What oak is this made of??

Putting older posts here. Going to try to keep the novice forum pruned about 90 days work. The 'good' old stuff is going to be put into appropriate forums.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Safegyde
Novice

What oak is this made of??

Post by Safegyde »

Hello all.

Due to monetary restraints at the moment I'm not going to make an online purchase for oak to flavor my whiskey. The growing oaks in my area are Live Oaks, which have a bitter taste, so I'm told.

I have an oak dow rod, 1.5" thick, reddish color oak. Looks like one you pick up at Lowe's or Home Depot. Yes, I am in the U.S.

Does anyone know if this is a suitable oak for me to use? It doesn't have any treatment done to it, no lacquer, no finish, etc.

thanks for your help. :D
Shine on you crazy diamonds!!
barrelcreator
Novice

Post by barrelcreator »

WHITE OAK ONLY!!! Dont use red oak. Its properties are to harsh and if toasted the hemicellulose you are looking to convert into sugars will be to harsh and tanic. Not to mention the bad volitiles.
Old_Blue
Rumrunner

Post by Old_Blue »

Don't use commercial bought wood or scrap like old pallets or such. Depending on where it came from and where it is going, some has to be treated with pesticides to make sure there are no invasive species introduced.
Fire is the devil’s only friend - Don McLean
Jump in where you can and hang on - Brisco Darling
Jetzon
Swill Maker

Post by Jetzon »

Go buy some Jack Daniels smoking chips. They sell them at any Walmart and places like that. Char them up your self. There made out of there barrels they keep Whiskey in. That would be your best bet if you cant find your own Oak.
Keep on Keeping on...
barrelcreator
Novice

Post by barrelcreator »

Heres a thread I wrote on oak barrel alternatives. Its everything you will need to know.

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6597
Safegyde
Novice

Post by Safegyde »

Good to know. Thanks guys.

Jack Daniel's smoking chips huh? Those are oak? The only ones I can find in the stores around here are all hickory. That is what I have been using, but the flavor is very distinct.....good, but not exactly what I am looking for.

I will try the Jack Daniel's ones. Thanks.

Thanks for the link too, barrelcreator.
Safegyde
Novice

Post by Safegyde »

Duplicate reply.

Hey barrelcreator, do you know a good link to get those "premium" oak chips for when I can afford it?

Anyone out there....what is your favorite site to get oak chips from....if you order off of the internet of course.

Funny huh? Ordering wood off of the internet. :lol: :lol:
barrelcreator
Novice

Post by barrelcreator »

This one offers free samples and have good prices.

http://www.oaksolutionsgroup.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

This one one can typically find online at winemaking and brewing stores. They really only tailor to big operations.

www.stavin.com