proofing the mash. Got a problem.

Putting older posts here. Going to try to keep the novice forum pruned about 90 days work. The 'good' old stuff is going to be put into appropriate forums.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Safegyde
Novice

proofing the mash. Got a problem.

Post by Safegyde »

Ok guys, I have a little conundrum here. On a previous wash I used a Tralle/proofer and it registered at 8% abv (16 proof). On the wash I have going now I tested it and it is below 0. So that would mean that according to the proofer it has less alcohol than water. :? That doesn't sound right. The proofer is working fine, I tested it on water and alcohol. The wash tastes like it has a good amount of alcohol in it, not sweet anymore either. So I want to know what is up with that?

1. Does the unsettled yeast affect the buoyancy of the proofer? If not then what is it?

2. Since it doesn't taste sweet anymore, but it is still bubbling, can I go ahead and run it or should I wait for fermentation to completely stop?

Thanks for your help on this shiners.
Shine on you crazy diamonds!!
theholymackerel
retired

Post by theholymackerel »

A hydrometer will tell ya the %ABV through the difference in the first readin' (SG) and the final readin' (FG)... the difference between the two readin's in yer mash/wash will give ya yer %ABV.

PS: Wait till the ferment stops to get yer FG... the bubbles will stick to yer hydrometer and mess up the readin'.
Safegyde
Novice

Post by Safegyde »

So a hydrometer is a different instrument than a proofer? I thought you just did some math to get the specific gravity.

So why did the other wash read 8% abv on the proofer and this one is reading below 0?

:?
theholymackerel
retired

Here is a short essay on how to use a hydrometer:

http://www.grapestompers.com/articles/h ... er_use.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I wish ya luck.
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

The proof and tralles hydrometer is used on distilled spirits.If you try to get a reading on a wash,mash or wine,The sugars that are left in it,and other stuff,make it give you a false reading.
Old_Blue
Rumrunner

Post by Old_Blue »

So a hydrometer is a different instrument than a proofer?
They are the same instrument because they both report specific gravity, just read a different range. What is normally called a "hydrometer" in beer and wine making (read: wash) basically gives you potential alcohol and/or sugar content for the purposes brewers use it for.

A Proof and Traille is a "hydrometer" that can tell you % ETOH.

You need both.

This is the short answer.
Fire is the devil’s only friend - Don McLean
Jump in where you can and hang on - Brisco Darling
zymos
Swill Maker

Post by zymos »

Seems like you should be able to convert from one to the other though, like:

SG .900 = 55% EtOH , or something (just making up numbers for an example). Unless the scales don't overlap at the higher alcohol percentages we use around here.

Guess I could just go figure it out-I have both instruments and some booze...
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

cant be dun a spirit hydrometer will float like a Cork in low wines
and a wine-beer hydrometer will sink like a rock in high proof
theholymackerel
retired

Dunderhead is right. They are two seperate instruments.
Safegyde
Novice

Post by Safegyde »

Do any of you still have residual bubbling in the mash when you distill? Mine is going over two weeks now, it tastes dry and not sweet at all yet it is still bubbling a little. Would it be ok to just go ahead and run it??
Old_Blue
Rumrunner

Post by Old_Blue »

Thats dissolved co2 coming out. Its fine.
Fire is the devil’s only friend - Don McLean
Jump in where you can and hang on - Brisco Darling
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

You can stir your mash, and most of that disolved gas will leave (or shake it :)

H.