Amaretto recipe needed

Putting older posts here. Going to try to keep the novice forum pruned about 90 days work. The 'good' old stuff is going to be put into appropriate forums.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Safegyde
Novice

Amaretto recipe needed

Post by Safegyde »

Hello all! It has been a while on the board for me. I really love the new graphics and interface ease of use. Very up to date!

I am searching for a good fairly easy to follow amaretto recipe. I read that most people on here just use a flavoring agent in their neutral spirits, but I use a pot still with a thumper for my whiskey, so my spirits won't come out very neutral. I would prefer to do it from scratch with the almonds/apricots...whatever the hell it is that makes it so yummy.

Any help would be appreciated. Or even if someone has a link to it somewhere else. thanks.
Shine on you crazy diamonds!!
big worm
Trainee

Re: Amaretto recipe needed

Post by big worm »

i found knuckleheads recipe doing a search on it there are about three if memory serves me. an there all good.
GOT BAIT?
small children left unatended will be sold as bait
mikeac
Swill Maker

Post by mikeac »

This site has almost every Liqueur recipy I've ever wanted including this one:

http://www.guntheranderson.com/liqueurs/amarett0.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Don't take life too seriously -- you'll never get out of it alive.
Safegyde
Novice

Post by Safegyde »

So is amaretto not like whiskey in the sense that the flavor is mostly carried over through the distillation process? Is it basically a mixed drink? :?:
Shine on you crazy diamonds!!
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

Seems that way and some is quite involved
http://www.homebrewunderground.com/52/h ... ur-part-1/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
mikeac
Swill Maker

Post by mikeac »

I believe basically, Ameretto is brandy(grape) infused with almond and apricot pits.... Could made really difficult, could be easy...
Don't take life too seriously -- you'll never get out of it alive.
BillHoo
Bootlegger

Post by BillHoo »

mikeac wrote:I believe basically, Ameretto is brandy(grape) infused with almond and apricot pits.... Could made really difficult, could be easy...
Although apricot pits have an almond-like flavor, they are not almonds. Peach and Apricot pits after their flavoring oils have been extracted contain quite a bit of cyanide:

http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/apples.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

When I have made amaretto in the past, I have used almond extract. I think it is safer, and more consistent than using apricot pits, which really CAN be dangerous. I know others who have used apricot pits, but not me. I am not about to use plastics, lead solder, etc to make my booze, so why should I risk infusing it with cyanide, which those pits DO have.

H.
Hillbilly Rebel: Unless you are one of the people on this site who are legalling distilling, keep a low profile, don't tell, don't sell.
BillHoo
Bootlegger

Post by BillHoo »

I remember hearing in the news shortly after 9/11 how a factory that took peach pits to make almond extract was missing a 55 gallon drum of cyanide that was a byproduct. I think they estimated this was enough to poison the water supply of a small town.

I don't think they ever found it.