cracked corn

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Red Dirt Ink
Novice

cracked corn

Post by Red Dirt Ink »

Where in oz can you buy cracked corn from as i live in the northwest and there its much where i am.
sorry if this has been posted before i try looking for it.
Aces High
Swill Maker

Re: cracked corn

Post by Aces High »

Check out any stock feed stores in the area, just for cracked corn feedstock. I also bought some from City Farmers in perth, but they're kinda expensive
Eugene
Novice

Post by Eugene »

Hi,

I get mine at the local produce store, (horse feed shop), the last bag I got was 20kg, (45 pound) for $19. preservitive free, good size, about 6-8 piece per crack, smells really good, he said they sell heaps and is always fresh.

Good luck
I like to Home brew, home distilling, home gunsmithing, pretty much anything you can do at home.
T-type
Bootlegger

Post by T-type »

Dang! 19$'s? here in kansas i can get a 50lb bag of cracked corn for $4.00's at the local feed packaging.
plonker
Swill Maker

Post by plonker »

Otherwise if you are desperate you can try polenta from the supermarket up there.. even more expensive though...
McGiver
Novice

Post by McGiver »

What about ground corn, is that better than cracked corn, and is there a quickie recipe for a corn mash handy? Just got done with the tomatoe paste surgar wash and this post caught my eye :)
olddog
retired

Post by olddog »

You should not need tomato paste, there are enough neutrients in corn.
OLD DOG LEARNING NEW TRICKS ......
McGiver
Novice

Post by McGiver »

Sorry dint make myself clear :Birdwatchers sugar wash recipe/ with the tomatoe paste, just ran that through last nite and was on my mind when i posted.

Back to the real questing, Is cracked corn better than ground corn? Or it dosent matter. How many cups/lbs, of cornsugar per 5 gallons in general.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

McGiver, whether you are planning on converting the corn or not is what makes the difference... If you're doing a corn and sugar wash then the type of corn doesn't matter as much as it will merely be used for flavor and nutrients... And it doesn't matter much if you're planning on using malt to convert the corns starch to sugar either, as long as you aren't planning on malting the corn that is...

Which method were you most interested in, corn sugarhead wash or all grain converted corn mash...???
McGiver
Novice

Post by McGiver »

I was thinking a corn sugar washsome time, although i do have quite a bit of dry malt that i need to get rid of. So im just looking for simle options to clear the kitchen of overage.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

Ground corn, as corn meal? that has the germ removed. it is ground finer so it cooks faster, no germ ,so less trub.
disadvantage,,hard to sparg. more expensive.

use corn sugar same as refined sugar.
McGiver
Novice

Post by McGiver »

Im rasing hogs right now, so i get my feed at co-op, i have chice of cracked corn or ground corn, its about $7.00 U.S. for 50 lbs. of corn when bought in bulk. So its not too expensive.