200 gallon still

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

powdermillbill
Novice

200 gallon still

Post by powdermillbill »

if I buy a 200 gallon still how much approxamately distillate will i get out ? if I can achieve 93proof...
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: 200 gallon still

Post by Dnderhead »

with a 9% wash about 18 gal. with a 7% wash 14 gal. but if that is total capacity you wont be able to fill it "full" more like 150gal.
and at 7% wash that whould be 10 gal .unless you are making fuel you do not need such a still.that is way over being a hobby.
violentblue
Rumrunner

Post by violentblue »

thats production volumes, best be licenced if thats the case. if not, you won't find a very warm welcome here.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

This is a hobby distilling forum we do have a fuel forum .What kind of use do ya have for a still that size?If its for legal distillation ask away. but were are not into the discussion of making illegal likker for selling in any form.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

:?:

If you are seriously considering a 200 gallon still then you must know the answer to that.

if you don't... maybe you don't need to have a still... :roll: :roll: :roll:

:lol: :lol:
this is the internet
jdonly1
Swill Maker

Post by jdonly1 »

Wow thats a big sucker :wink: Im in the process of doing a 44 gallon strippen still,man 200 is big and you would need some serious power for it :wink:
Hawke
retired

Post by Hawke »

I'd love to have a still like that. One run a year, and be done with it. :roll:
It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.
Valved Reflux, 3"x54" Bok 'mini', 2 liebig based pots and the 'Blockhead' 60K btu propane heat
Woody_Woodchuck
Novice

Post by Woody_Woodchuck »

I would rather have a smaller still and do many batches. Even using the same brandy recipes, every now and again you get that magic run where everything turns out just sooo perfect. Besides, how the heck would you get enough strawberries to run a brandy from with that huge thing?
Hillbilly Rebel
Swill Maker

Post by Hillbilly Rebel »

powdermillbill wrote:if I buy a 200 gallon still how much approxamately distillate will i get out ? if I can achieve 93proof...
Can't tell, to many variables left unanswered.

Noting that yesterday was your first post and the first day of joining this forum, and reading where you say "if I buy"... one, I'm going to make a big guess that you don't have a 200 gallon still and that you haven't made any alcohol before. Rather than just jumping in, why don't you read a while, a long while. This forum has a world of information just waiting to be read. You will probably find out a close enough answer to your question so you can figure it out on your own. Like Junkyard Dawg said, if you had one you would know how many gallons it would produce. In other words, experience is the best teacher and what ever your rig ends up being, by experimenting, by actually doing, you will learn what it will produce with what kind of mash and under what kind of conditions. As to a two hundred gallon still, you can run a lot more experimental runs on a five gallon still than you can on 200. If you lose 5 gallons of mash to a mistake, so what? But if you lose 200 gallons of mash, you have lost a fairly large investment. Read, learn, practice, learn some more, get it right in manageable quantities, then what you do is between you and your conscious.
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

Talk of beverage stills above about 100 litres (25 gallons) always makes me a little nervous. Any bigger is beyond hobby level for personal consumption.

Except if you got a proper licence for it, of course.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
jdonly1
Swill Maker

Post by jdonly1 »

HookLine wrote:Talk of beverage stills above about 100 litres (25 gallons) always makes me a little nervous. Any bigger is beyond hobby level for personal consumption.

Except if you got a proper licence for it, of course.
I wouldnt say that Hook,some of us havent got the time to run a still once a week or even once a month.Im looking at doing a 200L strippen still to try and save time.I dont ever sell any of the stuff I make but do share a lot if it with good friends :wink:
Godstilla
Swill Maker

Post by Godstilla »

powdermillbill wrote:if I buy a 200 gallon still how much approxamately distillate will i get out ? if I can achieve 93proof...
93 PROOF? I'm having my rig overhauled because I couldn't blow past 180 proof. I wish I had your expectations.
jdonly1
Swill Maker

Post by jdonly1 »

Godstilla wrote:
93 PROOF? I'm having my rig overhauled because I couldn't blow past 180 proof. I wish I had your expectations.
180 proof,I carnt get past 193 proof :mrgreen:
Ayay
Distiller

Post by Ayay »

Hey powdermillbill , if you're payin a lackey to stay awake for three or six nights then it's a go'er :) You won't be able to do it alone :(

I stayed awake for three nights a few times as a youth but it takes a toll. Six nights 'n days straight is real tough. 200 Gals is a team operation with payroll tax, sick leave an' all.

You really should be adding to this discussion in order to clarify things.
cornflakes...stripped and refluxed
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

I'd say that by the over-expectation on still size and under-expectation on purity, and the resulting replies, that powdermillbill is probably off reading, hopefully, before making a 2nd post here... Of course, he hasn't stated what he wants to end up with for spirits, whether flavored or neutral, pot still or reflux column, heat source, or any other details either... Perhaps just someone out of work with pie in the sky hopes of generating income the wrong way... Only time will tell whether this will have been his one and only post...
Northgamtns
Novice

Post by Northgamtns »

jdonly1 wrote:
Godstilla wrote:
180 proof,I carnt get past 193 proof :mrgreen:

Hell farrrrr!!!!!! 193 proof? Thats crazy... I am a beginner though so maybe thats a normal max
We make our own whiskey and our own smoke too, aint too many things these ol' boys can't do
Hawke
retired

Post by Hawke »

193.4 (US) proof is the highest attainable through standard distillation. :wink:

If you assume a 150 gallon charge @ 10% ABV, there is 15 gallons of pure ethanol available.
For a potstill this size to be viable, I would think a collection rate of at least 5 gallon an hour would be required. (6 hours to collect 30 gallons of 50%)
I'm guessing you would need a column in the 6" range to keep a reflux run to under 24 hours.
It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.
Valved Reflux, 3"x54" Bok 'mini', 2 liebig based pots and the 'Blockhead' 60K btu propane heat
phenol 90
Novice

Post by phenol 90 »

Man, that's a lot...

That's a lot of sugar!

Or will you be mashing? That's alot of mash and lauter tun and a heck of a lot of grain!

That's a lot of fermenter / wash-back too.

Seems like a lot of hobby, got a lot of time?

If you do and it is a lot of 'by-the-book' hobby, you may want to check in here as well:

http://adiforums.com/index.php?act=idx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

A lot of 'by-the-book' commercial distilling enthusiasts seem to be doing a lot of posting here about similar quantities.

Maybe though, you just saw the Colonel's 220 Gallon Double Diamond Copper Still, heard the sound track and had tortured pipe dreams for a few days thereafter like I did: http://www.coppermoonshinestills.com/id51.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Best of luck and stay clean......
The Apprentice
Novice

Post by The Apprentice »

I have lusted after the Colonels stills from afar.Image Even if I won the lottery the 60 gallon would be as large as I would go. I love pot stills. Of course if I won the lottery, I could have a row of them.
If you like learning from the mistakes of others, follow me. I'm making them all.
BigBlue
Novice

Post by BigBlue »

The Apprentice wrote:I have lusted after the Colonels stills from afar.Image Even if I won the lottery the 60 gallon would be as large as I would go. I love pot stills. Of course if I won the lottery, I could have a row of them.
I have been doing alot of reading and looking and reading and came to the final thought I will stick to 5gal at a time .

Why not go all out for the low low low price of $10900 you can have this.