde... 8)