Started on my still rack

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Hawke
retired

Started on my still rack

Post by Hawke »

Started building my still rack today.

Here's the bones of the beast. The uprights are for the boiler. A steel shelf goes down on the frame for the column, or up on the supports for pot mode.

In pot mode mock up. Fitting a swing arm to support the condenser. The arm will also support a transfer tube when I have the column mounted. There will be a second one on the collection table for the parrot's beak.

A closer look at the support head.
It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.
Valved Reflux, 3"x54" Bok 'mini', 2 liebig based pots and the 'Blockhead' 60K btu propane heat
trthskr4
Distiller

Re: Started on my still rack

Post by trthskr4 »

Looks good and safe, do you stand it up for column mode and use your milk can there for the column?

Look at you and your fancy welder and me in the stone ages with a stick. :(

That's a good looking burner under that keg too.
15 gallon pot still, 2"x18" column with liebeg condensor on propane.
Modified Charles 803 w/ 50gal boiler, never ran so far.
Hawke
retired

Post by Hawke »

The milk can is for my Valved reflux, mostly gets used to transfer backset now. For the Boka column, the burner shelf drops down 12 inches and the column takes the place of the potstill on the keg.
I can run a stick way better than that wirefeed, but with the amount of body work I do it's a matter of practicality.
It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.
Valved Reflux, 3"x54" Bok 'mini', 2 liebig based pots and the 'Blockhead' 60K btu propane heat
Hawke
retired

Post by Hawke »

Almost done with the build, just need to get the casters and add a bottle storage shelf under the table.
The table top is a piece of .040 aluminium, rolled over 1/2" square tubing.
Here it is in potstill mode:

And here it is with the 3" column:
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

VERY nice. Thanks for sharing the pix. I am sure this will spark ideas in many other ppls minds.

The only thing I can say about it, is you might want just a wee more space between your burner and that bottle (I would try to move them as far apart as possible).

H.
Hillbilly Rebel: Unless you are one of the people on this site who are legalling distilling, keep a low profile, don't tell, don't sell.
As-Ol-Joe
Swill Maker

Post by As-Ol-Joe »

Very nice job. I'll be taking measurments in the morning.
You WILL get addicted to this forum.

The Parent site is REQUIRED READING!!!
Hawke
retired

Post by Hawke »

Husker, need a longer hose for the burner to move the tank. I'm going to add a piece of aluminum to that side of the rack for a heat shield. (Actually 2 layers with a 1/2" airgap)
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

Sweet. 8)
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
jdonly1
Swill Maker

Post by jdonly1 »

Very nice mate,top job
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

Hawke wrote:Husker, need a longer hose for the burner to move the tank. I'm going to add a piece of aluminum to that side of the rack for a heat shield. (Actually 2 layers with a 1/2" airgap)
Heat shield will do the same thing. Keep that hose, connector and bottle cooler.

Again, I will state, like everyone else: Job WELL done!!!

H
Hillbilly Rebel: Unless you are one of the people on this site who are legalling distilling, keep a low profile, don't tell, don't sell.
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

Hawke

One little suggestion. Might be worth somehow anchoring the boiler to the two top cross bars that it sits in between. Make it that bit more stable.

And I am still real impressed by that parrot's beak.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
Hawke
retired

Post by Hawke »

Thanks all,
Best part is, not a penny out of pocket so far. Every thing on it was either free, or left over from other projects. (Wish I could say the same for the stills :? )
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

I like it. All you need now is a little chinese fella to pull it round for ya. :lol:

GottaBeTheRickshawStillPunkin
theholymackerel
retired

Post by theholymackerel »

Good job, Hawke.
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

If ya paint it red your runs will speed up too :lol:
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Very nice still on wheels.Great job deserves a sticky so it will be there for all to see. :)
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Hawke
retired

Post by Hawke »

punkin wrote:If ya paint it red your runs will speed up too :lol:
Here in the States, red is a cop magnet. :? (Paid for many a troopers wages over the years while driving a red rig.) :oops: :twisted:

If we do a sticky, I'll clean up my drawing and scan it. Although, every one would need to match the design to thier particular setup.
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Jesse »

Is that a Caprice tail light?
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
Hawke
retired

Post by Hawke »

Uncle Jesse wrote:Is that a Caprice tail light?
'72 Impalla. I'm supposed to be putting an engine in it for a friend. Only problem is he doesn't have the money.
trthskr4
Distiller

Post by trthskr4 »

You could take payment in grain. :roll: :D
15 gallon pot still, 2"x18" column with liebeg condensor on propane.
Modified Charles 803 w/ 50gal boiler, never ran so far.
Trid
Novice

Post by Trid »

Very nice looking setup!
If you haven't already thought of it, a little cloth or rubber on the support bracket that holds the copper pipe might help prevent any potential galvanic corrosion where they contact.

Oh...and if there's a spot to post an intro (as this is my first post in this forum) I didn't see it. Then again, it's 3:30 am and my powers of observation are not what they should be.

Trid
-as in "Silly Rabbi, kicks are for..."
Hawke
retired

Post by Hawke »

Trid,
Welcome aboard.
It doesn't stay together long enough for much galvanic action to start. Although I will probably hit those areas with some plasti-dip one of these days.
duds2u
Swill Maker

Post by duds2u »

Welcome Trid
Was wondering when you would drop in here as well.
Cheers
Mal T
Less oak longer
frikz
Novice

Post by frikz »

Very nice job indeed! Might build something similar when I have the time, always have the still lying around in pieces.
Hawke
retired

Post by Hawke »

Has been working out great. It took the place of a couple small tables, a tripod and 2 buckets. Still need to add a shelf or two under the collection table to hold jars and such, but has sure made it easy to set up for a run.