Corn And Corn Malt.

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

pro65
Bootlegger

Corn And Corn Malt.

Post by pro65 »

I have been reading a book called the Foxfire Book, It deals with things that were done in the late 1800's and early 1900's.
One of the subjects is moonshine, They have a recipe for corn liquor with only using 3 ingredients.

1. Fine ground white corn
2. Corn malt
3. Water

The book says for a 55 GAL barrel to fill the still with water and stir in a half-bushel of corn meal , when it comes to a boil let it bubble for 30-35 minutes, when cooked sufficiently, pour into barrel , add a gallon of uncooked meal and let the hot contents of the barrel cook it alone.

The next day put a stick in the barrel standing straight up and thin the mash with water until the stick falls to the side of the barrel.
Then add a gallon of con malt to the barrel and stir it in good, at the same time add a double hand-full of raw Rye to the barrel, sprinkling it around over the top to make a cap.

cover the barrel, the next day stir up the mixture in the barrel, then leave it for 2 days and check it again.

on the 5Th day of its working it will be ready to run, the cap will be anywhere from 1/2" -2" thick or may just be a blossom cap (suds) all of these are fine.

when the cap is nearly gone, the mixture is ready to run.

Has anyone ever tried this? I'm guessing the corn malt is used instead of yest? I am also guessing it should be a good corn flavor sense the only other ingredients are water and rye?

WOULD THIS BE A GOOD RECIPE?
Moonshine the flavor of the South.
Tater
Admin

Re: Corn And Corn Malt.

Post by Tater »

Yep that's a good recipe a fairly common one still used today. They would count on wild yeast then .And there would be some yeast left in mash boxes Id bet.Just use distillers yeast and you should make something ya like.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

Yep that is strait corn whiskey ,Iv done a bunch of it . but I prefer 1/2 and 1/2 corn to corn malt or all malt.
much of the time I malted "all" but not all whould sprout and I did not worry about it. if at least 1/2 sprouted it was good to go.
one good thing about it is there is no regulations, as aging/type of barrels etc whether in the white,aged in old ,new ,chard , toasted
barrels it is still corn whiskey. two things to remember 1) do not let the light git to the malt 2) git it off the grain as soon as it is worked out.
if you don't it can become "grassy".if you dry the malt it eliminates most of that.
pro65
Bootlegger

Post by pro65 »

So could this be done by just buying white corn meal and boiling it down and adding distillers yeast? Or would I still need Malt? Also I have used 6 row barley malt in the past is this the same as corn malt? Or can you buy corn malt?

I know I can take the corn and let it grow roots and sprouts and make malt that way, but I have no way to grind it. But if I did grow it and found a way to grind it will it be dry or wet when ground? Also can it be added to the fermenter wet or dry? And if i just used the corn meal ,malt and water with no yeast would it still ferment in a fermenter with an air lock?

Thanks Guys
Moonshine the flavor of the South.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

As I said before can be used green or dried , green will be quit easy to grind, since it is soft. for small amount put it in a pail and
use a base ball bat. used to do tons of it threw two wood rollers. you can dry but then it will be harder to grind. most roller grain mills
(for beer) do not cut it. corn is hard when dried and too large to feed well. rollers needs to be larger and a heavy duty motor. Iv wore out 2 beer mills
got to dig out my lathe and make one.most of the big boys use a hammer mill. and no malt/enzymes no conversion , no conversion no sugar, no sugar no alcohol.
bigbuck
Swill Maker

Post by bigbuck »

so if I did all my reading correctly after malted corn Is dried it should be ground for mash?
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

bigbuck wrote:so if I did all my reading correctly after malted corn Is dried it should be ground for mash?
Yes... Unless you want to ferment green malt for an earthy flavor, but I doubt you'd want to try that for your first effort...
FranklinNewhart
Novice

Post by FranklinNewhart »

I am looking for a place to post a question about Corn and I figured this thread was good to go. I have a place to grow corn next summer in South Scatch. I have an idea of growing several varieties of corn and doing a comparison on what sort of flavour differences there might be from one corn variety to another. Yellow feed corn is available here so I can just pick some up anyplace but I also have a stock of White Indian Flour Corn that I grow for making Lyed Corn Soup. Another corn I have is Flint Corn. That is the multi coloured stuff. Also Pop Corn. And lastly Sweet Corn, the kind you eat in the middle of the summer.

Now my question. Has anybody tried using different corn and is there a flavour difference in them? I read someplace that even with Sweet Corn there is different sugar levels in different varieties and I know there sure is flavour differences from one type of Sweet Corn to another.

With Sweet Corn I would expect a person would just carve it off the cobs while it is freash and ferment it that way. Would have to use some malt or enzyme with it though to get it converted.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

FranklinNewhart, if you search around the forums you will find that members have used standard dent, sweet corn, pop corn, Indian corn (multi-colored), and perhaps others... There should be some discussion about taste, quirks, etc, in those topics...