malt corn mash

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

itsroger
Novice

malt corn mash

Post by itsroger »

I have successfully malted about 15 lb of corn, got about 80% to sprout, just got some questions that i cant find the answers to here. I plan to mash it with about 15 lb of soured cracked corn.
How is the best way to remove the roots and sprouts, or should I just grind them in with the grain for an all corn mash?

If I bring the soured corn with about 5 lb of the malted to 180F and hold it there for 1 1/2 hours, then cool to 160 and add the rest of the malt, how long should I hold it there, or will it convert immediately?

I read that for beginners add 1 pound grain to 1 gallon water, think I'll go for 1 1/2 making about 20 gallon water , and 30 lb grain.
Should I add all the water at the start , as in 20 gallons water and the 15 lb sour corn and 5 lb malted corn, then add the rest of the malted corn , or cook the soured corn and 5 lb malted corn in 12 1/2 gallons water then add the rest of the water with the rest of the malt?

Are my temps and times close?

Is it best to strain through a bag then rinse with rinse water going into fermentor or drop bag into fermentor to ferment on grain?

Anyone got an idea from experience how much corn liquor this will make?

Will it help it to add backset from ujsm to the wash? before the ferment or in the still?
eternalfrost
Trainee

Re: malt corn mash

Post by eternalfrost »

ive done a bit of malting but by no means an expert.

if you bake your malt, the roots will pretty much shrivel to nothing. then if you really want them off, put them in a sack and knock it around, they should break off and be able to get separated like chaff from grain. if you use it green, most people just leave the roots alone, some say that green malt tastes bad but i dont have the personal experience to say either way.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

itsroger wrote:I have successfully malted about 15 lb of corn, got about 80% to sprout, just got some questions that i cant find the answers to here. I plan to mash it with about 15 lb of soured cracked corn.
How is the best way to remove the roots and sprouts, or should I just grind them in with the grain for an all corn mash?

If I bring the soured corn with about 5 lb of the malted to 180F and hold it there for 1 1/2 hours, then cool to 160 and add the rest of the malt, how long should I hold it there, or will it convert immediately?

I read that for beginners add 1 pound grain to 1 gallon water, think I'll go for 1 1/2 making about 20 gallon water , and 30 lb grain.
Should I add all the water at the start , as in 20 gallons water and the 15 lb sour corn and 5 lb malted corn, then add the rest of the malted corn , or cook the soured corn and 5 lb malted corn in 12 1/2 gallons water then add the rest of the water with the rest of the malt?

Are my temps and times close?

Is it best to strain through a bag then rinse with rinse water going into fermentor or drop bag into fermentor to ferment on grain?

Anyone got an idea from experience how much corn liquor this will make?

Will it help it to add backset from ujsm to the wash? before the ferment or in the still?
If drying malt ya can put it in a sack and knock them off And if using green and I probably would with the sour mash grind up as is .Id add the 5 lbs malt and 15 lbs corn together and if your doing the no boil method id just put in a insulted barrel .Pour water boiling hot and the temp by the time ya get it stirred up will be around 180F (Id try the gallon lb ratio also)Let Sit till temp hits 160 stirring a few times Add malt and temp should drop when stirred in to around 150f or so let sit covered till temp drops to fermenting temps stirring ever so often.Add your yeast .I like making starters out of some of the mash myself qt or two.I figure my grains as 1/2 their weight as sugar .If you get good conversion Id expect you to get around 3qts to a gallon 100 proof .If you want to hurry up temp drop ya could use less water and add a few gallons or so to bring temp down quicker to fermenting temps .Ive used gallon jugs with frozen water also to drop temps. The adding the backset to the mash would be a matter of taste thing to me .Could all ways use it to drop temp of mash to fermenting temps if ya wanted more of that flavor in mash.Great thing about this hobby is the trying different stuff.Try a search here on the mashing corn .Several posts on it
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
itsroger
Novice

Post by itsroger »

Thanks very much guys. This site is great, I've been doing this about a year now and read this site almost daily, I have learned stuff that'd take me 10 years or more to learn on my own, if I ever did!
Wondering if boiling for an hour or two would up the yeild or quality?