Blue Moonshine

Putting older posts here. Going to try to keep the novice forum pruned about 90 days work. The 'good' old stuff is going to be put into appropriate forums.

Moderator: Site Moderator

fireman7753
Novice

Blue Moonshine

Post by fireman7753 »

I did a simple sugar wash (10 gallons) and ran it through my column still. My distillate came out blue and smelled like ammonia. It looks and smells just like windex (maybe I have discovered their secret process lol). My system is 100% stainless and copper. I was doing a stripping run and the only thing that did not go right was I let it get a little hot at the begining. Is that what caused this mysterious blue liquid to come out? I did check it with my alchometer and it was about 80%. Any input would be appreciated.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: Blue Moonshine

Post by Dnderhead »

was the wash alkaline?
fireman7753
Novice

Post by fireman7753 »

I did not do any tests to the wash except for checking gravity. I kinda wondered that too, that maybe the color came from a chemical reaction with the copper. I just have never had this happen before and have always done the same sugar wash. The only difference with my wash this time is I had a over abudance of corn sugar and I added it to the wash as well as the granulated sugar. After colleging about a half gallon of the "blue stuff" I shut it down dumped everything and washed and scrubbed everything.
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

Is this a new still or have you made any mods to your rig? Because it kinda sounds like flux. Is it like a blue oily sheen on top?
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
FLquacker
Novice

Post by FLquacker »

Copied from the main site...
[previously] replied, saying it was probably due to copper salts coming from acid wash. I WAS WRONG!!!!

In fact, I've learned that it is just the opposite! Acid washes do not corrode the condenser (unless, perhaps, they've been allowed to sit far to long and have gone acetic), but neutral to alkaline ones DO. Heating an ALKALINE wash, particularly one with lots of nitrogen-containing compounds that have been put in as nutrients, liberates ammonia, which corrodes the heck out of reflux coils and dyes the distillate a distinct greenish blue.

The Upshot: if the WASH is turning blue, it's probably due to acid wash corroding a copper sheathed element or a copper boiler, but if the collected DISTILLATE is blue, (and probably ammoniacal, but not always), the wash should be acidified!

Turbos contain a lot of nitrogen-containing compounds, and at neutral to high pH, these can liberate free ammonia. At low pH, they are bound up with the acid as salts, and do not liberate ammonia. So, by adding nutrients to an already nutrient rich turbo, you can inadvertently push the mix over the line and get ammonia with your distillate.
fireman7753
Novice

Post by fireman7753 »

That sounds like what the cause probably is. I think I might have gotten a little carried away with my nutrients. I did the "that looks good" measurement. I will have to be more careful in the future. Thanks! I searched the main site and did not come across that post.
dixiedrifter
Swill Maker

Post by dixiedrifter »

DAP + sodium (bi)carbonate + copper = blue shine.