SmartStill/EasyStill Site

Research sources, reviews and links to information relating to distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

xsquared_uk
Novice

SmartStill/EasyStill Site

Post by xsquared_uk »

Hi all,

Just a quick note to let you know that I have a website which is aimed at those using the SmartStill and EasyStill range of modified water distillers. If anyone is interested then they can check it out at http://www.stillsmart.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow - it'd be great to have some people getting involved and letting me know what they think, what they'd like to see, etc. Currently there are articles about how to use one to make spirits, a few bits of theory, useful resources, suppliers, etc.

Come and have a look around, all are welcome!

Thanks,

Jimmy
theholymackerel
retired

Re: SmartStill/EasyStill Site

Post by theholymackerel »

I took a look at the site and it implied that pride in buildin' it yerself is the only reason that potstillers look down on the "easy still". Anyone that has followed FatBloke's trials and tribulations know this is not the truth. All the standard problems with this type of still were ignored or glossed over (too small boiler, mandatory modifications [just plain won't work "as is" outta the box], etc).

In fact the site suggests that somehow it's not like other stills and can magically be put on a timer and left unattended.

Sorry to be a wetblanket, but I give Two Huge Thumbs Down.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

same hear NO good it just not what they say it is ,does not work !
xsquared_uk
Novice

Post by xsquared_uk »

Hmmm, obviously some people have had bad experiences by the sound of things, but mine works great and just as it came out of the box, no modifications needed. I know that the EasyStill isn't exactly the same as the SmartStill (which is what I have), perhaps there are some differences with the version on sale in the US? I know quite a few people in the UK who are using them regularly (one guy uses his every day on a timer so he can make different things each time) and he has been doing for over a year with no problems. By the way, I don't sell them or anything - I just really like them, and thought it'd be a good idea to collect information into one place for people.

Like I said on the site though, it's not for everyone. I like the small boiler size, it makes it convenient for me to use but I can see why others prefer to make larger batches at once. Horses for courses and all that, if you're not into them then that's your choice, but if you are then hopefully you'll like the site and find it useful!
fatbloke
Novice

Post by fatbloke »

To be fair, despite the problems I've had, which I consider part of the learning curve, I'm happy with both my stills.

If I hadn't been quite so adventurous, in pushing the boundaries on what my table top model would do, I wouldn't have had any problems at all i.e. when I follow the instructions properly/closely/religiously, then it does "exactly what it says on the tin", but I've been getting "delusions of grandeur" with it and trying to do stuff that's it's not really designed for (actually it's designed for purifying water :roll: ).

I often read the threads here at homedistiller and find myself being quite envious of some of the "good ole boys", inasfaras they have more room/space/land to be able to play more with different designs in a discreet way, I don't have that luxury. Not forgetting the much bigger market for parts and equipment enjoyed by the good citizens of the US. Here it's a lot harder to get, for example, copper sheet and tubing (larger than 22 mm), to be able to build a DIY model. If I could locate, easily, the parts and equipment I'd have built something long since.

Hell, even getting hold of a stainless beer keg to modify isn't easy!

Suffice to say, that I follow both sides of the argument and admire greatly the points raised.

It's about what suits a particular person. As a town/city dweller, the table top model and the 25 ltr reflux model I have are eminently suitable for my location. Oh and also that even the cheapest agricultural land in my area (limited though it is), costs about the 20,000 $US per acre. Out of my price range!
What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away. Tom Waits.
jema
Novice

Post by jema »

Copper stuff in the UK seems darn hard, I have been wondering about what can be constructed by modifying easily bought bits of household stainless steel?
tracker0945
Trainee

Post by tracker0945 »

You can easily make from stainless, i.e. boiler, column etc. just include some copper in the vapour path either as copper scrubbers for reflux, small dia tubing for product delivery or cooling coils etc.
Cheers.
2"x38" Bok mini and
Pot still with Leibig on 45 litre boiler
jema
Novice

Post by jema »

tracker0945 wrote:You can easily make from stainless, i.e. boiler, column etc. just include some copper in the vapour path either as copper scrubbers for reflux, small dia tubing for product delivery or cooling coils etc.
Cheers.
My hazy details so far conform that idea. Stainless for the reflux, treated brass fitting connecting to a copper system for condenser.

Why copper for scrubbers, rather than stainless? I'm still very much a newbie on this.
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

Copper reacts with any sulphides in the vapour and removes them, giving a much cleaner tasting product.

Make sure you use pure copper scrubbers, not copper coated steel ones. Take a small magnet to the shop and if it is attracted to the 'copper' scrubbers, they ain't pure copper so don't buy them.

You can buy pure copper structured mesh which works very well and is a favourite here. No idea where you get it in Britain, but you can order off the net from the Amphora Society.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.