Condenser Tube for Gooseneck Still

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Burning Man
Novice

Condenser Tube for Gooseneck Still

Post by Burning Man »

I'm getting ready to build my first still :mrgreen: I was wondering what size tubing I need for the condenser on a gooseneck still? Also what size tubing do I need for the cooling of the condenser? This is what I have: A 16 Gallon Keg, I will be using a 3" Tri-Clamp, Gas Heat. This is what I'm thinking: Come off the 3" Tri-Clamp with a 3" copper reducer down to whatever size the condenser tube needs to be. I will be able to catch the vapor at the very top this way. I'm thinking a 45 on top of the reducer and before the condenser tube. Or between the reducer and condenser tube is another way of saying it. Don't worry about how to brace the condenser or cooling tube, I already have that figured out. I will be using this gooseneck head to make whisky and do stripping runs. I am also going to make a valved reflux column for neutrals but that is a different post. I have been reading this forum for about a month now and your knowledge is incredible! I would think some people for their knowledge but I know I would leave someone out. I realy feel that I have learned something from everyone anyway. Some what to do and some what not to do. It's all just as important. Thanks everyone.
punkin
Master of Distillation

Re: Condenser Tube for Gooseneck Still

Post by punkin »

Plan sounds good, there's lots of photos of pot stills here exactly as you have described. either 1/2" in 3/4" or 3/4" in 1" seems to be common sizes for liebig condensors and will handle what you can throw at it heat wise in a hobby situation.
Burning Man
Novice

Post by Burning Man »

Thanks Punkin, I didn't know if I should go with a 1/2-3/4 or a 3/4-1inch. Have you had any experience with using a larger cooling tube. Say a 1 1/4 inch or so?
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

Honest Rod wrote:Thanks Punkin, I didn't know if I should go with a 1/2-3/4 or a 3/4-1inch. Have you had any experience with using a larger cooling tube. Say a 1 1/4 inch or so?

Not personally mate, no.

The forum wisdom says that to use small tubing of a close diameter with some introduced turbulence in the coolant and the vapour is the most effecient.

If you check the Hardware section you'll find the only large condensor i use posted as 'My New Condensor' by me. It's a bit of a tricky build but, fuck it's efficient and very compact. :mrgreen:
Hawke
retired

Post by Hawke »

Have seen some made with larger pipe, but the expense really adds up once you go above 1 inch without any real gain in efficiancy.
It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.
Valved Reflux, 3"x54" Bok 'mini', 2 liebig based pots and the 'Blockhead' 60K btu propane heat
Burning Man
Novice

Post by Burning Man »

I have acess to a little used copper tubing. That's why I was asking about increasing the size of the cooling tube. It wouldn't cost any more, It's just a matter of waiting a week or two for some 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 inch to come in, If it would be better.
potbelly
Novice

Post by potbelly »

I'm using 1/2" inside 3/4", 22" in length. I'm running on an electric stove, probably about 1500W so most likely not as much heat as your gas, and a 3/4" column (wish I had the 3" you have). I find it works very well, using less than 0.75L/min of water. Even with the burner on high for a stripping run, no issues at all. I believe I've seen posts where some folks have worked out the thermodynamics of this to calculate the size required for the heat input but that's way beyond my capabilities. If I can find the post, I'll drop the link here.
potbelly
Novice

Post by potbelly »

Not quite what I was looking for but this gives some theory:

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... s#p6760524

Seems to indicate smaller may be more efficient due to increased turbulence. Good luck.