UJSM

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Left Coast
Novice

UJSM

Post by Left Coast »

I hope this is not a stupid question...probably is to most but what is UJSM??? :?:

I've done searches for the abbreviation but only come up with more of the abbreviation. I'm probalby correct in guessing that the SM is Sour Mash but what is the UJ part?

Thanks for helping the "needy".
"Beer and women are the same....they're all good, just some's better than others"
Left Coast
Novice

Re: UJSM

Post by Left Coast »

Finally figured it out...thanks Uncle Jesse
"Beer and women are the same....they're all good, just some's better than others"
Hawke
retired

Post by Hawke »

Uncle Jesse's Simple Sour Mash.
It's a stickie in the tried and true section.
It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.
Valved Reflux, 3"x54" Bok 'mini', 2 liebig based pots and the 'Blockhead' 60K btu propane heat
Hack
retired

Post by Hack »

Here's a REALLY stupid question that's been bugging me for some time. I haven't asked it because it's really just plain dumb. I'm posting it here for what little entertainment value it has. If UJSM stands for Uncle Jesse's Simple Sour Mash, and it does in my mind, which may be the real problem here, how come it only has one 'S' in the abbreviation?
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

Ohhh gawd Hack, I'm outta here. :) :) :) :) :)

blanik
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
Hawke
retired

Post by Hawke »

Only has one 's' for simplisity. :lol: :lol: :lol:
It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.
Valved Reflux, 3"x54" Bok 'mini', 2 liebig based pots and the 'Blockhead' 60K btu propane heat
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Without getting technical on language and abbreviations, adjectives and adverbs are generally omitted from abbreviations... For example, it's USA, not USoA... But, contrary to that theory, China is RoC, not RC... But I digress... Leave it to Hack to ask... It is what it is...
Damandaplaya
Novice

Post by Damandaplaya »

While we are on topic of UJSM, another question from a newbie. I pitched a batch of UJSM (5lb split corn, 5 lbs sugar, bakers yeats, about 4 gallons of water) in my sterile carbouy (with bubble cap) and for 4 days it was bubbling nicely. As I am waiting for it to stop so I can run it, I checked it on the morning of the 5th day, and it looks like it is boiling, going crazy! I checked it several times on the 5th day (yesterday) and even this morning it is still "boiling". I have read of this "second fermintation", have I screwed up and not distilled it on the 3-4 days has presecribed by the UJSM? I was under the impression that if it is bubbling it is still producing alcohol, but on the 5th day to get real aggressive?
brewmaker1
Swill Maker

Post by brewmaker1 »

Did you convert the corn first?
Hack
retired

Post by Hack »

brewmaker1 wrote:Did you convert the corn first?
You don't need to convert the corn on UJSM. :D

I've never had a ferment take less than two weeks, and then I usually let it settle for a week or so. I always wonder how people get things fermented in 3-4 days.
Damandaplaya
Novice

Post by Damandaplaya »

Thanks Hack, I feel better. I just checked it and it is going strong on day 6.